The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

holy expletives Kerr, that clear coat looks amazing! i started from scratch again but i keep running into problems with uneven paint in between the rings

Got the blue stripped off and remasked. Second attempt went better, but still too textured, and something landed on the shield as I was painting, leaving a spot in the paint. Going to strip again and give the Testor's a try

IMG_20120830_091655.jpg

IMG_20120830_093718.jpg

IMG_20120830_093730.jpg

Try having you shield vertical when painting and move the can in an arc relative to circle your painting.

Yet, I really don't understand why that Dupli-color Metalize is so fickle.

My experiment was excellent.
First shield was Ok.
Touch up was good.
Everything since crap.

Does anyone have a paint booth so we can eliminate the environmental factors?

Ain't that the truth! :lol

Yeah, I painted outside with the shield vertical. Soaked the cans, shake every minute or so, the whole nine. My test went perfectly, nice even smooth finish. For me, the lighter coats were the issue, so I tried doing heavier, wetter coats. That helped quite a bit, but still not there. I'll see how the Testors treats me this week

Kerry, did you do any wet sanding before the clear coat? The shield looks awesome, and it looks like the colors exhibit the same properties from certain angles as mine: smooth from this angle or distance, ripply/wavy from a different angle and distance.

I'm just wondering whether wet sanding would have made any difference.

Sorry Chris I didn't get back to you I was using testors gloss clearcoat. I ended up using dupli-color clearcoat finish

Kerry, did you do any wet sanding before the clear coat? The shield looks awesome, and it looks like the colors exhibit the same properties from certain angles as mine: smooth from this angle or distance, ripply/wavy from a different angle and distance.

I'm just wondering whether wet sanding would have made any difference.

No, no sanding on the paint itself, though I tried several layers of clearcoat with wet sanding in between that before going with the Chroma Clear layer. As good as it looks from a distance, there are still some flaws on the clear coat when up close. I'm seriously considering doing another round of wet sanding on the Chroma Clear and then another coat or some buffing/polishing. No 'Y' on the name either. ;)

Here's a slightly better pic of the shield.

attachment.php

do you guys spray paint the middle then add the start?

No. Well I can't say no for everyone. But if you plan to use JB Weld or something similar I suppose, you need the metal to metal contact for the star to really adhere.

So if you paint the middle first, then try to attach the star, the star will try to adhere to the paint and not the metal. That will most likely result in the star not staying put. You should try your best to mask off the star area and paint the blue around the mask. I will take a picture later as I am on this step AS WE SPEAK. I have my red done, blue ready to go, and star area masked off.

Try to either make a star or the correct size, or order one and then mask the area.

Hey new member here, been trying to look for a way to make a Captain America Shield When i saw on Ebay there was a Metal Replica that Looks EXACTLY like the movie one. then I look around the internet for how to videos (As I am An automotive Hobbiest Painter) and I find this amazing website, where all you guys have amazing replicas as well. Ive been follwing this whole thread and see all that is needed for the end product, but i have only two questions. 1. Where do i find the Blank Shield? I tried looking for it online as the thread described but all I could find was ONE on ebay and the guy was asking 250 for it..... and 2.. Is Valor still making those stars? and If so how much and what is needed to get one made??

The blank is the one on eBay for that price. You can contact the company directly, but it won't be any cheaper. Accurate Metal Spinning in Miami.

Valor has his FS thread for the stars in the junkyard. You can find details there

Hey guys, I just skimmed through the thread fast. Sorry for not reading. I just have a quick question about masking off before painting. How will I go about it? I'm using the steel saucer sled to make the shield, so any paint removal tips would be great too!

You can just send payment. Using the saucer sled, the most important thing is to find the exact center of your sled, and drill a small hole. This is how you will not only trace the rings perfectly, you will use it to "spin" the brushed finish into the sled.

Here's what I did:

I used the four holes from the handles to criss-cross some string across the top of the sled. THis creates an X/ It's not perfect, but it's close the the center. Then I took repeated measurements from the hole to the edge to find the "dead" center. You should be able to run a string from your dead center out the the edge and have it be the exact distance in every direction. DON'T drill the hole until you're positive about the dead center.

Spin the brushed effect into your shield using the technique found in this thread:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/metal-movie-cap-shield-budget-done-final-128238/

Lay masking tape on your entire shield and use a pencil and string to trace your rings on the tape. Use a sharp Xacto blade to cut the tap away.

Paint.

hey guys, I have started painting my blank cap shield, and the paint seems to be too opaque and hasnt got that 'look', I hear that wet sanding and buffing id the solution, exactly how do i go about doing this properly? cheers guys

Last edited:
Hey all, been a while since I made a post but I figure I'd add to this thread. Lots of great tips on how to paint your shield. That being said I thought maybe it would be good to show some steps I took in order to strip the shield in case mistakes were made. Starting your shield over can be a scary and in my case emotionally painful experience if you are starting over for the first time. So hopefully these pics will help.

I recently decided to take my shield to Wizard World and it was a big hit.. the automotive clear coat really made a big impression.

IMAG0090.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back