Spray Paint Help

joostin

Hey guys,

I'm beginning to work with resin casting, and am after a paint that will give me a reflective (or at least semi-reflective) gold finish - something as close to how real gold performs.

I have been investigating spray paints that are gold, and have come across some decent ones, but none that really give me the "oomph" I'm after. I know some paints will give you this finish if you're spraying them onto a metal finish, but that's obviously not what I'm doing.

Has anyone else had some experience with this?
Could you recommend any brands of paint or mixes that might achieve this (preferably available in Australia)? Or am I chasing something that isn't really out there?

Thanks peeps!

A lot of the "oomph" your looking for with a metallic spray paint has a lot to do with the surface and the primer you use.

I highly recommend using a Krylon white primer. The lighter the primer, the more pop you are going to get with the metallic paint. I did with this some some C3P0 parts and while it's no dipping and getting a real gold chrome job, it's still very good.

Last edited:
What base color are you using? Most folks use gloss black then use the metallic over that. No sealer as that will dull the finish.

A lot of the "oomph" your looking for with a metallic spray paint has a lot to do with the surface and the primer you use.

I highly recommend using a Krylon white primer. The lighter the primer, the more pop you are going to get with the metallic paint. I did with this some some C3P0 parts and while it's no dipping and getting a real gold chrome job, it's still very good.

Thanks for that!
There are some paints out there that they say will give you a reflective finish, but some shops neglect to mention what surfaces it's meant for, but some online searching showed that the particular brand was meant for adding colour to metal surfaces. Damn.

But I'll play around with using a primer as you suggest and these paints, and see if I can whip up something like what I want!

What base color are you using? Most folks use gloss black then use the metallic over that. No sealer as that will dull the finish.

So far I've used a couple of different ones - clear resin, a matte black base coat, and a beige-y/white resin, but the paint I've used (which admittedly is just be a metallic gold modelling paint rather than anything designed to be "reflective") hasn't shown a particularly different finish with any of the bases.

I'm thinking I'll have to spend the extra money on a more "metallic" can and see how that works - unfortunately this trial-and-error process is getting expensive! haha

Sometimes wet sanding and polishing can brighten a finish, but everything has be cured and you have to use the right materials.

Are you casting yourself?

Another option to receive somewhat semi-reflective finishes is "cold-casting" (adding metallic powders/ pigments to your resin).

Add a good amount of powder to your resin PLUS an additional layer of powder in your mold. Once cured clean it up and give it a good buff!

Doesn´t give you a mirror-like finish, but I heard that you´ll achieve good results if done right!?

Markus

Last edited:
Are you casting yourself?

Another option to receive somewhat semi-reflective finishes is "cold-casting" (adding metallic powders/ pigments to your resin).

Add a good amount of powder to your resin PLUS an additional layer of powder in your mold. Once cured clean it up and give it a good buff!

Doesn´t give you a mirror-like finish, but I heard that you´ll achieve good results if done right!?

Markus

Ah, interesting... Thanks for the tip!

I am casting myself at the moment, so I might look into somewhere I can buy suitable powders to use for that. Guess it's just gonna take more trial and error! ;)

You could also use gold leaf, tissue thin sheets of actual gold.

Example:
Speedball Composition Gold Leaf Kit - BLICK art materials

Sent from my Apple Newton

I've been strongly toying with the idea of going the leaf route - at least on one of the prototypes. Unfortunately, I can only find imitation gold, but I'm going to see how it comes out, and if I like the result, try harder to find the real deal ;)

Interesting to see that kit comes with a sealer too - first time I have seen both an adhesive and sealer in one go. I see they've got international shipping too, so thanks for the link!

Part of my main problem at the moment is that I'm working with a spherical object, so I need to make a two part mould, and it's taking a little practice to get that working nicely, and given the difficulty of obtaining some of the materials that are easily/cheaply obtainable in the States, I've been trying to be a bit careful and sparing in my usage.

Gonna have to be more adventurous!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back