*SIGH* after 6 months of waiting it arrives

nwjedidave

Sr Member
My newest commissioned custom tailored costume shirt is here.

6 months of waiting, excuses, more waiting and it shows up.

Quality is very nice, material is above average, I'm pretty happy with it. I really don't think the price I paid is justified, but oh well.

I try it on and ----

ITS ABOUT 3 SIZES TOOOOOO SMALL........ *GROAN* *GROWL*

so I email the maker and ask "What do we/I do from here?"

the reply --

"Those were the measurements you sent me. Remeasure and send me the new measurements and I can make a new one. When its ready you can send me back that one, and I can send out the new one."

WTF?

I know I didn't gain 85lbs in 6 months and I know the measurements I sent were spot on.

So do I resend the "new" measurements and maybe never see the correct sized piece again?

Give up? List the size small on eBay and hope to recoup my $$ ?

FRACK ....... some people's kids ......

I hate to see transactions come to this, but if they're a member of this community a little public pressure goes a long way. In the past, dealings that have been made public have resolved these kinds of misunderstandings (assuming that its as innocent as a misunderstanding) and both parties involved want to make good on their end to remain in good standing with this forum and this community. Word gets around about how both buyers and sellers conduct business in this hobby. If someone makes good on this for you, everyone will know that they did the right thing. If they're screwing you and won't make up for it, it's also probably something everyone here *should* know about so that they don't fall into the same situation with the same vendor.

Best of luck with whichever route you decide to take. I know these things can be extremely frustrating.

I had a very similar experience with someone from this board also. Almost the exact same story, though it wasn't six months late. If someone is lame enough to drag their feet for six months, and then provide such lousy customer service as to try to put the blame on you, I'd say run for the hills, cut your losses, and put the puppy on ebay.

I ended up selling my stuff on ebay, and turned a bit of a profit, so I guess that's decent. i've also sworn never to deal with this person again, and do my best to warn potential customers away from him. What is funny in my mind is that I've been single handedly responsible for taking away about 10,000 dollars worth of work from this person. yes, that much money. And to think, all he would have had to do was say something like "wow. Sorry for the mix up. tell me what I can do to rectify the situation, and I'll do it". But instead, he got all wrapped up in being "right", and telling me off, instead of trying to make a paying customer happy.

Ultimately, he lost BIG time. But that's the nature of the game. and if you don't know how to play it, youre gonna lose.

Hrm, I do believe I'm ranting.. :)

The whole "custom measurement" thing is a load of crap.. I've had bad experiences with this whole concept personally. When you send a tailor your exact measurements, they should make the item to FIT the individual consequently making the item LARGER than the measurements...DUH, no brainer right?.? :confused

So then I started just giving measurements to tailors of measurements of clothes I have, essentially measuring the clothes and everything went fine from there :confused Still makes no sense to me............

Give me a choice of S,M,L,XL any day over that whole custom crap..

Hope you're situation turns out OK for you :thumbsup

Steve

I don't think the maker is a member here anymore. He has been banned from quite afew forums. I think westies 14 is right in saying that both parties should work in an outcome beneficial to both parties, but as we all know sometimes that doesn't happen for one reason or another.

thanks for the replys everyone . I think this whole thread has some good ideas, and words ..

DL 44 I pretty much agree .. But I'm just getting into the "custom made" clothing/costume thing.

I'm pretty sure I'll talk my wife into wearing it for some pictures and see if I can recoup my $$ using the online auction.

BTW I'm 6' 225lbs my wife is 5' 6" 115 and its just abit big on her ... LOL

If it is who I think it is you are lucky to have gotten anything.

Sorry to say E-Bay or a manniquin are you only choices. :(

What is the mystery shirt you had the problem with? I haven't been able to figure out from the discussion so far.

Regardless of the product, if you're not interested in working with this vendor again, I'd just sell the aforementioned shirt, hope to get your $$$ back and put the word out about your experience to warn off others.

Steve

DL 44 - let me speak to the construction side of custom measurements. I have to take custome measurements, and I think the work I do turns out better for it. I don't know what constitutes "small, medium, large, extra large" in the first place, and that standard varies from garment to garment - or else why would I have five pairs of pants which all say they're a "size 8" but fit me five totally different ways from too large to a squeeze? I would much rather ensure that your sleeves are not too long or too short, your shoulders aren't pulling across the back of the garment, and the buttons all line up right than just whip out something by a crappy commercial pattern and tell you "well, it's the size that you wanted, I don't know why it doesn't fit."

That said, I don't know who this jerkwad is who pawned the responsibility off on you, Dave, but a good way to catch him with foot in mouth is to quick remeasure (don't do a whole production, just you and a pal with a measuring tape) and tell him "that's odd, my measurements are exactly the same. I can't give you new measurements because they're identical to the old ones." If he promised you this garment it IS his responsibility to fix it if he screwed it up, and it sounds like he's willing to do so - but the problem is whether you want to wait for a replacement or try to find someone to do it who can do the job right the first time.

I've only ever had that happen to me ONCE...but I think the guy was a few fries short of a Happy Meal, because I got someone with the same measurements as he gave me to try it on, and it fit them fine. Any other time I've had fit issues, I've fixed it free of charge and turned it back around to the customer within a week to two weeks of receiving it. My policy is, if it's my fault, you get the fix free - if it's your fault because you measured wrong or fibbed on that waist measurement, you have to pay for the extra work. In six years, it hasn't failed me yet.

Sounds like your guy made the wrong size, though, if it fits your wife. :)

well Obi, I can tell you who WON'T be getting my Galactica Viper pilot suit order .. LOL

(see the first post in this thread for a clue. lol )

Indeed.

Tho I do find people tend to not take the measurements seriously. If you're getting something custom made, you can't measure yourself with a "it won't matter if I'm a little off" attitude. Best thing to do is find a tailor/dressmaker in your town that will do a measurment chart for you. Probably cost you all of 10 bucks, but you'll have correct measurements.

I've only had one bad experience in this area with a fella that sent me his measurements, I made his piece, sent it out, and receive an email a week later saying "It doesn't fit, it's way too small." I got him to resend his measurements but told him to not even look at the first ones he sent and to make sure to have someone else measure (you can't accurately measure yourself BTW). He resent the measurements and they were a full 4 inches of difference in the chest from his last set. So it isn't always the maker's fault.

my wife has always done any measurements I needed.

<div class='quotetop'>(nwjedidave @ Nov 3 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]1350208[/snapback]</div>
BTW I'm 6' 225lbs my wife is 5' 6" 115 and its just abit big on her ... LOL
[/b]

my guess is after almost 7 months he lost or mixed up the measurements. Maybe today I'll see if I can decide on a decent digital camera and list it on eBay later tonight?

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Mule @ Nov 5 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]1351170[/snapback]</div>
I got him to resend his measurements but told him to not even look at the first ones he sent and to make sure to have someone else measure (you can't accurately measure yourself BTW). He resent the measurements and they were a full 4 inches of difference in the chest from his last set. So it isn't always the maker's fault.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'></div>
My wife is 5' 6" 115 and its just abit big on her ...
[/b]

Are we talking a TOS tunic? If so, I might be watching that auction. (I'm 5'4 and @140lbs. ;))

It's bad enough to pay for something and have it not look like it did online or in the catalog, but to give accurate measurements and wait 6 months? That REALLY sucks.

Steve

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back