Target Boba Fett ESB & ROTJ Helmets, Rubies Stormtrooper, Kylo Ren, Clone Trooper

Country Paul

Sr Member
I was lucky enough to be given a bunch of Star Wars toys & a few other bits from someone at work who had been clearing out some of their children’s old toys & thought I may like them.

Amongst them were a Hasbro Clone Trooper Helmet & a Radica Tank assault Game, along with some blasters that I’ll deal with in another thread

I especially liked that there was a Radica Tank game as I’ve seen Electro binoculars made from these here on the RPF.

I found the Doopydoos Resin kits for the Radica Game on eBay, I had a sheet of thin plastic (fire escape sign) to make a template to cover the big Hasbro Clone Helmet visor & some spray paints in the garage.

My model making/painting skills aren’t up to much so there wasn’t going to be any sculpting, filling etc. & I knew I wasn’t going to be able to do much more than given them a new coat of paint.

I actually wanted both to still “work” once I’d finished so the helmet still needed to be able to come apart to access the batteries & this meant I’d have to live with the seams (not sure I’d have the skill to fill them anyway).

Last edited:
Re: Star Wars: Hasbro Clone Trooper Helmet Mod & Radica Tank Assault Binoculars

Radica Tank Assault/Electrobinoculars

I’ve seen a few of these done before on here with scratch built parts, I’m lazy & not very skilled so I ordered the Doopydoos resin kit,

Kit came quickly & was pretty nice, I took the stickers off the game & cleaned it up & rubbed it down a bit then just glued on the resin parts,

Then just Primed in white & given a couple of coats of White Satin,

Hasbro Voice Changer Clone Trooper Helmet

I was excited about getting a helmet, (big gap in my collection, would love a Stormtrooper helmet but for now I just have this!) I’ve looked at these lots of times & wondered how easy they were to work with,

I’ve seen a few conversions done on these usually involving lots of bondo & skill & then casting off the finished one, I can’t do any of that unfortunately so for me it has to be pretty much a straightforward paint job, I also didn’t especially want to disassemble the whole helmet or lose the electronics.

I had an old plastic fire escape sign so I cut it up to make a new visor to cover up the big Hasbro visor, it’s not perfect I just did it by eye & as it’s stuck on top the lenses is now set back a bit behind it, but it will do for me,

Found this helmet to be pretty awful to work with, the plastic is bendy & shiny & shreds when sanded, had a fun time trying to glue the flat visor on, ended up with a combination of epoxy glue & double sided tape.

Once I had finally got the visor to stay in place I sanded the whole thing so hopefully the primer would take, gave it lots of coats of primer, once dried I lightly sanded it & gave it lots of coats of Satin white spray.

I decided I wanted a bit of colour like in the animated series so masked it off & gave it a spray of bright red (it’s what I had in the garage), had a few hairy moments when I took the masking tape off because in a few spots the white paint came with it right down to the plastic, guess I missed those bits with the sandpaper.

Radica Tank Assault/Electrobinoculars

I painted a few details on, just a bit of grey & red, made it up as I went along (wanted it to go with what I have planned for the clone helmet).

Decided that I didn’t like the pristine look plus every time I put it down on newspaper it picked up black smudges, so I weathered it a bit, just a little sanding & some silver paint to give it a knocked about look, reasonably pleased with how it turned out.

Hasbro Voice Changer Clone Trooper Helmet

I touched it up with a brush & some flat white model paint (all I had) & repainted the band with some black Gloss, pulled off the masking tape on the visor & I guess it was finished, the paint scheme isn’t supposed to be anything specific, just liked the red & white.

Didn’t think my paint job was good nearly enough for a pristine/new helmet so I decided to weather & hopefully cover up a few bits,

So I just went at the red bits with a file & the white parts with some black dry brush.

Actually quite pleased with how it looks with the weathering, I could live without the seams, gaps etc. but I guess it is what it is just a kids toy painted & hopefully it looks better than when I got it,

Put me off painting helmets a bit (I was considering ordering an unfinished Phase 2 Clone kit from eBay but don’t know that my limited skills would do it justice)

Maybe if I wish hard enough one day it’ll turn into a nice set of Phase 1, Phase 2 & Stormtrooper Helmets!!!

Nice work. Very inspiring.

By any chance do you have a pattern for those pieces you cut to alter the visor area>

Thanks for your comments,

I spent ages online looking for a template for the visor & couldn't find anything, I ended up using some electrical tape to mask out the area & just made a paper template by eye that I cut around,

& then I forgot to keep it!! luckily I'd cut out some visor parts from plastic that I decided was too thin to use,

I've still got them (they're the same size as the ones I used) anyway I've drawn around them on some A4 & scanned it in, so if you print the picture off full page on A4 size they should be right.

bit low tech I know but I printed one out & tried it & it fits ok maybe a mm smaller for some reason

if you can't use the picture here then PM me & I'll email you the jpeg.

I'm not saying I got the visor 100% right but I think it looks ok for a quick, easy fix

I may actually post this template as a seperate thread because I'm sure there are others who could use one.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I saved it to my files. This is one of those thing that I would like to do at a later date so it is good to know I have it for when I am ready.

