Halo 1 Master Chief

JUSTINIAN

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well I'm new here, but have been making props for about 10 years or so. My most recent project was a scratch-built Halo 1 Master Chief.

Here is a few renders of the in game model:
still_01small.jpg

still_02small.jpg

It is not the most accurate image of the one in the game, but it had most of the detail I was trying to achieve. Also, the color is a little off. Here is a screenshot from the game:
MasterChiefReference.jpg

Materials:

Lexan
Acrylic
Sintra
ABS
Fiberglass
Bondo
Pleather
nylon straps
LED's
Foam
Silicone
PVC
Auto paint
Urethane rubber
Old Pair of Nike basketball shoes.

I wanted to make a high definition version of the original low definition Master Chief. I wanted to get creative with how it would look if it had all the crisp details of a modern set of armor. I wanted it to have the exact look of the old version, but be a real world version. As far as I am aware it is 100% symmetrical, and insanely close to accurate. There were only a few tweaks I had to make, so that it would fit me, such as the shoulders (Master Chief has unrealistically wide shoulders), and back of the helmet (I could have made it more accurate, but would have had to go larger, and didn't want to be a bobble head). I was also going for the perfect fresh from the factory finish.

I built the entire upper half from just reference images, as I was unaware of the prop community at that time. It was a complete scratch build. Once I discovered Pepakura I used it only for sizing and reference, and as a rough skeleton for the thighs.

I used a laser to cut most of the plastic pieces out and glued them together, then reinforced with fiberglass, and smoothed it over with Bondo. I then sanded and sculpted the Bondo to get all of the fine details I wanted. Then I used a custom mixed color of auto paint to get an amazingly smooth finish.

The soles are made out of silicone caulking, and are incredibly durable. The top part of the boots are molded from urethane rubber, and thus flex when I walk.

The undersuit was sewed by me out of Pleather, and has quilted lines to make it look like it has that realistic space suit look. I also used the same material to make a very detailed neck seal, and the pouches in the front, which open and are held closed with magnets.

The helmet has working LED's and a fan.

Overall it weighs 90 pounds, is 6ft 6, and I have over 1000 hours in this suit. :eek

Now for the images.

100_1672fix.jpg

100_1675fix.jpg

100_1673.jpg

100_1676.jpg

100_1678.jpg

100_1679.jpg

100_1680.jpg

100_1684.jpg

100_1692.jpg

100_1689.jpg

I left off the detail on the sides of the soles on the boots, because I didn't like it that much. I did however make the bottom of the sole, match the game model exactly.
footfix.jpg

100_1175.jpg

Thanks for looking.

OMG ... just gorgeous ... i always tot Halo1 MC cosplay gonna suck because the lack of details but u prove me otherwise . super clean work !

As everyone else has stated, this looks really awesome. I'm just curious as to the reason that you didn't make the upper arm/shoulder part go all the way around your arm? other than that, though, I absolutely love the clean, crisp details and a lot of things about it. I'd also like to know why you went with a clean, factory fresh look instead of weathered?

Awesome work, I've seen most people go hyper detailed or the halo 2 or modern (reach/odst etc.) route but I just love the simplistic yet stylistic feel of the classic xbox/pc model which you captured greatly.
Once again great job!

Classy man. The Mk V really is the best. I always enjoy how the design really fits over a person rather than a lot of the odd proportions you have to correct to make the later suits wearable. :thumbsup

His suit looks great! I love that you went the extra
mile with the boots and the detail pieces, one of the best scratch builds I've seen

Thank you all so much.

The reason I didn't go all the way around on the arms was mostly for movement. I figured since it was black and the undersuit was black, most people wouldn't notice.

I like the weathered look, but I put so much work into making perfectly smooth, so I didn't want to make it look messed up. Why spend so much time and money on something, and not have it look perfect. Most other people use the weathering to cover up imperfections, but I didn't have any. So I didn't need to battle damage it.

I would like to eventually make a Mark VI and I will weather that one.

Thanks for looking.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back