Props/toys you just love

LazerTag! When it came out I had my mom call every ToysRUs in Michigan looking for a set. We finally found a store that had them and drove over an hour to get there. My God was that a beautiful laser gun! I palyed with till it broke. I now have two mint sets, a Starlyte rifle and one pistol converted with a green laser.

I've got the lunchbox and thermos, like this one.

thumbnail.aspx

Sorry in advance. Sappy dad moment incoming.

Didn't have a lot of money as a kid, so I read most of my comics in the back of a tiny little bookshop. The owner didn't seem to mind I was "browsing" the used stack for an hour a day. Mostly DC stuff, so I saw the ads for the Super Powers toys, but couldn't buy them. I don't think they were even stocked in town.

Years later I got a good job and poor impulse control, and I slowly built a collection of the series 1 and 2 figures. Brainiac eluded me the longest in those pre-Bay years. They weren't mint or anything, but they were nice on the shelf. And then I boxed them up for a move and never unpacked them. I liked them, but they'd never been my toys. I moved with the box twice, but it went years without being opened. It started to really bug me.

But now I have a preschooler. He's learning to read comics and he watches Super Friends on YouTube. So I gave him my Batman and Robin. Then Supes. Wonder Woman. Aquaman. He's earning the rest. And I finally sprang for the Super Powers Batmobile, because they haven't made a decent two-seater for the dynamic duo since Bats got all serious. It just got a fresh scratch in a broadside with the Mach 5, but I don't care.

Because I did it backwards. The collection has become toys for the first time. They're not mine anymore, but they are my favorite.

I miss my GI Joe Commando Attack board game. It was huge. You could use the actual figures as pieces. It had cardboard buildings. It was awesome.

Great Thread...

I use to own the following:

Voltes V
Daimos
Mazinger Z
Grendizer

and other Soul of Chogokin robots in die cast metal...

I kept them in mint condition in their boxes and would only play with them from time to time...

Sadly, they started disappearing one by one... stolen by my uncles to support their habits back in the day... :(

My aim and hopefully soon is to collect them all again...

I miss my GI Joe Commando Attack board game. It was huge. You could use the actual figures as pieces. It had cardboard buildings. It was awesome.

OKay, I always thought you were a lot older :behave G.I. Joe Commando Attack | Image | BoardGameGeek

Sorry in advance. Sappy dad moment incoming.

Didn't have a lot of money as a kid, so I read most of my comics in the back of a tiny little bookshop. The owner didn't seem to mind I was "browsing" the used stack for an hour a day. Mostly DC stuff, so I saw the ads for the Super Powers toys, but couldn't buy them. I don't think they were even stocked in town.

Because I did it backwards. The collection has become toys for the first time. They're not mine anymore, but they are my favorite.

Best story I´ve read in a long time, collection wise. :cry

I am currently pretty much in the same boat, I have a huge collection of toys, and with our little one growing and growing I care less and less for the stuff but want to see him play with it!!! There you go, MOC 12 Back Luke Skywalker ...

But seriously, a friend of mine buys 70ies and 80ies toys for his kids, because the play value is much better! Jaws from Marx/Arxxon, Evil KNievel, Big Jim, Action Man ...

EDIT: I just realized that we´re in the prop replica section :lol We should keep it to props, toys have no place in here ;)

I always wanted a good Robotech Valkerie transforming fighter. I did have the Robotech Next Generation Mars unit transforming fighter and that's the one toy I wish I still had.

When I was a kid, I had inherited and built upon my two older brothers' collection. When it got to the point of overfilling a refrigerator box, we couldn't haul my massive box of goodies with anymore every time we moved.

Now, poor isn't the right word, but I was far from privileged. After I had to give up my toys, we couldn't spare money for stuff like that. Maybe on the rare occasion but at that point, I started making my own toys from, pretty much, garbage. Whatever I found around: I'd collect, bring home, cobble together, play with until I couldn't fix it anymore.

Believe it or not, that whole set up was just for me to say: my favorite toy was whatever I made.

Now, as an adult with unbridled affection for useless things and terrible spending habits, I've got to say my favorite "toy" as of now is easily my Hot Toys Nicholson Joker.

For my "props", it's gotta be (if it can be counted as such) a piece of the Igloo from STAR WARS that I was given for my donation to the Save The Lars Homestead Project. It's just a piece of old concrete, but dammit, I love it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back