Yale and ERA Tardis Key Research (Info for the 1963-present keys)

Re: Yale and ERA Tardis Key Research (Info for the 2005-present keys)

Your question had me further scrutinizing the keys. Here's what I came up with on that note:

A comparative tracing of the three:
View attachment 100341

The Perception Filter keys match the Father's Day key as well.

Please note that the above drawings are in no way accurate. I did a quick and dirty job. Please don't go through the trouble of trying to cut keys based on them.

Still, nice work for a quick job.

All great info. I think somebody should do a run of the 10th and 11th Doctor Who keys. My Doctor Who collection is growing, but no keys yet.

Do you mean a run with Keys that match the screen used teeth? Or keys that are sanded and/or have the character associated key chains?

Because I wouldn't mind a few sanded ones myself, though I would prefer the teeth not be cut so that i can have them cut to match my other keys and lock, but that's just my preference.

Screen accurate teeth are cool as a display piece for sure, but since mine will be functional I've no issue that the teeth don't match. Which bring me to...

Or do you just want an ERA key? because I got mine here: Era Rim Cylinder - Door Lock - Nightlatch | eBay

I'd recommended the brass cylinder as all the New Series Doctors had brass.

I figured for the sake of archiving (and because i am bored here today) it couldn't hurt to post the pics of the Doctor and Companion keys from the New Series. Let me know if I missed anyone out. Companions who did not have their own key in the New Series were:

Adam Mitchell (the companion who couldn't)
Mickey Smith
Sarah Jane Smith (yeah, I'm counting her because she rocked!)
Amy Pond
Rory Williams
River Song (seems she didn't need one)

First the Doctor's Key, as stated above he just left it natural, no chain or twine etc.

Eccleston: Not sanded in this pic but could have been in part of Series 1
1x08-Fathers-Day-5.png

Tennant: From what I can remember it's always been Sanded for Tennant. However if a pic of a nonsanded key can be seen in use by him, let me know and I'll update this.
4x16-WatersOfMars-2.png

Smith: And sanded again for Smith
5x01-TheEleventhHour.png

Next, the companions:

Rose Tyler: Not sanded here in Aliens of London (when she gets a key) but can be seen sanded in The Long Game (which can be seen in an above post). It is a very specific key chain here, both Straker and I have replicated this and would be happy to give pointers to anyone who would like to as well, I'm sure.
1x04-AliensofLondon-A.png

Captain Jack Harkness: The Time we can see it it is sanded in Sound of Drums.
In Bad Wolf he had the key loose in his pocket with no chain or ring. Impossible to get a good screencap as they don't do a close up of it.
Then in Sound of Drums he had it on his key ring with lots of other keys. - This is the best cap I could get of his keys.Of course you can see his along with Martha and the Doctor's keys being made into Perception Filters but I was more trying to show his key chain)
3x12-The-Sound-of-Drums-2.png

Martha Jones: I know it's hard to tell from this pic but when Martha is given the key in 42 it appears to be unsanded - Look at the hole where the chain goes through - Now it could just be light reflection but the way it's reflecting around the hole and the rim of the key looks to be in the same pattern as the non-logo side of the ERA key. However if it is unsaded then it can't be an ERA key as the side shown would be the logo side. Later in Sound of Drums it is easy to see that it is sanded.

Marth's key is just on a ball chain, no ring. Although it seems she wasn't overly fond of the chain as she doesn't have it on the key in The Sound of Drums.
3x07-42.png

Sally Sparrow: Not really a companion but she had her own key. Her key was not sanded in the beginning of Blink - and also appears to not be an ERA key - but when she uses it in the TARDIS door the key becomes a sanded one (Which can be seen in one of the above posts)
Blink_385.jpg

Donna Noble: Donna's key is sanded and has no chain or ring or anything. The companion's keys got less and less fancy as he gave them out.
4x04-The-Sontaran-Strategem-2.jpg

That's all that I have. Again if I've left someone out, let me know. I do know that Sarah and Jo both nearly brought a TARDIS key to life in Death of the Doctor but I did not cap that yet either, not sure if it is needed.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with my boredom.

Also found this interesting from one of the DW card games:
TardisKey.jpg

Looks to be an ERA key with wear at first but if that is the case then the picture is either flipped on the card or it's one of the non-ERA keys as the side shown is the logo side of a standard ERA key. Of course it could not even be a screen used key but it is interesting that it matches Martha's 42 key in this way.