Many thanks, Country Paul. I've just received a helmet today and I love what you and several other members have done with them.

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread of mine as I'm Stepping outside of my comfort zone a bit & having another go at painting up some helmets

I got inspired by the repaints of the new Target Helmets I've been seeing

Im going the spray paints route with the Boba Fett (cost twice as much in paint as the helmet cost)

so far I've sanded, primed & undercoated in silver

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 398
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    484.9 KB · Views: 271

I also got the target Kylo Ren helmet

I pulled out the eye mesh & the Velcro that holds the 2 halves

epoxied them together which makes them sit better together but I've used a little filler to try & hide the join a little

first coat of primer tonight

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 384
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 296
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 661
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 419
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 295
Re: Target Boba Fett & Kylo Ren helmets & Hasbro Clone Trooper

I'm a bit intimidated about starting the paint job on the Fett (& not sure I have the right shade of grey for the first coat) so I carried on with my Kylo for now

undercoated in silver (which shows up all my sanding prep shortcomings)

took the chance to try out maskol for the first time on the dents on the back (can always paint over later)

given it its first coat of satin black will have to paint the silver details on the front by hand once it's dried as it looks a bit too hard to mask off to spray (which is a shame)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    613.9 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 279

Gave the Kylo Ren a 2nd coat of Satin Black & pulled off the maskol from the dents

this was my first time using maskol in preparation for painting my Fett helmet

the dents look a bit in your face to me at the moment but maybe that's because the rest of the helmet needs some weathering to balance them out & obviously I still need to paint the silver details on the face

I have know way of knowing how the dents look on the actual helmet as far as we know we've not seen the back (they may be black?) but I like weathered props :lol

Currently trying to decide what grey to use for my first coat on top of the silver on my Fett helmet I have one that I think is too dark (Humbrol sea grey) & one that may be too light

im quite tempted just to use the grey primer that I usually use For everything as it'll only be showing through as part of the weathering under the other colours & I know I can paint over it no problem

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 321
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    572.4 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    558.6 KB · Views: 257

Dents came out really well.

Did you see that Hasbro is releasing a Kylo Ren voice changing helmet (full helmet, not mask) that is part of their Black Series line? Looks promising. Images at the bottom on this link: http://www.rebelscum.com/2015-NYCC/NYCC-2015-The-Force-Awakens-Hasbro-Twas-The-Night/

yes I've seen the pictures of the Black Series voice changer & it looks very nice

may make me regret getting this one (although it's a lot cheaper) especially as I'm in the middle of trying to paint in the silver details on the face & I hate doing it, been a long time since I've painted anything significant by hand but I couldn't see that I'd be able to mask off well enough to spray which was a shame

im not sure I've got steady enough hands for all the lines :lol

still a long way to go

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 310

This is looking good :thumbsup, i might have to get one of these off Ebay and swallow the price! :p

Did some more work on the Fett & Kylo helmets today

finished the silver face details on the Kylo Ren (which were a PITA), added some car window tint for a lense

put maskol on the Fett Helmet before it gets a coat of Matt grey, quickly realised that I probably don't have the patience or skill for painting Boba Fett Helmets

ive tried to mask out some of the key details but mine will be a very generic ESB style (if I manage to finish it at all)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 279
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 279
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 285
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    563.3 KB · Views: 309

I like my Star Wars Props weathered so I've done some on my Kylo Ren

obviously it's not accurate as I've not seen the top, back or sides of the actual prop

I just went with what I liked :lol

could have done a better job in a few spots, the seam is more obvious than I'd have liked

the silver face details are far from perfect thanks to my shaky hands & they may be a bit too silver?

I'm pretty pleased though for a cheap plastic Rubies helmet I think it's turned out halfway respectable

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 346
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 475
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 242

Sprayed my Boba Fett Helmet (with Humbrol Sea Grey)

was dry this morning & started pulling off the maskol

first time using it in a substantial way & it works pretty well

i may have gone a little overboard on the silver parts but I can't face redoing it (+ I've run out of grey)

im only going for a generic Boba Fett so I know I've not got the details 100%

time to start Maskoling again for the next coat

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 228

Progress on the Boba Fett is slow (as I said I'm not sure I really have the patience)

maskoled the back & gave it a coat of Army number 4 grey beige

I'm a bit worried about the maskol this time looks like it started lifting/breaking up as I sprayed not sure why maybe I didn't wait long enough

guess I'll see how it's gone when I try & peel it off tomorrow

with all the layers of paint seems like a lot of opportunities to screw it up :lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 167

pulled the maskol off the the beige layer & it seems to have worked ok

i lost slightly more grey than I planned because there were patches where the grey was actually sitting on the earlier layer of maskol

when I took the masking tape off the parts that will be painted red it pulled up any maskol I'd missed earlier nicely

my only worry is that the silver paint is getting a little duller with each time I maskol & wire wool but there is only going to be one more layer now

Ive given the ears a coat of sand & a coat of light olive

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 186
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back