SL ANH Darth Vader Helmet Discussion Thread

SithLord

Sr Member
I thought I'd try this out again :confused and this time I'll try to keep the photos up for more than two hours :lol. This is just a credit to the work of the person who finished this particular helmet. Many thanks to Dave for this amazing representation. I don't think I need to give a background on this helmet as it came from the Rick Baker mold long, long ago.

SLANHDCM2a1g.jpg

SLANHDCM2a2g.jpg

SLANHDCM2a3g.jpg

Here were older photos of the same helmet before some improvements were made in the finishing.

SLANHDCG1Rc.jpg

SLANHDCG1Rd.jpg

SLANHDCGF2a.jpg

Since I am a sucker for any kind of discussion or debate, I'll leave the floor open to discussion here as opposed to this being purely a show-off thread. And I'll try to keep an open mind insofar as everyone has an opinion about what looks better or not, or what is more authentic or less authentic. I'll probably regret this :lol.

To me this is the closest to the ANH Ive seen.

The finish is superb on it. The dome shine looks just right, not to glossy. Its hard work to get a finish like that, and not get it looking as it is done on purpose.

This is what minimal cleanup is supposed to look like. With all the bumps and dings the helmet looks almost textured.

awesome as always SL

Any chance of the helmet and faceplate looking directly into the camera? Looking up iconically is great, but the real test is looking directly forward.

So far so good!

It is a very nice helmet. Better than almost anything I have seen. But are you really interested in what I or someone thinks, or are you looking for people to just tell you how awsome it is? I know when I posted my helmet the main thing I was looking for was people to tell me how awsome it is. But, I would have been happier if people had also made constructive critisism or maybe said something didn't look right. I am NOT a 'yes man'. I will tell you if something looks wrong and include photo analysis to back up my position. And while I do feel this is a fine helmet, better than most, If it were on my bench it would still see some major reworking. Do you really want to hear it?

SL_EFXANHACOM.png

John

Last edited:
I am looking at the photos and it looks like there is more detail in the more recent photos than in the older photos :confused.

Thomas, ask Dave if he'll give us the rundown on his painting process.
This would be great, What was the aging technique used to finish it to make the details pop out more in the newer photos??

The face area looks quite a bit more flat in the old photos where you can see a lot more of the roughness in the newer ones.

Sweet fricking helmet by the way!!!!

It is a very nice helmet. Better than almost anything I have seen. But are you really interested in what I or someone thinks, or are you looking for people to just tell you how awsome it is? I know when I posted my helmet the main thing I was looking for was people to tell me how awsome it is. But, I would have been happier if people had also made constructive critisism or maybe said something didn't look right. I am NOT a 'yes man'. I will tell you if something looks wrong and include photo analysis to back up my position. And while I do feel this is a fine helmet, better than most, If it were on my bench it would still see some major reworking. Do you really want to hear it?

SL_EFXANHACOM.png

John

Cant wait to hear what major things you would do better. Feel free to post....its a open forum and everyone can say his honest opinion.:)

Sir, you are 1 of a very few who has the power of not being swayed by a majority thinking otherwise. I commend you. In my experience, some see, most dont. Many turn a blind eye in hopes of aquiring one someday. Thats understandable. The SL Vader is a oustanding piece of a representation on ANH. But, when making comparisons via screencap or promotion on certain angles, it's quite obvious of 2 diffrent shapes being at odds (dome wise). Your pic and all pics especially showing on a certain angle , shows just how (I'm not gonna say off) but dissimular the SL's flange is in relation to the real cast. It's a totally diffrent shape from that pov.

But of course as we all know,this can be interpreted in many ways as you'll soon find out.
Btw, major reworking to a highly touted cast ? Get ready to be stonewalled. BRICK by BRICK.:lol

SL_EFXANHACOM.png

John

I am looking at the photos and it looks like there is more detail in the more recent photos than in the older photos :confused.

Nah, just a bit less compression in the jpegs than before. Any apparent increase in detail is a result purely of that.

We don't trust you. You simply made captures of the movie and reworked them with photoshop in order to make us believe it's a true helmet....... ^^

I don't have a huge knowledge about Vader's helmets, but this one is certainly the most beautiful I've ever seen. Congrats!!

But are you really interested in what I or someone thinks, or are you looking for people to just tell you how awsome it is? .....I will tell you if something looks wrong and include photo analysis to back up my position. And while I do feel this is a fine helmet, better than most, If it were on my bench it would still see some major reworking. Do you really want to hear it?

SL_EFXANHACOM.png

John

Yes I would. I get bored of all those threads in which a replica is shown and everyone just says "wow". No fun in that. :lol I find it refreshing to see someone taking a critical look for a change.

But, when making comparisons via screencap or promotion on certain angles, it's quite obvious of 2 diffrent shapes being at odds (dome wise). Your pic and all pics especially showing on a certain angle , shows just how (I'm not gonna say off) but dissimular the SL's flange is in relation to the real cast. It's a totally diffrent shape from that pov.

Well, it really depends on the angle or tilt of the helmet. I ran into the same perception long ago when doing that kind of comparison and the lower front corners of the flaring really look different depending on rotational and tilt angles.

Anyway, maybe this will help.

SLvsOriginalfrdome2d.jpg

SLANHvsTantiveIVLsidecf2s.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back