Need Help - Iron Man Arc Reactor

ChanningIsOssim

So, I have everything I need for this build.

I tried cutting the acrylic/plexiglass/whatever, and it's hard as crap.

Any suggestions on how to do it better/what else to use? I'm up for anything.

I really appreciate your alls help!

I would recommend a dremil with a graphite cutting disc... Hello, by the way! I am a new member... just joined today. But I have been watching this site for months. LOVE IT!

More details about what materials you are using, what tools you have available, what your plans are, et cetera might get you more help. Also, there is no need to bump your thread thirty minutes after starting it. You will get the help you are looking for if you're patient. Use the search function and take a look at some of the other arc reactor builds here to get some ideas

Kevin is right... we really need more details in order to provide proper assistance. Based on the limited info I would say a dremel, a file, and sand paper are your best bets.

yeah my dremel cuts through plexi like butter. Dont freak out when you cut though because it does melt the plexi and will leave crust all over the edges. They just break off by hand though once they cool, which is just a few seconds. Also if you dont have a dremel dont skimp on quality. Even a nice one is not too expensive and you can build just about anything with a dremel and the right bit. I recommend one with a cord since I find the batteries ones never last long enough. I bought a cheap dremel at first years ago and it was a pain.

I just use a professional to laser cut acrylic parts and bases, for my props, its not too expensive to have small parts laser cut ,however if you are doing it yourself with basic tools , a dremel is the best tool to use and take your time with it.....I love mine ,cutting steel parts and aluminum also.......with the right accessories of course ........

My dremel..well, it sucks. It's battery powered and dies out quick. I was using a kind of plexiglass/acrylic sheet I purchased at Lowes. I was really tired when I posted this/stressed. My bad xD. Thanks for the welcome, btw!

@Kevin, I have looked at probably 30+ builds from all over the internet.. I'm going to probably go with the one similar to throwingchicken's from youtube. Instead of using the LEDs he used though, I am using an LED strip I bought at Walmart. (got that idea from another video..can't remember whose). I WAS just going to cut the other detail parts out of the plexiglass, but like I said I had tons of issues. The scoring blade or whatever absolutely blew with my circle. I guess I'll have to invest in a better dremel. Am I correct? If not, are there any other inexpensive materials? This is my second *real* build. I made an alright Cap Shield, but it's nowhere near the quality I've seen on here.

I can get more materials without problem. I'm just ~$60 dollars in, which is about $20 more than I was expecting. I was seriously stressed, lol. I had no idea I bumped it THAT quickly. My apologies!

You might want to look into styrene (plastic sheets that signs are made of). You can get it at Lowes/Home Depot/Wal-Mart... Just look for the "For Sale" signs and the like. It cuts well, you can layer several pieces together to create a thicker piece, and you can sand it too. The plexi might be a little difficult to cut those detail pieces without the proper tools

You might want to look into styrene (plastic sheets that signs are made of). You can get it at Lowes/Home Depot/Wal-Mart... Just look for the "For Sale" signs and the like. It cuts well, you can layer several pieces together to create a thicker piece, and you can sand it too. The plexi might be a little difficult to cut those detail pieces without the proper tools

Do they have it in clear? Thanks for all the help. Sorry about my rough entrance!

UPDATE: Googled it...figured it out.. Lol. SO, I may go with that.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back