Game of Thrones Kings Guard Armor

So I am making two more for people and I've decided to update the knot pattern. I found a couple of discrepancies and will be fixing those. I will also be adding on the vambracers and greaves, casting a mold of the shoulder pauldron's because I finally figured out how to get that last curve and tweaking scales and paint job. So below is what I've done so far. I do apologize for some of the images.. my camera's focus is slowly dying and sometimes I forget to use my tripod. =p

The gentlemen wearing these are much taller then me so I had to adjust the pattern. ( I'm 5'7". They are 6' and 6'2") . I tried get a more bell shape out of the plastic by using foam and bondo to build this:

Of course it helped some, but I think I can make a better template for some other time, but it gets it better then my first time.

There are a few changes in the middle sigil. Like the wing bits are not carved in and I've removed some unnecessary knots. I've also added in other detail I didn't catch the first time such as the the carvings on the bottom and on the side of the the middle sigil.

This is more accurately what the sigil is:

More later.... once I fix this curve on the shoulder and stuff. =)

ok so I've almost got the embossed look.. almost being the key word. But it took me forever to figure out what sigil or symbol they used on the greaves and I hope I'm right since I had to use this.. as my only reference. But photoshop was helpful. It is the side symbols on the chest piece, back to back.

Outstanding, your work is so beautiful! Thank you for posting so many pics, it is a big help for me!! and thank you for having the time and patience to answer everyone's questions, many are the same that I wanted to ask :)

Thank you for the kind words Santuspiox. I do what I can. I am just trying to recreate the work of other talented artisans who worked on the show. I will answer what I can. I should probably put more details on how I achieved a few details. I will work on that later. I have to finish three others now.=)

So I mixed 5 color combinations.. with different parts and 4 brands to get this. I still have to add straps and buckles and a piece of leather at the bottom... but what do you think? Bronze is light outside and dark inside.. so painting it indoors without good even lighting.. yeah makes it tough to judge.

Last edited:
What do I think, Holy crap you nailed the colors perfectly! These are some of the nicest leg greaves that I have seen made of pvc. One question (if you don't mind), did you use 3 pieces of each greave? Does the side pieces go all the way to the front and then the front bent pieces placed on that piece and finally the decorative piece placed on the front piece? Are they all glued with the pvc glue you mentioned or any rivets added? I hope you can understand this dumb question. By the way, I learned soooo much more in regards to watching your youtube video!!

When I first started reading this thread I wasn't convinced that it would Work with the materials you were using but now I'm a convert, it looks so good. Well done. Those greaves look so professional!

So to respond to you Sanctuspiox.. the greaves are two pieces. Th base is 6mm pvc, which I formed and then carved the main grooves and the angled center on it. The second is the actual crest that is my attempt at it looking embossed. I still need to work on getting better at that some other time. All of it is glued with PVC glue. Just realize too much glue and even though it will stick... it can become soft, so when you carve into it, it will be firm at first and then brownie/cake like texture next. So you have to be careful. If you find that to be a problem, because you've carved too deep, then just use some auto body filler like Bondo and fill it in and re-carve. And thank you for the compliment. I hope to redo those videos with some clarity and tips at some point in time.

Now here is the final product at this point. So one is done. The guy is getting scales from another site. Thankfully, because there is now way I can do like 400 scales in a few days. But I am getting better at my paint job with my air brush.. just can't get a handle on painting the little white areas with a little brush and I'm not use to my air brush enough to do that small. I'm also trying to figure out other clean up techniques for some other project. mmmmmmm

teranmx, THANK YOU! For all of your help and answering my dumb question, I really appreciate it. Everything looks so real, your airbrushing is dead on. I am looking to buy my first airbrush and parts (any suggestions where and what brand?) The more I look at your work, the more I might just buy a piece or two from you, if you still do commissions . . .I am in NO HURRY at all, in fact I wouldn't need the pce until Sept of 2014. Just drop me a line if you still are accepting them. THANKS again, I have learn so much!

Sanctuspiox Well the airbrush I have is a Paasche double action airbrush. I know Paasche is pretty popular. But I'm not one to hand out airbrush recommendations. Maybe post a thread on the RPF about that.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back