Last edited:

out for a family Bar-B-Que today so I'll answer later tonight. Good stuff everyone!

I'm pretty sure it's not an ERA as I remember a few years ago it being identified on another forum - the TARDIS builders I think - but that forum has had so many versions and hosts that I can't find the thread. Could have been here even though. I think the key said access or axess or something like that, though I can't be sure till I find that thread or someone who remembers it. But they have used other brands as well.

EDIT: Here is it, it's axxess+ The key in this pic is too short but they do offer the ER1 style key, they just post draws rather than this site which had a real pic. During my search I found other brands such as ilco, JMA and NWKS which all have the proper look - though only the axxess+ looks like the blink key. NWKS looks like a great match for the Water of Mars still above though.

axxessplus.jpg

And Blink again to compare the logo (remember the key above is too short and a different blank code - which is why the logo is perfectly round and not flat on the bottom, that flat part is part of the ER1 style - but they do make the ER1 keys, just can't find a real pic)

3x10-Blink-3.png

In fact, I contacted a few companied in the UK to make copies of my ERA keys so that I had some to hand out as gifts, I was given a few different brans alternatives which all had the same look with the round top and one shoulder but ERA Security had actually agreed to help me out so I went with them in the end to get my copies made.

EDIT: The first company I was speaking with in the UK said they could make blanks for me out of one called Silca brand and they gave me this link to their site: NW Keys Ltd - Silca ER1 Era cylinder key I know the picture here looks oval and not round but the assured me it was a round top not oval. That said, in the end I did go with ERA Security as they offered me the real key - which I like because I know they were used in the show and I love that they say "era" since the show is based on Time Travel - and because they actually came through. No disrespect to those at nwkeys but they said they would get back to me on a quote and then disapeared.

Interesting. I looked up what Axxess key would fit but it's number 71 and the picture I found was the wrong shaped head. Makes me wonder if that key in Blink was a different key JUST for that shot. I can imagine them being on the set, realizing they needed a Tardis key but didn't have one so they just used the closest match from some grips own key ring XD Still, that does indeed look like the right match. What Axxess key number is it supposed to be? Only few that match for me is 71 or 111. 71 for the channels and 111 for how it looks.

Yeah I actually wasn't too happy when I got it but thankfully I had the real ones that I bought prior with a cylinder of their own.

I had thought this as well, but a friend of mine seemed to think it would be easy to sand and buff the chrome knob no problem. He does that sort of stuff from time to time. But I am not ruling it out myself.

I think that would only work if the lock wasn't chrome but brushed stainless. Chrome is a plating and if you sand through it it's rather hard to fix without paying to have it chromed again. Digitally painting it out is easier I think.

Here's a shot from SJA as well. And while they could have CGI'd it too, it is less likely given their budget.

SJA-Death-of-the-Doctor-Part-2.png

Not the same shot. It looks like some of this was used in that previous digital shot but this is real. he light on the outer ring is natural and there's no blue in the keyway. There's also a shadow under the lock on the blue of the box here that wasn't in the other. This is a much better look at the door lock than the other picture.

Did she? Nice. I don't have a deviant art myself but I keep being asked to get one. Yeah I gave that to her in February at Katsucon. I like your D Shackle as it does have a good match, but the thing I like about mine is that it's self locking so that the thing won't unscrew in her pocket. That said, I'd be happy to have the ebay seller from you as I'd like to compare in person. And I counted about the same as you or near enough, 38 or 39 small links and two large ones, so either 40 or 41 in the end, I'd have to count my chain again to confirm exactly as I did this back in January though. I blew up the publicity sill of her in photoshop counted, made the chain, then took pics to super impose over hers for good measure.

Well if you're curious the D shackle I used is great once tightened up. I used a pair of smooth jaw pliers to give it an extra quarter turn but if you're interested: CHAIN D RIGGING SHACKLE FOR BOAT 5/32´´ check it out. The seller originally listed it as 5/8" but then went to 5/32" or 4mm which is the threaded shaft diameter. Still the same one I bought though.

