Titanium Shield

Chris Fields

So after several attempts, the shop was able to get a titanium spinning done. It took lots of material from me, and many different drawings to get on that they could make. 4 different attempts, first one they couldn't get to form right, second one cracked when they were forming it, third one cracked when they were cutting the grooves. The cracks are due to the hardness of the material. If it's not treated properly, it gets brittle. Last attempt was a success. Downside is, the grooves are not able to be as wide and deep as I would like. Also, titanium is naturally a darker grey color than aluminum. But the paint should make them pop more. I hope to take one of the other ones that cracked down to the shooting range, just so see how it holds up :)

Not sure how I am going to do the back yet, but I'll at least have the four main bolts welded on.

DSC01204.jpg

DSC01203.jpg

Titanium right, Aluminum left
DSC01205.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

Looking forward to getting this one done.

Last edited:
What.the.hell.man. o_O ...... I cant beleive you went through with the titanium lol, it looks great, and can't wait to see you paint it up. I thought I loved my aluminum shield when i had it.... But ...... titanium.... Just rolls off the tounge lol

Aluminum's density is .098 lbs/cu in, Titanium's density is .163, so at the same size, titanium is about 1.7 x heavier. However, I dropped the overall diameter down slightly, as well as the thickness, and the weight is pretty close at the moment to a fully done aluminum shield. So right now it's about 7 lbs. Depending on how I do the back, it may shoot that weight up, or keep it close to what it is now. Still deciding.

Out of curiosity what Ti alloy is it? I used to work a lot with Titanium, mostly 6Al-4V.

this particular one is grade 2. We couldn't get the grade 5(6AL-4V) to move in the spinning unless we severely heated it. That will be the next step if the funds are there.

this particular one is grade 2. We couldn't get the grade 5(6AL-4V) to move in the spinning unless we severely heated it. That will be the next step if the funds are there.

I figured it had to be a CP alloy. Titanium, while being awesome, is just a PITA to work with. To use 6-4 you would probably have to anneal it in a vacuum oven. Even then, that's going to be really hard to form. And if you think forming Ti is bad try casting it sometime!

I figured it had to be a CP alloy. Titanium, while being awesome, is just a PITA to work with. To use 6-4 you would probably have to anneal it in a vacuum oven. Even then, that's going to be really hard to form. And if you think forming Ti is bad try casting it sometime!

Our issue was actually our die. Since they've been spinning aluminum only, I had them make dies up for aluminum, which are usually wood. With a wood die, we can't add heat for the forming. They have done heated forming before for grade 5, but we would have to make a steel die up for this, and that is very expensive.

I've looked into spinning Titanium before, that takes a hefty price tag, mostly because of that issue of having to do a steel die for the heat forming.

What is being done with the cracked shields? Just curious.

freaking awesome... how bad/noticeable are the cracks? They may make nice battle damaged shields. Will the star be titanium as well? I can't wait till you throw some paint on that bad boy.

freaking awesome... how bad/noticeable are the cracks? They may make nice battle damaged shields. Will the star be titanium as well? I can't wait till you throw some paint on that bad boy.

They aren't too bad, but they caused some warpage, and they caused the grooves in one to really mess up.

I plan to groove the star out on this one, so yes, it will be titanium. :)

Yes, That will survive.
Will the company your working with offer blanks like the aluminum ones that are offered elsewhere?

Chris, you are making me more jealous by the day here. I would love to get my hands on one of those titanium damaged shields. I have so many ideas.

Chris, any tests of the aluminum at the shooting range? Me and a few friends have been wondering for a couple days now if the aluminum shield would stop a small enough bullet, or even deflect one.

Yes, That will survive.
Will the company your working with offer blanks like the aluminum ones that are offered elsewhere?

No, they rather not do any more titanium because it takes a toll on their machines, lol. Also, the titanium was provided by me, so they would have to get their own supply or order it through me.

Chris, any tests of the aluminum at the shooting range? Me and a few friends have been wondering for a couple days now if the aluminum shield would stop a small enough bullet, or even deflect one.

Nope, I can tell you the aluminum wouldn't do too well at all. Maybe a 22 wouldn't go through, but it would leave a nice dent. I believe a 9mm would go through, as well as 40 and 45. .380 auto may not go through either, but it too would leave a massive dent.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back