Building the Death Star Trash Compactor

Skaught

Sr Member
So where's the full size set forum? :lol

Building this for a little event coming up. Call it a ball pit for geeks. Here are some construction pics:

trashcom1.jpg

trashcom2.jpg

trashcom3.jpg

trashcom4.jpg

trashcom5.jpg

trashcom6.jpg

trashcom8.jpg

trashcom9.jpg

trashcom10.jpg

trashcom11.jpg

trashcom12.jpg

trashcom13.jpg

trashcom14.jpg

trashcom15.jpg

trashcom16.jpg

trashcom17.jpg

It measures 8' x 8' x 8'. The front lights up and the "T" light in the back will have a red panel and light up as well.

Of course, no trash compactor is complete without a Dianoga. The first one I made I gave to Steve Sansweet. So I made another. You can't see them in the photos, but it has lots of hair hanging down too. I used horse hair plucked from a Weequay mask.

dianoga1.jpg

dianoga2.jpg

dianoga3.jpg

dianoga4.jpg

This is for the 501st room at Celebration CVI. All the parts come apart and store in my shed as 8' x 4' sections. It's connected at the corners using hinges with pins that are removable.

It will be filled with trash: hoses, softer plastic parts and I HOPE some black or gray foam rubber. People will be able to get in and bury themselves in the trash for photos. I'm going to make a pipe (with accurate detailing) that people can hold up to "stop" the walls from moving in. There will be sound effects, too.

If anyone has any suggestions for where to get black or gray high density foam rubber, please let me know. I want to cut it into random shapes. No styrofoam, though. That will disintegrate.

Scott

This is for the 501st room at Celebration CVI. All the parts come apart and store in my shed as 8' x 4' sections. It's connected at the corners using hinges with pins that are removable.

It will be filled with trash: hoses, softer plastic parts and I HOPE some black or gray foam rubber. People will be able to get in and bury themselves in the trash for photos. I'm going to make a pipe (with accurate detailing) that people can hold up to "stop" the walls from moving in. There will be sound effects, too.

If anyone has any suggestions for where to get black or gray high density foam rubber, please let me know. I want to cut it into random shapes. No styrofoam, though. That will disintegrate.

Scott

Walmart has dark gray foam floor tiles that interlock. They're in the exercise section next to the weights. You could rip several of those up into pieces.

Walmart has dark gray foam floor tiles that interlock. They're in the exercise section next to the weights. You could rip several of those up into pieces.

Yes, but I'm hoping to find thicker foam. 2" or bigger. Hopefully scrap since brand new retail price would cost more than all the wood and paint it took to build the set.

Scott

Scott

Excellent sir! I wish i could be there to see it in person, fantastic job!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back