Yet another Loki build

EHyde

Jumping on the bandwagon here, because Loki's awesome. Well, actually I've been working on it for a while, but slowly, and I've only just started putting it together in the actual fabric I'll be using. But I thought I'd share my progress anyway, because why not?

I just finished gluing the scales onto the pants--while that dries (I mean, it's supposed to take only 15 minutes but I'm gonna let it sit a day just to be safe) I'm going to start working on the tunic in the actual fabric (I posted a couple pictures of the muslin/craft foam mockup just to show where I am with that).

Welcome to the club! Instead of being Loki's army, we're going to be an army of Lokis.

I like where this is going. :D

Welcome to the loco world of Loki, from one Loki to another I'm happy to see you and yes, we will have an army of Loki on these boards soon! :D

Love your progress thus far, the detail on the pants is phenomenal too. Keep it up!

Well, the pants are finished (it's been a while I know--I took a break and worked on a couple other costumes in between).

tumblr_m7wqaivX261rvky18o1_500.jpg

...and I've finished the shirt!

The cuffs are unfinished because they have a rather complicated shape that mimics the shape of the armor, so I was going to wait til I had the armor finished and sort of trace around it.

The chest armor isn't the final piece--just a craft foam mockup I made a while back. The shape of it isn't quite right I think.

I’m still disappointed with the gold bands on the sleeves—it’s meant to be a black fabric checked with gold, but I couldn’t find any material like that and my brilliant plan for making it turned out to be … not so brilliant. So instead I used a fabric that’s woven with gold one way and black the other. But these bands won’t be that difficult to switch out if I ever do come up with the right material.

The skirt is in two layers—you can see in some of the reference pics that there’s a second layer of green inside, cut slightly differently so you can see them both. I used silver zipper stops here—as best as I can tell, the costume uses both gold and silver edging in different places.

Based on the reference pictures I was pretty sure that the sleeves were attached to this layer, not to the jacket, but other people have looked at those same reference pictures and come to a different conclusion. I think this way allows for more freedom of movement though, which is always a plus.

Some progress on the coat:
tumblr_m9001kGhBA1rvky18o1_500.jpg

I hope to finish the coat (aside from crimping the zipper stops) today, then I can move on to the armor.

Thank you! I used model magic (crayola air-drying clay). I made a negative mold out of Sculpey with thin sharp edges, like a cookie cutter, and then rolled out thin sheets of model magic (with a decent amount of baby powder mixed in to make it less sticky) and stamped them out one by one. They're painted with chrome spraypaint and a bit of gold airbrushing on top of that.

Incredibly clever! My ex wife got our super sweet sewing machine and that kills me! Watching you go through the prcess is very inspiring and has me wishing for that machine. *sigh*! Love the way you stamped out your armor plate pieces too! Sweet!
m

EHyde, your pieces look fabulous! I would never have guessed that the armor was Model Magic; it looks great. Are you going to be doing the full gold "royal" armor for the top layer, or the scuffed-up armor he wears for most of the movie?

I'm just starting on our three Lokis (everyone in my costuming group got in a fight over who would get to be Loki, so we're ALL going to be Loki now. At least it's canon for him to have shadow clones!). I've been having trouble patterning the collar on the coat, though. I can tell from the references that there is no seam around the bottom of the collar, but the armor is always blocking the view of the top of the coat, so I can't tell where the shoulder seams are supposed to lie. Did you put a seam at the top of that Y-shaped piece that runs up the back, or does it run over the shoulder and into the front?

Also, may I ask where you got your zipper stops? I've been having a hard time locating them in bulk; all I can find are 10-packs at retail price, and I'm afraid that will be expensive for three costumes.

(FWIW, I agree with you about the sleeves being attached to the bottom layer. That's how I had patterned it, anyway!) :)

Thank you! I'm doing the scuffed-up armor for now (and I honestly like that look better) but probably will upgrade to the full shiny armor with cape and helmet eventually. I have never had good luck actually sculpting things with model magic; it's really hard to mold details with it, but it seems to work well for push-molds at least.

Honestly I think I did not get the seams on the coat quite right, I was having a lot of trouble figuring out where to put them, too (for instance, my collar does have a seam around the bottom of most of it, it just extends downwards in the center back). But I've attached more pictures of mine so you can see what I did (including a pic showing the side seams--I did lapped seams, instead of normal ones, so that the zipper stops that go there can be crimped on).

I got my zipper stops from Wawak.com but I have seen other people get them here (item #11) which is a much better deal, though only available in aluminum. The ones from Wawak are a slightly different shape from zipper stops I've seen elsewhere; more squareish, which I think works a bit better with the costume.

Thank you! That's a huge help; now I can stop fretting about the zipper trim. :)

Thank you also for posting the pictures; I like the way you did the side seams. I think I'm going to play with my patterns a bit more and see if I can invent a way to construct the collar without a seam in front. I know it has to be physically possible; I just don't know how yet! ^_^;

I think the collar and the front pieces could be joined together into one big piece; on mine at least there was just a very short seam connecting them and it was straight, but it would make for some tricky corners to sew elsewhere and slightly less efficient fabric usage ... I also wasn't sure if the collar would stand up so well if done that way--I'm pretty sure the fabric I'm using is a decent amount stiffer than what was used in the movie, and I haven't been able to get any sharp folds in it without using either glue or topstitching.

... or possibly I'm getting a bit lazy in my quest for screen-accuracy ;-)

AVA, this gif showed up on tumblr, it sort of gives a better idea of how the shoulder-area seams are supposed to go.

tumblr_m93vkwHCOh1rv1d8ho2_500.gif

I'm not going to change mine at this point, but maybe it will help you.

o_O This looks absolutely fabulous thus far, especially the back of the coat! Mind if I ask how many yards of leather/pleather it's taking you for the coat and the tunic underneath? I'm also curious as to what pattern you modified or if you drafted it from scratch yourself.

I hope to finish the coat (aside from crimping the zipper stops) today,

Well, that was a laugh.

tumblr_m99118nQVJ1rvky18o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m99118nQVJ1rvky18o2_1280.jpg

(still not the proper chest armor) The tails were far more difficult to attach than they had any right to be, but it's done now, except for the trim. Here's a detail of the shoulder area (this pic was taken before they were firmly attached):
tumblr_m98ep8ZrkI1rvky18o1_1280.jpg

I am not at all happy with how the gold fabric here is photographing, it looks so pale and washed out. Well, everything in these pictures looks a bit washed out. It's better in person, but eh ... still I plan to swap the gold out for something better when I'm able to.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back