Silicone Mask Making Questions.

FutureorBust

Hey RPF!

I want to make a silicone mask but some questions first. I am going to use chavant to sculpt the mask on a CFX armature. After I sculpt it. What should I use to mold it? I've heard Smooth-On shellshock fast backed with plasti paste will work. Also I've heard of using BJB 1630 will work. Which one is better to use? Can BJB be used with fiberglass matte?

How do I make keys on the CFX armature?
What should I use to release the armature?
How do you pour silicone masks? Do you attach some kind of tube during molding so you can pour the silicone in through that tube?

Thanks.

I just did my first silicone mask, It was done for a trailer I directed in PA about a month ago. You can see it in the link here.
Revenge of Brainic - YouTube

I sculpted it in WED clay and molded it using 2 layers of bondo/resin mixture and then 6 layers of fiberglass. I also used a CFX form and I simply took the mold all the way down and let the exposed plastic of the form along with the area that touched in the eyes to be the keys and it worked fine.
I did put a PVC tube in the top of the mold and then turned it upside down and injected it. don't forget to drill small bleeder holes in places where you might get trapped air.
You will need to build an injection gun (search PVC foam injection gun for instructions)

And the best release agent is sonite wax.

Hope this helps.

Matt Green
featureffects.com

Hi Future or bust, if you want to see how to do it check out this DVD from Neil Gorton, part of a 4 piece set. Scotty's Make-up and Beauty

And this one, I have his DVDs but you can see them for free on his site. Silicone step by step

You can pour up the silicone with a tube and funnel, just make sure that the silicone does not have a quick gel time, other wise it cuold start curing before it is filled. Stright fibreglass is just fine for the mould. I am assuming it is a full head mask.

Alastair

Shellshock is strong on its own, Plastipaste may be gilding the lily. I do like Shellshock as a mother mould for Rebound. This could be a question for the Smoothon website as well - have you had a chance to check it out?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back