Companion Cube d6

drknotter

Not a "prop" per se, but I wanted to share this anyways. I had an idea awhile ago to create dice out of the companion cubes from Portal. It turned out that many other people had the same idea long ago, but I wanted to learn a bit of 3D modelling, so I created my own.

Most of the dice I found were stylized to look more like a die, and less like the companion cube, so I endeavored to create a d6 that was as close to the proportions of the actual companion cube. This thread was invaluable for getting the correct proportions. Anyways, I created the model in SketchUp. I hadn't really done any 3d modelling before, but it wasn't too hard to use it. I got it printed at Ponoko, and here are the results. You can definitely see the layering from the printing process. I tried putting a couple coats of primer on it to see if it would smooth it out a bit, but it's still pretty noticeable.

Does anyone have any tips to make this super smooth?

I was also thinking of doing a complete set of D&D dice: d4, d6, d8, 2d10, d12, and a d20. Let me know what you think. Thanks for reading!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back