After trying 40 I kinda liked mine a bit longer XD It may not be accurate but I liked how 55 felt in my hand XD

Last edited:

I figured for the sake of archiving (and because i am bored here today) it couldn't hurt to post the pics of the Doctor and Companion keys from the New Series. Let me know if I missed anyone out. Companions who did not have their own key in the New Series were:

Adam Mitchell (the companion who couldn't)
Mickey Smith
Sarah Jane Smith (yeah, I'm counting her because she rocked!)
Amy Pond
Rory Williams
River Song (seems she didn't need one)

First the Doctor's Key, as stated above he just left it natural, no chain or twine etc.

Eccleston: Not sanded in this pic but could have been in part of Series 1
1x08-Fathers-Day-5.png

Tennant: From what I can remember it's always been Sanded for Tennant. However if a pic of a nonsanded key can be seen in use by him, let me know and I'll update this.
4x16-WatersOfMars-2.png

Smith: And sanded again for Smith
5x01-TheEleventhHour.png

Next, the companions:

Rose Tyler: Not sanded here in Aliens of London (when she gets a key) but can be seen sanded in The Long Game (which can be seen in an above post). It is a very specific key chain here, both Straker and I have replicated this and would be happy to give pointers to anyone who would like to as well, I'm sure.
1x04-AliensofLondon-A.png

Captain Jack Harkness: The Time we can see it it is sanded in Sound of Drums.
In Bad Wolf he had the key loose in his pocket with no chain or ring. Impossible to get a good screencap as they don't do a close up of it.
Then in Sound of Drums he had it on his key ring with lots of other keys. - This is the best cap I could get of his keys.Of course you can see his along with Martha and the Doctor's keys being made into Perception Filters but I was more trying to show his key chain)
3x12-The-Sound-of-Drums-2.png

Martha Jones: I know it's hard to tell from this pic but when Martha is given the key in 42 it appears to be unsanded - Look at the hole where the chain goes through - Now it could just be light reflection but the way it's reflecting around the hole and the rim of the key looks to be in the same pattern as the non-logo side of the ERA key. However if it is unsaded then it can't be an ERA key as the side shown would be the logo side. Later in Sound of Drums it is easy to see that it is sanded.

Marth's key is just on a ball chain, no ring. Although it seems she wasn't overly fond of the chain as she doesn't have it on the key in The Sound of Drums.
3x07-42.png

Sally Sparrow: Not really a companion but she had her own key. Her key was not sanded in the beginning of Blink - and also appears to not be an ERA key - but when she uses it in the TARDIS door the key becomes a sanded one (Which can be seen in one of the above posts)
Blink_385.jpg

Donna Noble: Donna's key is sanded and has no chain or ring or anything. The companion's keys got less and less fancy as he gave them out.
4x04-The-Sontaran-Strategem-2.jpg

That's all that I have. Again if I've left someone out, let me know. I do know that Sarah and Jo both nearly brought a TARDIS key to life in Death of the Doctor but I did not cap that yet either, not sure if it is needed.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with my boredom.

Also found this interesting from one of the DW card games:
TardisKey.jpg

Looks to be an ERA key with wear at first but if that is the case then the picture is either flipped on the card or it's one of the non-ERA keys as the side shown is the logo side of a standard ERA key. Of course it could not even be a screen used key but it is interesting that it matches Martha's 42 key in this way.

Good stuff. I would say though that the picture for Sally Sparrows key there looks like an ERA in that shot...well, that particular shot. They appear to have used a few keys for that one for some reason XD

Also, I REALLY wouldn't use that card game for reference material of any sort. They aren't very accurate at all. This was THEIR chipped Tardis key :
neiwpf.jpg

...yikes! Not a surprise when you see so many inaccurate keys out there XD

Interesting. I looked up what Axxess key would fit but it's number 71 and the picture I found was the wrong shaped head. Makes me wonder if that key in Blink was a different key JUST for that shot. I can imagine them being on the set, realizing they needed a Tardis key but didn't have one so they just used the closest match from some grips own key ring XD Still, that does indeed look like the right match. What Axxess key number is it supposed to be? Only few that match for me is 71 or 111. 71 for the channels and 111 for how it looks.

Unfortunately I still have not found the old thread that showed the correct key and info, but I found the brand. I know that Yale locks are the same though, they either have the key we have or a key with a totally different head, but they both work in the same lock, so axxess+ may be no different.

