Han in Carbonite coffee table - custom commission

MonCal

Our very own prop electronics expert, Hyperdyne (Jim Shima) asked me if I could create a Han in Carbonite coffee table for him so we put our heads together on a design and this is what I ended up with:

Han_table_02sm.jpg

Han_table_15small.jpg

Han_table_16small.jpg

Han_table_10small.jpg

Han_table_19small.jpg

Han_table_03small.jpg

No, that is not my living room. A good friend has a really nice home and let me invade his space for an evening. Can you find the Star Wars books in the living room?

We decided to make the table a realistic sized coffee table, so that meant I had to cut his legs off
wink.gif
A full sized piece "might" look good while including his feet but it would be too long for most living rooms and couch arrangements.

I wanted the table legs to be as simple and hidden as possible, while still being strong. My vision was to create it so that it almost looks like it is floating if you are looking at it from the right angle and also I didn't want the table legs to pull a person's eye away from the table. I had a similar thought about the standoffs (glass supports). I originally didn't want the bright posts to pull your eye away but I decided to go with the bright finish on those.

A person could still add a small shelf underneath for magazines, remote controls, or of course your favorite Star Wars coffee table books
wink.gif
If for some reason this design seems too tall for a person's personal liking, it would be easy to unbolt the legs and cut a few inches off of the lower part of the legs.

Since I had never built anything quite like this I took my time and I did a lot of research and experimenting because I wanted it to come out perfect and hopefully not have any unforeseen issues down the road such as de-lamination, separation, warping, etc. I also wanted to figure out the best type of finish to put on it since we used a few different types of materials for the paint and the weathering / patina process. I wanted to be sure a heavy, shiny finish would adhere to the various types of materials and leave a nice "wet" look, to match the original prop in the film.

This will probably be a one of a kind as I really don't know if I want to build another one
smile.gif

You can see the very beginnings of this project here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/mc-han-carbonite-project-139014/

Thanks for looking. I hope it is good "eye candy"

Last edited:
This looks great. How long did you work on it? Also, how heavy is it? You said the legs are easily bolted on. So this is all one piece? Or does the glass top come off also?

Really awesome work.

I'm really amazed!!!

I've always thought this Han position would be perfect for hanging the towels in my bathroom :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

I haven't weighed it but I would guess maybe 40 lbs..??

It is all one piece. There are bolts that hold the leg assembly to the framing underneath.

The glass is bolted to the table using the glass "stand-offs". The glass has holes drilled in it for the stand-offs and it is tempered. The stand-offs have bolts that go through the framing from underneath.

thanks Rocko :)

I am sure Jim will be very pleased with it. I don't doubt that he'll ever have lack of a conversation starter in his man cave ;) I'm surprised he wasn't here to pick it up the second I posted these pics on the net.

Last edited:
Beautiful Coffee Table. I'm pretty sure you can buy a Han solo in Carbonite on the Dented Helmet forums, has its own little section now. Might have to give this one a go for myself ;) thanks for the great idea!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back