Titanium Shield

I was able to aquire a titanium plate for 'ballistic testing'. I requested it from a metal shop who works with titatium armor plating. I'll be shooting a variety of guns at it over the weekend. I don't have a good video camera, but I'll do my best to post some ballistic shots of the titanium when I'm done.

BTW-Its grade 2 titanium, they are giving me three different thicknesses. I won't know the thickness until I pick them up. More info to come tomorrow afternoon.

sweet.. that is the same grade Ti as my shield... I am guessing the one is the video is grade 5 though... much much stronger.

wait, your shield is 1/8 in. thick? thats crazy!

the plate in the vid is apparently a titanium steel compound and valued at 200 USD. so given its size, that same material could be had for less than a grand maybe?

wait, your shield is 1/8 in. thick? thats crazy!

the plate in the vid is apparently a titanium steel compound and valued at 200 USD. so given its size, that same material could be had for less than a grand maybe?

Yep, some of the aluminum ones from the film are 1/8" with a added layer for the bracket. I did the same for titanium, but I shrank the diameter a bit to save weight. Even still, they are heavy, .25" would be way way too heavy.

Very cool idea. I was actually going to post that AK vs Plate video myself. Please though, for the love of god, nobody do anything stupid like trying to use an aluminum shield to stop bullets.

yea i watched C:TFA last night on netflix and realized how thin and flimsy the shield is in the movie. When Cap is on his knees and the Howlin' Commandos bust thru Skull's window, Union Jack tosses cap his shield with one hand and a flick of the wrist and you hear the floppy sound effects lol!

yea i watched C:TFA last night on netflix and realized how thin and flimsy the shield is in the movie. When Cap is on his knees and the Howlin' Commandos bust thru Skull's window, Union Jack tosses cap his shield with one hand and a flick of the wrist and you hear the floppy sound effects lol!

That was all CGI actually in that scene... The 1/8" shields are not flimsy at all.

you could also make a shield out of Beryllium, which is an amazing material with terrible side effects (including toxicity). If it could be sealed, it would probably be the closest thing to an real shield made of fictional vibranium as it is more than twice as strong (Young's and shear modulus) and more than half the density. It is used a lot in aerospace, but it is not trivial (but I am sure vibranium was not either :lol).

you could also make a shield out of Beryllium, which is an amazing material with terrible side effects (including toxicity). If it could be sealed, it would probably be the closest thing to an real shield made of fictional vibranium as it is more than twice as strong (Young's and shear modulus) and more than half the density. It is used a lot in aerospace, but it is not trivial (but I am sure vibranium was not either :lol).

beryllium is far weaker than titanium in many of the needed properties. I work with beryllium quite often in the space and military industry, just for other things.

Well, I apologize for the lateness of my results. I suffered a bullet wound from a richochet off one of the titatium sheets. All of my sheets were 8"x8", 1/8" and 1/16" thick, domed for shield type duplication of deflection. On the 1/16" thick I made dents with full metal jacketed .45, .40, and .38 target rounds. On the 1/8" thick, I only scratched the surface on all calibers. Now that I have a new hole in my right shin, I won't be doing any more ballistic testing. Sorry it took so long for the results.

Holy crap man... how close were you to the target and were you allowing the target to get knocked back or down or was it rigidly fixed? One of my titanium shields is with a local Policy officer and he plans on testing it out with everything they have. Your results are what I expected, aside from the hole in your leg... :(

Last edited:
They were leaning against a sand backstop. I was getting a little carried away. I shot it several times, and it fell over, instead of picking it up, I shot to flip it over, while it was still rolling down the backstop I shot and it deflected it back at my leg.

Umm maybe a little too soon but......."You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"! Glad your ok though. Ive seen some nasty ricochets with high powered rifles vs. steel plates, when people get too close.

Hope for a speedy recovery.

Nah, not too soon. I always wear safety glasses, I was a little over 25 feet away, and was only shooting a 40 caliber glock at the time of impact. Luckily it hit the out right side of my right leg, left a nice bloody hole. The bullet went through and through. I was actually out running two days later.

I can't see the pics but I'd really like to. did you delete then from the host? I'm just curious how you attached the braces to the backside without having hardware poking through to the front, or even how that's done on aluminum shields.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back