I think that would only work if the lock wasn't chrome but brushed stainless. Chrome is a plating and if you sand through it it's rather hard to fix without paying to have it chromed again. Digitally painting it out is easier I think.

I'll be able to tell you when he gets his lock in his hands. The other thing is they would have only needed to do it to one lock, since you only ever see it on the interior doors. But like I said, my first reaction was CGI as well.

Not the same shot. It looks like some of this was used in that previous digital shot but this is real. he light on the outer ring is natural and there's no blue in the keyway. There's also a shadow under the lock on the blue of the box here that wasn't in the other. This is a much better look at the door lock than the other picture.

Yeah this shot looked the real deal to me and really SJA was like the step child of the shows, they had the lowest budget and in this story more of that was used on other special effects. But again, CGI can't really be ruled out until someone gets good quality pics of the real box (not the BBC promo box though).

Well if you're curious the D shackle I used is great once tightened up. I used a pair of smooth jaw pliers to give it an extra quarter turn but if you're interested: CHAIN D RIGGING SHACKLE FOR BOAT 5/32´´ check it out. The seller originally listed it as 5/8" but then went to 5/32" or 4mm which is the threaded shaft diameter. Still the same one I bought though.

Cool thanks. I am even more curious now as mine is a 5/32, so I really want to do a size comparison.

After trying 40 I kinda liked mine a bit longer XD It may not be accurate but I liked how 55 felt in my hand XD

Sometimes with props it is best to go with an idealized version, but I like my key matching hers and certainly for cons it looks great when my girlfriends holds it in the same way as that promo shot of Rose.

Good stuff. I would say though that the picture for Sally Sparrows key there looks like an ERA in that shot...well, that particular shot. They appear to have used a few keys for that one for some reason XD

In any given episode where we see the key we could be seeing multiple versions depending on which box they use or how they want it to look in show, but in the same scene Sally finds her key you see both sides of the key and since they would have filmed those over the same few days it is likely that they could have used the same key on set, however if these shots were pickups or second unit they could have changed the key. But I do believe the back of the ERA key has been seen on other keys. I really wish I could find that old thread, I've been looking like madness. Here is both sides of Sally's key in that shot.

3x10-Blink-3.png

3x10-Blink-2.png

EDIT: Actually, looking at the two pics together (and for now to differentiate them I'll call them axxess and ERA) the axxess key looks to be showing the same side as the ERA (the shoulder/bump is on the same side). So that really means they did not use the same key in this scene.

Also, I REALLY wouldn't use that card game for reference material of any sort. They aren't very accurate at all. This was THEIR chipped Tardis key :
...yikes! Not a surprise when you see so many inaccurate keys out there XD

Yeah I had my doubts there really. But it does show how an ERA might actually wear so that's something at least.

Last edited:

Unfortunately I still have not found the old thread that showed the correct key and info, but I found the brand. I know that Yale locks are the same though, they either have the key we have or a key with a totally different head, but they both work in the same lock, so axxess+ may be no different.

Well in an interesting day I did some digging on AXXESS and apparently the 71 key fits the Yale Y-1 and ERA key but there's some problems. One is that if you go to Home Depot or Lowes the ERA key won't fit into the stupid cartridge they use to identify the keys so it will seem like no key they have matches it. I just tried the 71 key in my ERA lock and even though they didn't cut the teeth it slid right in. So that matches just fine. Also it has two bumpers on it like the Yale key. Another issue is that it only has the waffle pattern and AXXESS+ logo on one side and not the side being shown in that picture which suggests to me that either A: Axxess changed the look of their key or B: the UK versions of this key are different than the US versions. So unfortunately if it's a 71 key that was actually used it doesn't match the one they make now. This makes me think even more that they used a stand-in key for that one shot.

I'll be able to tell you when he gets his lock in his hands. The other thing is they would have only needed to do it to one lock, since you only ever see it on the interior doors. But like I said, my first reaction was CGI as well.

Yeah this shot looked the real deal to me and really SJA was like the step child of the shows, they had the lowest budget and in this story more of that was used on other special effects. But again, CGI can't really be ruled out until someone gets good quality pics of the real box (not the BBC promo box though).

Cool thanks. I am even more curious now as mine is a 5/32, so I really want to do a size comparison.

Well when I did the whole, "hold it up to the screen" comparison test it matched up pretty well. One thing I liked about it was the little round stopper thing that keeps the rod from going too far into the shackle. It just looks nice. I think you'll be pleased with it when you have it in hand.

