The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Would you suggest using a rag or something like scotch bright or a sponge with the acetone? Any issues with the acetone making the tape less sticky?

For me, I found that Acetone was good for stripping paint but for actually wiping the shield down prior to painting etc, Lacquer Thinner worked better because it didnt leave streaking that the acetone can do. If you dont have any scratches or blems youre trying to remove, no real need to hit with a scotchbrite pad, just wipe the surface you are ready to paint good, give it a few min to flash off and then if need be hit with a microfiber towel or something to knock any settling dust etc off. After painting mine no less than 4 times, I found it best to keep a scrap of aluminum sheeting from Lowes handy and I would hit that first with my paint to make sure it was flowing and leveling well and then if all looked good on the test, move right into the shield

Should I strip and repaint this? A couple of spots feel rough to the touch.

IMG_20150424_095603951.jpgIMG_20150424_095635605.jpgIMG_20150424_095643387.jpg

also the start area i left blank is slightly smaller than the Valor star I got so (hopefully) it'll look good when i put the star over it.

Looks pretty dark. How heavy did you go?

I did 4 coats, but I don't think I understood what a light coat was and went too heavy on each of them. I'm guessing my goal was supposed to be get all the metal covered after the 4 coats, not cover it after each coat?

This is the Duplicolor Metalcast Blue spray paint by the way.

The goal is to still see the metal shine through. You're not looking fir a solid blue or red, but rather translucent. Personally I prefer 1 heavy coat with the duplicolor

The goal is to still see the metal shine through. You're not looking fir a solid blue or red, but rather translucent. Personally I prefer 1 heavy coat with the duplicolor
I had to strip all the paint off anyways i scratch the metal, so i had to fix that, so i'm giving it another go

800 grit sandpaper managed to get the scratches out, i dont think i did the grooves on the shield well with the paint (waiting for it to dry), I think i'm going to take some qutips and acetone and just clean the grooves and leave them unpainted then clearcoat the whole thing

800 grit sandpaper managed to get the scratches out, i dont think i did the grooves on the shield well with the paint (waiting for it to dry), I think i'm going to take some qutips and acetone and just clean the grooves and leave them unpainted then clearcoat the whole thing

Try using a sharpie marker in blue or red to touch it up before you take an acetone dipped Q tip to it

I had some good luck with a blue sharpie for cleaning up small issues (not the dark blue one but there is a slightly lighter blue). I didnt have a lot of luck with the red sharpies but that could related to the duplicolor I used and how much/little. For the red though I did have good luck with decanting the can, addling a little lacquer thinner and then using a refillable paint pen I bought on ebay. I used an exacto knife to trim the tip so it was even a little sharper than what it was out of the box. worked great for touching up grooves and the edge, especially if you do a little light wet sanding after (I used a 3m 3000 grit paper from the auto parts store).

Finally got my shield done (or at least mostly as I may still clear the back). Wanted to say thanks for all the folks I badgered on here and who helped me out, especially Valor after getting me a new star after I scratched mine and got it to me by the weekend so I could have it for C2E2. Also got a lot of good stuff from drakeprimone and Kevin Gossett. Here is how everything ended up
.cap shield.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

I'm still trying to locate these button head rivets.... with the weather expected to warm up this weekend, I'm hoping to get some paint down soon.

Actually thats a great point. I kinda forgot about that but would also like to know where to get the rivet heads. Cant imagine folks just started cutting an sanding regular rivets.

Question, I used JB Weld to attached my star but it's slightly lifted off the shield, I tried using some superglue to hold it down but that isn't working, and the glue is a bit smeared, is there anyway to salvage it to improve it?

IMG_20150427_200118843.jpg

Or have I screwed up my shield too badly?

ive got a slightly similar trouble, but not as bad. im bought some syringes off ebay and i plan to squirt some JB weld intot he gap. maybe.

also in some places its squeezed out of the sides so im going to very carefully try and scrape and pick it off. then maybe mask the star up and give it a light coat of blue to cover any bad bits.

luckily, i decided long ago that i was doing a battle damaged shield so i'm going to chalk an awful lot of my mess down to baddies.

Question, I used JB Weld to attached my star but it's slightly lifted off the shield, I tried using some superglue to hold it down but that isn't working, and the glue is a bit smeared, is there anyway to salvage it to improve it?

View attachment 470305

Or have I screwed up my shield too badly?
I think I may have to start over. I ordered some very strong neodymium magnets from a company called K&J Magnetics (part #s D93-N52, and DC4-N52). I used a smaller star outline (1/2 inside of the size of your aluminum star per Valor) and I placed my JB Weld just into that star footprint. I also cleared off just a q tip size down to metal about an inch and a half back from the star points and put a small dab there and then I used a toothpick and put the smallest amount just at the points (this may not be needed by I wanted to do so). THen I used the magnets (with each one inside a piece of cut off latex glove finger which helped avoid any scratches to the surface) and let the whole thing sit for 24 hrs. Even taking this much care, I still got squeeze out so I wiped it up and then masked around the whole star to catch any more squeeze out which it continued to do little by little over the course of maybe 90 min. At that point I peeled the tape off so it wouldnt get stuck. By morning it was almost perfect. There were 2 tiny bits of squeeze out by the point but a little 2000 grit wet sanding took it right off and didnt cut through my clear coat so then I just polished out those scratches. One think I didnt do and would next time is put a small bit of tape on the back of the star to cover the pinhole in the center as I did get JB weld squeeze out through that hole but was able to hit it lightly with a wood working chisel and then polish and you cant tell it was ever there. I think putting the star on for me brought the most panic for me but if youre careful (and you dont let those extremely strong magnets slam into each other) itll work out better next go around especially if you get the star bent really well first of all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back