USS Reliant 1/537 scale model help for a beginner

Ace2020boyd

Ive been thinking about getting this model and building it. Ive notced people adding lights and everything. As for someone thats did models about 10years ago will something like this be good to get back in to the swing of things? Any help hints from anyone building this in the past? help for a beginner

Last edited:
Re: Enterprise 1/350 scale model help for a beginner

uuuh, no! not in my opinion, it is allot of model even for an experienced modeler. i would really get another model to practice on before taking this monster on, get good at filling seams, air brushing, setting decals, and understanding at least the basics of lighting and working with leds and light blocking.

It's not so much that this kit is tough to do, it's really engineered pretty well and should build easily enough. It's the lighting and decals that will be a lot of work, plus it's pricey. Like trooper says, start with something smaller and cheaper, and work up to it.

Any idea then for beginner models? Can be anything but some thing star trek would be nice.

There seems to be a lot more interest in this particular model recently.
I have one that I'm going to build in a few months as well. It will be my 2nd 1:350 Enterprise.

The 1:537 USS Reliant model might be a good start.
:lol exactly what i was thinking
you can add on details like aztek paint masks from aztak dummy , brass etched details from PARAGRAFIX, and clear parts as well as more accurate resin parts from dons light and magic . this kit could get you started in the right direction, and learn new tricks along the way.

you can add on details like aztek paint masks from aztak dummy , brass etched details from PARAGRAFIX, and clear parts as well as more accurate resin parts from dons light and magic . this kit could get you started in the right direction, and learn new tricks along the way.

You were reading my mind there. I had ALMOST typed up the exact same parts list as you have, but decided not to.

The Reliant would be a great starting point. While it's similar enough to the Enterprise in a lot of ways that are helpful if you intend to build the 1:350 later on, it's also a lot smaller and less complicated. The new release has corrected details and aztec decals as well, which is great if you despise detail painting as much as I do. :darnkids

What excatly are brass etched details from PARAGRAFIX?

Yeah USS Reliant seems like a good way to start! Is there places where you can get lights for it? I want to try to get a list of everything i need before i dig into something like this but so far thank alot with the help.

If you do the Reliant make sure to get the reissue from Round 2, they corrected some of the problems from the old AMT kit.

Any idea then for beginner models? Can be anything but some thing star trek would be nice.

You can very well start with a Reliant, but without lights!
Get your bearing on how to assemble the kit. See where you have problme thre. Get used to putty and sanding. Test your legs on detail paint work, onhow to apply decals first. Before you attemtp to light a modell. At least that would be my advice.

I recommend you check out this guys videos on his build. Just Google "From TrekWorks Round 2 Models U.S.S. Reliant 1/537" I don't think he is a RPF member and he doesn't claim to be a professional model builder but his stuff looks great IMO and he does a good job on his videos keeping stuff simple for people like me.

I recommend you check out this guys videos on his build. Just Google "From TrekWorks Round 2 Models U.S.S. Reliant 1/537" I don't think he is a RPF member and he doesn't claim to be a professional model builder but his stuff looks great IMO and he does a good job on his videos keeping stuff simple for people like me.

Yeah, I saw his videos about 3 days ago. Pretty awesome. I would love to do this model with lights but would love to have a light kit for it.

Are the lights from him all 1 color or will he make it so that the lights match the colors that are on the ship? Also thanks for the link.

everything that ive got from him have the correct colors, it doesnt hurt to ask him :) he usually pretty qiuck on responding.

Any tips on building this model? I noticed people talked about sanding and putty. Im guessing for sanding down the tab on some of the pieces but the putty im not quite to sure off.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back