Sometimes with props it is best to go with an idealized version, but I like my key matching hers and certainly for cons it looks great when my girlfriends holds it in the same way as that promo shot of Rose.

Agreed. For myself i like the extra length but the chain for these is so inexpensive I can afford to have more than one at both accurate and idealized length.

In any given episode where we see the key we could be seeing multiple versions depending on which box they use or how they want it to look in show, but in the same scene Sally finds her key you see both sides of the key and since they would have filmed those over the same few days it is likely that they could have used the same key on set, however if these shots were pickups or second unit they could have changed the key. But I do believe the back of the ERA key has been seen on other keys. I really wish I could find that old thread, I've been looking like madness. Here is both sides of Sally's key in that shot.

3x10-Blink-3.png

3x10-Blink-2.png

EDIT: Actually, looking at the two pics together (and for now to differentiate them I'll call them axxess and ERA) the axxess key looks to be showing the same side as the ERA (the shoulder/bump is on the same side). So that really means they did not use the same key in this scene.

Keep looking. 71 SEEMS to be right but the look just doesn't add up right yet. They COULD have still ground off a bumper but the channels running down the length of the key would be on the wrong side for the side my key has the logo on currently.

Yeah I had my doubts there really. But it does show how an ERA might actually wear so that's something at least.
True. Too bad it would be VERY hard to just wear off the chrome in the head in the recessed parts like that picture XP

Last edited:

So update guys. I don't think they key used in Blink was an AXXESS after all. I think it was a JMA. Wanna see?

Check
This
Out:
doqakj.jpg

Waffle pattern on the correct side, single bumper, rectangular window for logo, and the correct straight section similar to the ERA key!

It's a JMA YA41D 5 pin key. Y1 / 999 YALE JMA KEY BLANK

WHO DA MAN!

Last edited:

Well in an interesting day I did some digging on AXXESS and apparently the 71 key fits the Yale Y-1 and ERA key but there's some problems. One is that if you go to Home Depot or Lowes the ERA key won't fit into the stupid cartridge they use to identify the keys so it will seem like no key they have matches it. .... A: Axxess changed the look of their key or B: the UK versions of this key are different than the US versions.

This is why I ended up going to the UK and having ERA Security make my spare keys for me. No place here that I went to could match the key. Despite the fact that I have a key from here that fits the ERA lock perfectly. I want to try more mom and pop shops next and then a lock smith as I would like some sanded keys.

And I agree, the axxess key was probably a stand in, I'm happy to have an ERA key for her's in my collection. I don't really like the axxess key look at all.

Well when I did the whole, "hold it up to the screen" comparison test it matched up pretty well. One thing I liked about it was the little round stopper thing that keeps the rod from going too far into the shackle. It just looks nice. I think you'll be pleased with it when you have it in hand.

I ordered a couple to try them out for sure. So thanks for sharing. The real test will be in the ring comes undone with my girlfriend's habits of caring it around with her.

Agreed. For myself i like the extra length but the chain for these is so inexpensive I can afford to have more than one at both accurate and idealized length.

Very true. I have made four of these so far. I have gifted a few of my keys. Such a subtle and tiny little prop that gets so much appreciation.

True. Too bad it would be VERY hard to just wear off the chrome in the head in the recessed parts like that picture XP

And at the same time, I would be fixated on the fact that it's not silver anymore. Ah... OCD fandom.

So update guys. I don't think they key used in Blink was an AXXESS after all. I think it was a JMA. Wanna see?

Check
This
Out:
doqakj.jpg

Waffle pattern on the correct side, single bumper, rectangular window for logo, and the correct straight section similar to the ERA key!

It's a JMA YA41D 5 pin key. Y1 / 999 YALE JMA KEY BLANK

WHO DA MAN!

Very nice work sir! Every site I found with a JMA key just showed a drawing and not the real key. I'd say that's a spot on match.

Any clue what it is made out of? Could these be sanded correctly?

This is why I ended up going to the UK and having ERA Security make my spare keys for me. No place here that I went to could match the key. Despite the fact that I have a key from here that fits the ERA lock perfectly. I want to try more mom and pop shops next and then a lock smith as I would like some sanded keys.

