Daft Punk TRON Era Guy Manuel Helmet Build

Crank729

Sr Member
So.......One of my friends wants to build a Daft Punk helmet, but I thought that instead of just making it for him ( I'm quite busy at the moment;)) I would just show him my process of making one. Here is the last helmet that I did.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/daft-punk-helmet-my-little-brother-144261/

So, he's doing the work, I'm just pointing him in the right direction.

This helmet started off As JTM's TRON model unfolded by our very own cama900!!!! It was a good pep, and it was surprisingly easy. Now, my friend is about 1 foot shorter than me, so the pep had to be scaled down by ten percent. I made it myself, because he ain't so good at pepakura. :D

7405889486_e0efbb34be.jpg

7405910710_f9d71e7ba2.jpg

7405918256_876bac4def.jpg

7405928248_75494b0d7e.jpg

7405932986_65b5b202e0.jpg

Next, the resin stage. My friend is an artist, so brushing on the resin seemed like second nature to him....he was actually better at it than me! Only three coats of resin were done on this helmet, 2 on the inside and 1 on the outside.

7405939262_d59981dbd8.jpg

7405952744_5452e148c0.jpg

7405978118_a521965571.jpg

Next, RONDO! I did this part, because....I was bored? He actually wanted me to do it, so I did it. I started off with a thinned coat, then I moved on to some thicker coats. I first did the visor, then the " ears" and the chin, followed by the back section of the helmet. This thing is ROCK hard!!!!!!!!

7406004134_f9f2823935.jpg

I also did the first coat of Bondo......My friend can only build on weekends, so I have to have to fill in the gaps, or else this thing will take years to finish!!!!! If you want really clean Bondo passes, I recommend laying down painters tape where you want the Bondo to stop, then you get nice clean lines after you apply the filler.I left the ears solid on this helmet so I could add the circuit details in the ears. I hacked these sections out with a dremel. It was so dusty, it looked like it was snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7406022458_1d1b24de95.jpg

This is only 5 days in, we're moving fast!!!!!!! I plan on making a full beginners guide when I......I mean "he"......;).....finishes the helmet. But for now, A build thread! Thanks for reading guys, stay tuned!!!!!!

Last edited:
Re: Daft Punk TRON Era Giuy Manuel Helmet Build

So cool! I've wanted to see one done, but have been to lazy to look! Nice work!

That's some tasty work from the two of you. I'm looking forward to watching this thread.

I can't wait to see how it come out. I am also working on daft punk helmets, I'm still somewhat on the learning stage.

I can't wait to see how it come out. I am also working on daft punk helmets, I'm still somewhat on the learning stage.

Haha, that's the best stage! Have fun on your builds, These helmets are a blast work on......and also a pain, mostly because of the super smooth surfaces.

Haha, that's the best stage! Have fun on your builds, These helmets are a blast work on......and also a pain, mostly because of the super smooth surfaces.

ah yeah its going to be so time consuming with the bondo, were you going to make molds of your helmets?

This helmet is a one off but I have another helmet coming up that should be molded.

I've been messing around with this helmet while my buddy ain't around because I love working on Guy Man sculpts, and I would like to get as much done myself before he starts doing some serious filling and sanding. The visor is the main part I've been focusing on, because that is undoubtedly the most challenging section to make perfect on any Guy helmet. This helmet already has a nice heft to it from all the bondo and rondo, but I would rather have it heavy and strong than light and flimsy! Here's some pics from the first few rounds of sanding and some primer.

7458011042_23a3509a65.jpg

7458022194_1822234151.jpg

7458034502_bfeb890fed.jpg

7458029828_c72cdfe1d0.jpg

To tell the truth, this looks better than I thought it would, especially considering I've only been working on it for about 9 days. Either this helmet is just really easy to work with or I'm actually starting to figure out what the heck i'm doing.

More updates to follow soon. ( And more filling and sanding! )

Despite the fact that this helmet does not fit my friend anymore and he has abandoned this project, I've finally started working on it again because it may have a potential buyer. Either way, I'm finishing it, I've put way too much money and effort into this helmet for it not to be finished. Here is a pic of how the sculpt is looking as of NOW.

7733984534_3b4b65f210_b.jpg

I'm getting closer now, and pretty soon I will be chopping off the visor for my first ever attempt at a Guy Manuel visor.

Sorry for the lack of updates on this thing, and thanks for reading.

you ever going to make a helmet that fits your own head?

despite being too small for you it looks good, smooth, clean, and sharp in all the right areas, right on track.

you ever going to make a helmet that fits your own head?

despite being too small for you it looks good, smooth, clean, and sharp in all the right areas, right on track.

Haha, funny you mention that, I'm working on my own right now. And thank you all for the compliments.

Yup, this one right here.....but it has a buyer.

Yeah, someone bought it.....this seems to be a recurring theme with my builds.

Finally added in the recessed ear caps. The laser cut details I had didn't fit,( too small ) so I just went with a plain sheet of styrene. I think it still looks good.....but that may be because I built it!

7854823392_a3e33fdd75_b.jpg

( Black and white because colour photos taken at night time with my camera look like garbage! )

This helmet was wet sanded tonight as well, starting with 600 grit and ending at 800 grit....I still have to cut out the visor so I wasn't going to make it glass smooth!

Oh, and ear pucks. Thankfully, I now have a lathe so that isn't a problem.

The only thing I'm very nervous about is the vacuum forming, but I know enough about it that it should turn out fine....hopefully.

And, to prove this is the smallest helmet in the world, here's the proof.

7854829974_74fa14b86d_b.jpg

7854826730_b4dc555775_b.jpg

More to come.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back