Vinyl Lettering

franz bolo

Sr Member
I have some artwork that was cut out at a sign company.

I wanted to coat it with something like a thick varnish. Has anyone ever done this?

Is there any chemicals that should be avoided?

thanks

FB

Be careful. I had a painted metal sign, applied the viny letters and polyurethaned the whole thing, days later the vinyl deformed some, came sticking up, almost like the vinyl was melting.... Had to redo everything, painted the sign, polyurethaned, then applied vinyl. I would imagine there would be some brand, etc that would work but you better look into it and be damn sure before hand.
:)
CM

<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Nov 1 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]1348666[/snapback]</div>
I have some artwork that was cut out at a sign company.

I wanted to coat it with something like a thick varnish. Has anyone ever done this?

Is there any chemicals that should be avoided?

thanks

FB
[/b]

Thanks, that was what I was affraid of.

I'll do some internet searches for this.

FB

I found this:

CAUTION.

Also, we do not recommend applying a clear coat of any kind of sealer over the vinyl graphics. Never apply clear lacquer, polyurethane, varnish or any other clear coat over the vinyl. The solvents in these clear coat products ATTACK the vinyl and will actually cause it to “curl” in less than 4 months.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back