Painting foam armor (Iron man Mark VI)

It will look as good as your skills will let it.

If you go the resin route you will need to most likely include bodyfiller and a lot of sanding into the process.

As with all things like this, if you have a good build quality to start with it shows through in the end product. If you have scabby glue seams and don't rework them, then they'll show through too.

The layers would be:- Foam, Glue, Resin, Filler, Primer, Paint, Clear coat.

It will look as good as your skills will let it.

If you go the resin route you will need to most likely include bodyfiller and a lot of sanding into the process.

As with all things like this, if you have a good build quality to start with it shows through in the end product. If you have scabby glue seams and don't rework them, then they'll show through too.

The layers would be:- Foam, Glue, Resin, Filler, Primer, Paint, Clear coat.

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. Likely won't be able to do resin on my current build, though, considering this. Doesn't really matter for now, as it's my first build and being done in a major rush to be completed in 2 weeks time for a convention. I'm calling it my Mark 1. Once I wear it, find problems that need to be fixed, etc, I plan to re-do in EVA foam, and will try the resin and filler.

Does bondo make the piece heavy, though? I've heard it adds quite a bit of weight. I really don't want something heavy because I'm a weakling and won't be able to handle even a partial girly suit. Also, I know it takes quite a bit of time unless you use power tools, and unless my roommate will help me, I can't use his tools and probably don't know how to anyway. :/

Bondo is heavy if used to build up large areas with thick layers, if you have to do this you built your part wrong.
Tools help but they are not needed. Use thin layers which are easier to work by hand.

Remember, scabs can always be made to look like battle damage.;)

Bondo is heavy if used to build up large areas with thick layers, if you have to do this you built your part wrong.
Tools help but they are not needed. Use thin layers which are easier to work by hand.

Remember, scabs can always be made to look like battle damage.;)

excellent advice. Alot of people think bondo is supposed to be globbed on which is so wrong. Its just for filling small imperfections Not change the whole look of your piece. So Rebo is correct that it all depends on how well you put your piece together. Thats why take your time building it or waste double time fixing it.

excellent advice. Alot of people think bondo is supposed to be globbed on which is so wrong. Its just for filling small imperfections Not change the whole look of your piece. So Rebo is correct that it all depends on how well you put your piece together. Thats why take your time building it or waste double time fixing it.

Thanks so much guys. Sorry, OP for kinda hijacking your thread, but it was a related question!

My glue is a bit scabby, but I'm not going to care too much about it for my first build. It's really just a test prototype to me. Simply trying to do it as fast as possible, since I had to change and adjust a LOT of things from the original pep. Won't be perfect but will be good enough for a test run.

I think my glue problem is probably because I used the 1/8" craft foam instead of thicker plastazote or EVA. Will go with thicker foam next time. I've been unable to score some of the folds, so I've got a sort of...round, bubbly shape going.

wow, got in on this late. you don need to prime it. just seal it before and after. watch out if you using spray paint. some will crack no matter what.

Hey, I update my thread. I finally change my glue for a better better better one.
My suit stay flexible with the paint. I choose interior metalic Paint from Krylon and i think the color is great. (I hope so) ;)
Sorry for the bad quality..still from my ipod.

I havent even started the suit but.. i've seen on youtube that some people paint battle damage on their suits, do you guys know what brushes/paint they use?

Thanks,

I AM IRON MAN

foam board is ploystirene, if you put resin anywhere near that it going to melt and make some toxic vapors. DO NOT DO THAT!

Some newbie questions: I pretend to do it this way:
- Layers of PVA (5 at least)
- Fiberglass resin (without fiber)
- Paint

Is this process OK?

Thanks in advance

Okay I am a super noob (lvl 100) I just started doing this but im not sure what glue imma use. This will be my process:

Craft foam helmet.

Use Wood glue (casco Wood glue)

Use krylon White gloss dual primer on whole piece (primer and paint in 1)some parts will have this as Surface)

Use krylon gold spray(paint) and krylon smoke gray (paint)

I havent bought any glue yet so im wondering if i can use it.

ALSO i live in sweden but i bought my paint in Canada (spray paint in sweden is really hard to get and very expensive)

not trying to thread jack here but would it be safe to go with just 1-3 coats of plastidip? ive assembled the suit for my 4 yr old and was looking at this option, dont really care for longevity(as this is the first of many suits i think :D )

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back