Try a True Value or any old lock smith. That's where I get mine done. Free too because I supply them the blanks.

And I agree, the axxess key was probably a stand in, I'm happy to have an ERA key for her's in my collection. I don't really like the axxess key look at all.

Oddly enough I kinda dig it. XD

I ordered a couple to try them out for sure. So thanks for sharing. The real test will be in the ring comes undone with my girlfriend's habits of caring it around with her.

So far I've had no issues with carrying it on me and in my pocket with other keys and even swinging it around. Just give it that extra quarter turn and it'll be fine.

Very true. I have made four of these so far. I have gifted a few of my keys. Such a subtle and tiny little prop that gets so much appreciation.

The extra detail with the shackle helps a bit. Not a detail most people ever notice. I had to explain to people several times the reason they used it. It's hard to figure unless you know the nautical theme they were originally going for in 2005. U Boat Jacket, the coral inside the Tardis, the D-shackle, all nautical items XD

And at the same time, I would be fixated on the fact that it's not silver anymore. Ah... OCD fandom.

Very nice work sir! Every site I found with a JMA key just showed a drawing and not the real key. I'd say that's a spot on match.

Any clue what it is made out of? Could these be sanded correctly?

Right? Of course being OCD is what helped with the JMA key. If the slightly yellow tinge is any indication we MAY have found the source for our single bumpered ERA styled unplated sanded keys. I'm in the process of ordering some specific JMA keys from a seller in the UK, same seller I got that picture from JUST to be sure. I didn't want them to accidentally send me a compatible brand, I wanted THAT brand. I'm going to order five at least, ten if possible IF any of you guys want one but I want a few to experiment with for myself but if the seller is OK with it I will ask him if he would be willing to sell the blanks and if so I will let him know he will get a small influx of buyers for those blanks.

Try a True Value or any old lock smith. That's where I get mine done. Free too because I supply them the blanks.

Well if we can identify a good match for the ERA key that can be sanded and still be silver then yeah, I'll do the same with the blanks. True Value I haven't thought of, I'll have to see if any still exist around here.

Oddly enough I kinda dig it. XD

Of course you mean the JMA key now ;) Like I said above, if I can get good blanks and have someone here cut them like you suggested, I'd probably get a JMA just for good measure, but at the same time, I want to have some restraint ;)

The extra detail with the shackle helps a bit. Not a detail most people ever notice. I had to explain to people several times the reason they used it. It's hard to figure unless you know the nautical theme they were originally going for in 2005. U Boat Jacket, the coral inside the Tardis, the D-shackle, all nautical items XD

Exactly, I've seen them sold on ebay for prices that always gave me a good laugh (saw you deviant art by the way) both at price and what they called "screen accurate". I mean the key was always clearly seen in Aliens of London, it was never in doubt to me what it was. I just hadn't tried to make the key all these years because I didn't own any. Then one day I said "why not?" so I researched and bought some. Like you said, it's such a cheap and easy thing to make. But out of all the new series keys it is the most stylistic.

I'm going to order five at least, ten if possible IF any of you guys want one but I want a few to experiment with for myself but if the seller is OK with it I will ask him if he would be willing to sell the blanks and if so I will let him know he will get a small influx of buyers for those blanks.

Well if you are already getting them then yeah I would take one. And I would be interested in a blank as well (there goes the self restraint) so I can have one cut to match my lock. Thanks for the offer on the cut key and for keeping us posted on the seller and blanks.

The only thing with the key in the pic is that it does look a bit long. Not sure if that is a trick of the photography or not though.

Here's a question for you key aficionados, I got my 800-Trekker key in 1996, I bought one from their catalog and then bought another as a gift when I visited their warehouse in Reading PA. But, that was quite a long time ago now that I can't recall what the price of the key was. Does anyone remember or even have the 800-Trekker catalog? I've decided to keep a track of when, where and how much I have gotten my props and would really love to know what that key price was. Though I may regret having this list in black and white...

Well if we can identify a good match for the ERA key that can be sanded and still be silver then yeah, I'll do the same with the blanks. True Value I haven't thought of, I'll have to see if any still exist around here.

