Fantastic Four

FF is not dark. Far from it. Sure, there are a few stories in there that are dark, but the team itself isn't surrounded by tragedy like lets say Batman and Spider-Man. They did try it with Superman in the MOS and look how that turned out. It was utter crap.

FF in the comics is the platform for cosmic Marvel and, at its best, is sci fi without being space opera.

Some guy somewhere got this pic of an FF billboard which shows The Thing who looks like the illegitimate child of Doomsday. And if I didn't before, I definitely now can honestly say I can't see those two as Sue and Johnny Storm. I just hope this movie does so horrible that Fox just gives up and negotiates the rights back to Marvel.

c9155a420825558ad1ce19a6de57ac57

Sue Storm is brunette?
*groan*

stop with the revisionist superhero crud. Any director/producer who wants to make bold and pointless changes to a successful comic with a long heritage is just someone who isn't a fan of the comics to begin with. The brilliance of Marvel Studios is simply that they hire comic fans to make superhero movies. Is that so complicated?

On the subject of changing a character's race......most arguments seem hell-bent on whether the change is warranted, whether the character is REQUIRED to be white, etc..... But that's just arguing in circles. My problem is THIS: Respect the CREATOR.

Superman is the best example. Created by Jerry Siegel and Joel Schuster, the sons of Jewish immigrants at a time of anti-semitic upheaval and war. Superman is a metaphor for them. Speaks FOR them. Making him anything that does not resemble them is disrespectful, IMO.

Stan Lee is white. Like Gene Roddenberry, Bob Kane (also the son of Jewish immigrants), and George Lucas, he went with his own background. Created characters in his image, for the most part.

To me, it isn't about forced racial diversity. It's about new guys messing with someone else's creation, and I have a HUGE problem with that.

As for this one-movie hack's FF movie, he compares it to a cross between Spielberg and Tim Burton. A: he's delusional if he's comparing himself to Spielberg, and B: Burton is a one note director who ruined a LOT of movies, so........... Yeah this is gonna suck. Don't compare your movie to other guys, it's a big red flag.lol

I hate young Reed Richards.

The first time I ever took any interest in the FF was because I was reading a different comic and another superhero went to reed for advice. I was never a big comic book reader, but the little I saw made it seem like he was the real go-to guy for superheros with questions. A spot that without him, Tony Stark seems to have all to himself in that universe. But one of the main bases of the character was that he was someone everyone respected.

It's the character trait that first drew me to him. Even looking up the origin (I never knew the actual FF origins before today) it seems like his beginning was more late 20's as opposed to most superhero origins which are teen. (In the movies Tony Stark seems to fill that void as well...they had the guts to let him be older and a go-to science guy and it worked).

I felt he was too boyish in the two movies we had recently, with the fake white hair. He lacked the gravitas needed for that character. Making him as young as he is in this one just makes me think of the Poochie episode of the Simpsons. Will he skateboard too? Maybe a scene where he goes to a Beiber concert so that the youth can identify with him?

Also, even though I never read the comic, after looking up the origin online just now...it sounds like a better story than what they are pushing here.

It just goes with what everyone else has already said here: If you don't like the story or the characters,make some other movie you actually like. Let someone who actually likes these characters make their movie.

Last edited:
Please take the Marvel name off that film.
There is absolutely nothing interesting, engaging or original about that trailer.

The Thing in the comics was designed after Jack "King" Kirby himself who was an older, gruff, stogie-chompin' guy from the Bronx.

... so they cast a skinny 29 year old English dancer to play the part ...

Eh...I could see Redboxing it. Definitely looks better than the ones that came out a few years back. That BWAAAAAAA noise really needs to be retired for trailers, incidentally. It's entered eye-roll territory.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back