Shredder - TMNT - My first build ever!

89Forever

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a few friends that i've watched build costumes over the years and even inquired a few times about how they did what they did. Most seem to be a little secretive about their methods. So when I found the RPF I was really excited that strangers would freely and gladly help where people I actually knew were afraid of competition. So to the wonderful people here, i thank thee. A special thanks goes out to PepMaster, Stealth, Fierfek, the folks on Fierfek's SW pep thread, the pep question thread, flagweaver, Deelite, mikey123, and the other folks at the SoCalProp Party that I cant remember, but were more than willing to share their works.

Why Shredder? Moreover, why the Utrom/Armorized version?

Well first of all, I wanted something iconic that wasn't overdone. Super Shredder from the end of the first TMNT movie seemed like an instant win in my mind. I've never touched a sewing machine, so i needed to keep the material creation to a minimum. While looking through reference photos, Shredder seemed like it was mostly cloth, where Demon Shredder & Utrom Shredder were mostly armor. So that was it, Utrom shredder it was. I easily found a free pep file created by PepMaster.

shredder_02.jpg

Last edited:
This has started out as a missive pile of cardstock...
20120616_230842.jpg

I thought i'd never get through all the cutting, scoring, & folding. I'll never think pep building is easy again, i promise...
20120616_230946.jpg
20120616_231010.jpg

First I tackled the helmet...
20120618_205614.jpg

then the Torso armor
20120619_231132.jpg

They look surprisingly good together i think...
20120619_231447.jpg

Last edited:
Getting the "easy" stuff out of the way, I finished the arms...
(Photos coming)

One Shin...
20120630_043328.jpg

and one shoulder...
20120630_043716.jpg

And then i tackled the dreaded skirt...
20120701_053009.jpg

Last edited:
Utilizing the advice of Stealth and his "TheHeroTutorials" channel on Youtube, I speant 3 days searching for SmoothCast 321. Which apparently is banned in California (thank you liberals), but i was able to find a similar product, SmoothCast 300. Again due to the ban, i couldnt get it in anything larger than a pint. :unsure

Tonight i'll pick up paint brushes, a face mask, aluminum foil, & bondo...
(Pictures to come)

BTW, I started with some SmoothCast300 on one of my arm pieces. holy crap! when they say it has a 3 minute pot life, they mean it. It started turning into snot and then 10 seconds later into a snowball. I'd much rather have something with a 15 min window.

I also used fiberglass & resin to add support to the inside of the forearm and back of hand pieces.
(pictures to come)

Last edited:
BTW, I started with some SmoothCast300 on one of my arm pieces. holy crap! when they say it has a 3 minute pot life, they mean it. It started turning into snot and then 10 seconds later into a snowball. I'd much rather have something with a 15 min window.
Sounds like my bondo in 105* heat. :angry

i didnt realize Co got that hot. i assumed you were in az or nv. you can bondo inside though cant you?

i haven't gotten to the Bondo stage yet. maybe tomorrow if the holiday doesn't interfere. i thought it was fumeless. good thing i have a balcony and a face mask.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back