I think I have the good match for both the ERA key AND the one used in Blink for that shot. We want a CI-DL for the key used in that one shot. With the logo facing up and the bumper to the right. The ERA matched key is the one on the left and has the logo on the same side as the ERA and is a JMA 1A (aka YA24-D)

Have a look:
2q86omv.jpg

Of course you mean the JMA key now ;) Like I said above, if I can get good blanks and have someone here cut them like you suggested, I'd probably get a JMA just for good measure, but at the same time, I want to have some restraint ;)

No, I mean the AXXESS key. Of course I've always been fond of keys in general. When I stop to realize how many key props I own...

Exactly, I've seen them sold on ebay for prices that always gave me a good laugh (saw you deviant art by the way) both at price and what they called "screen accurate". I mean the key was always clearly seen in Aliens of London, it was never in doubt to me what it was. I just hadn't tried to make the key all these years because I didn't own any. Then one day I said "why not?" so I researched and bought some. Like you said, it's such a cheap and easy thing to make. But out of all the new series keys it is the most stylistic.

Haha, yeah that $15 key on ebay cost the builder like $3 maximum! The $50 key is the same. I can get that exact chain at AC Moore for a dollar a foot and the work on the key is SO easy.

"Aliens of London" I keep saying "World War 3" for some reason. XD I gotta go fix that on my DA submission.

Well if you are already getting them then yeah I would take one. And I would be interested in a blank as well (there goes the self restraint) so I can have one cut to match my lock. Thanks for the offer on the cut key and for keeping us posted on the seller and blanks.

The only thing with the key in the pic is that it does look a bit long. Not sure if that is a trick of the photography or not though.

No, not a trick of the photo. It's the way the teeth were cut. See, I found that picture on a site specializing in master keys to unlock multiple locks without being meant for that lock.

Don't worry about it breaking your bank. They're just blanks. Now that we know what they are we can try sourcing from other sites later. Also don't worry, none of the keys will be cut so you can have it cut to your lock no problem.

The question is are the JMA keys chromed or can they be sanded to look like a blank brandless key? Good finds though for sure, for those wanting to add one of the Blink Keys to their collection.

Oh I hadn't noticed that you had World War 3 listed to be honest, but yeah it's Aliens of London. Though the New Series seems way better at showing us the key than the classic.

Now I just need to find a local place that can cut these blanks when we get them. I want to Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware and about three smaller places that my GPS found me. No one carried a match for the key. I'll step up my search now though, especially since I want to find a blank that can be sanded.

The question is are the JMA keys chromed or can they be sanded to look like a blank brandless key? Good finds though for sure, for those wanting to add one of the Blink Keys to their collection.

Oh I hadn't noticed that you had World War 3 listed to be honest, but yeah it's Aliens of London. Though the New Series seems way better at showing us the key than the classic.

Now I just need to find a local place that can cut these blanks when we get them. I want to Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware and about three smaller places that my GPS found me. No one carried a match for the key. I'll step up my search now though, especially since I want to find a blank that can be sanded.

Well the "Blink" key is plated for sure. I'm trying to find out if there's a steel or alloy key to match these with a single bumper we can find.

It was just in the description. I fixed it now though XD

Lowes, Home Depot and most Ace stores use a cartridge cutter so they won't work. You'll need to find a place like a locksmiths or a True Value to get it cut because they use a lathe. Check the net instead for hardware stores and locksmiths. Look for old Hardware stores though.

I'll be looking into keys that aren't plated though and let you know.

The question is are the JMA keys chromed or can they be sanded to look like a blank brandless key? Good finds though for sure, for those wanting to add one of the Blink Keys to their collection. *SNIP!*

OK, so from what my supplier has told me, the keys ARE steel underneath and come either in nickle or chrome plating. I believe our Blink key is chrome but the ERA equivalent is nickle. With the steel under the plating I don't think it will have a problem being sanded. I'm going to be sending payment to him soon and they will ship off Monday. Once they arrive I will start the experimenting.

I'll also ask if he's cool with me telling everyone here what his site is if anyone wants to order from him directly. His site doesn't specialize in blanks but he might not mind the extra revenue by selling Doctor Who fans blanks.

I also linked him to this thread so if he's reading this; thanks Steve! You've been a big help on this! ^_^

Cool, thanks for doing the research Straker. I hope these keys work out because I would love to get some keys I cam make blank/logo-less.

By the way I got the D-Shackle you used. It matches the size of mine exactly, which works for me, because like I said I like the self locking. My girlfriend won't give hers up, she loves it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back