ST:TNG Geordi LaForge Visor - Finished & Signed, pics in post #21

DrewSmith007

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since Levar Burton will be at Trek Expo in Tulsa next weekend, I decided to make a visor for him to sign. I modeled it in 3d, and I'm currently printing it out in quarters on my reprap mendel v2 prusa. I'm using 1/8" brass tube from hobby lobby for the verticals.

Here's a picture of the 3d model, and I'll have a video up of it printing as soon as youtube finishes.

EDIT: Here's the video: Geordi LaForge Visor printing 1/4 on RepRap Mendel Prusa V2 - YouTube

attachment.php

8%22%20brass%20tube%20from%20hobby%20lobby%20for%20the%20verticals.

Last edited:
Re: ST:TNG Geordi LaForge Visor

Nice! I live nearby and went to the Trek Expo in Tulsa year-before-last. It was awesome.

It's printed in yellow ABS plastic. I epoxied the bottom pieces together, as well as the top pieces. Once that sets, I'll fill it with modeling putty, sand through a few grits of sandpaper, then see how well the chrome spraypaint sticks...

Here's a shot of the printed pieces.

attachment.php

But, I just realized I could have printed it in another orientation in just a top and bottom half, so I'm going to scrap those pieces and print new ones.

Does anyone have a good method for cutting 1/8" brass tubing? Right now, I'm scoring it all the way around with a file, then breaking it. It works, but it's tedious for 50 1" pieces...

Sweet! Is yours a replicator? I almost bought one, but toyed with building my own design, then finally broke down and just bought a prusa kit so I would have something that prints.

It's awesome so far!

>>>clip<<<

Does anyone have a good method for cutting 1/8" brass tubing? Right now, I'm scoring it all the way around with a file, then breaking it. It works, but it's tedious for 50 1" pieces...

A small and inexpensive tubing cutter....
Lots of models out there.....
Here's a few links, but they should be readily available at your favorite local hardware store in the plumbing section.

1/8" to 1-1/8" Mini Tubing Cutter

Tube Cutter Pair, 1/8 to 1 5/8 inch, heavy duty, Plumbing HVAC t, Professional HVAC Field Service Tools

Brass Tubing Cutter | Sears.com

Shylaah

No, I wish. Mine is the Thing-o-matic. Hope to upgrade at some point to either the Solidoodle or the Replicator(have to find a new job first though :p).

Have you tried ABS cement from a hardware store(plumbing section)? It bonds the stuff together if it were one piece. I use small disposable brushes to apply it sparingly.

A small and inexpensive tubing cutter....
Lots of models out there.....
Here's a few links, but they should be readily available at your favorite local hardware store in the plumbing section.

1/8" to 1-1/8" Mini Tubing Cutter

Tube Cutter Pair, 1/8 to 1 5/8 inch, heavy duty, Plumbing HVAC t, Professional HVAC Field Service Tools

Brass Tubing Cutter | Sears.com

Shylaah

Or you may also want to try one of those small cut off saws like Harbor Frieght has.

Bench Top Cut Off Saw

I can't believe I didn't think of a small diameter tubing cutter... I've used larger ones, but just figured they wouldn't work on tubing that small. I'll have to check it out tomorrow...

And no, I havn't tried ABS cement, but I will. I heard about it, but had epoxy on hand and it usually works pretty well...

Thanks!

That is astonishing.

Call me a not-quite-keeping-up-with-the-times-with-this-technology guy (sometimes), but these 3D printing machines vis-a-vis prop building leave me speechless.

Wow.

They are so much fun. It is literally as easy as drawing something in a 3D CAD program and then exporting the file as an .stl and then the printing program creates the g-code based on the options you choose. You can go from a drawing to something in your hand in less than an hour(although large complex objects can take hours to print).

Hi Guys,
That looks great, But it does have a taper from the front to the back so the brass is not all the same size. As far as glue you can also use weldon 3 or 4 to glue it together I would also brush the whole part with the weldon after it is bonded together. This melts all of the layers together. The epoxy is not as good a bond as the abs glue or the weldon. The abs and weldon melt it together. The epoxy is just a cohesive bond.
Hope this helps,

HMS Mike

Yeah, I noticed the taper as well, but I didn't feel like dealing with it in the 3d model. I just had an idea though that might be somewhat easy to implement, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for mentioning it!

As far as the small tubing cutter, the one I got from harbor freight works, but I had to modify it so it could get down to 1/8", even though it says on the package it will work. I had an error on the print I did Saturday night, so I tested the chrome spray paint on it, and I think it will work out really well.

So, the circular cutout on the side where the attachment bolts go didn't turn out very well. I'm currently pondering whether I want to try to put it in or not...

Also, this is the first time I'm done any filling putty or bondo work, and I'm learning a ton. And on this 3d print, there is plenty of stuff to fill in. Thanks to MattMunson's tutorial video, I found some auto body glazing putty which is awesome stuff... Bondo is pretty nice too. I'm waiting on the last layer of primer to set up before the chrome paint, and then some clear. I don't think it will be done tonight, but I'm sure I'll get it done tomorrow.

The replicator is awesome... I use mine every day. Have you uploaded this to thingiverse? I bet you could print the brass bars too, but print them flat on their side and then slide them in

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back