Scratch Built Delivery Ship 3011AD, The Nylon Gag MK.1 FINISHED.

Re: Scratch Built Delivery Ship 3011AD, The Nylon Gag MK.1

It looks good, but the yellow boarder does look soft against the hard grey paneling. Try a richer gold perhaps, or even replace it with a deep red with a black inner. As a big fan of Chris Foss back in the seventies I applaud your decision to go with the scheme you've got, but it may be well worth a look at his colour schemes again before your totally settled on this one.

Ya i noticed, but i was reluctant to make a noob remark to the crafts master. Wasn't sure it was the lighting.
Your correction is spot on, this paintjob is working out great.
I like the scheme-type too. Maybe you could follow the shapes a little more, expressive as they are..
Especially he diagonal one on the wing made me think so.

I like it quite a bit. The only thing not working in my (whatever it's worth opionion) is the main wing. The other are all close to the edge of the surface they are 'painted' on, but the big wing the paint app is in the middle, which looks like the symetry of it is thrown off. Maybe if the wing had an 'egde' paint app instead of in the middle as well, it would make the flow look solid.

Just a thought. Not that I have any right to comment on it at all. I can no-where come close to this level of awesome!

Last edited:

This is by farest the carziest, most accurate and most detailed custom ship I have ever seen build from scratch!! It makes me sleepless nights...how??....how in the world can someone do this with his own hands???

Kudos....I am speechless!! Cannot wait to see it finished!!

And thank you so much for showing it. I really hope to learn a lot by this thread! Thank you!

Last edited:

I would try what others have suggested - swapping the blue & yellow.

You could lay it out on the other side, and compare the two easily.

Don't forget your chipping!

-MJ

Thanks guys i appreciate the input.

This is a quick update with just a few shots from Thursday and Friday, lots of effort with little to show for it.

Masked for semi-gloss black panels, just on the wing fronts, to frame the radarwell, a small panel on the engine fairings and the rear vent.

Picture%2520245.jpg

Picture%2520246.jpg

And the semi-gloss black

Picture%2520247.jpg

Picture%2520248.jpg

Then off with the masking.

Picture%2520249.jpg

Picture%2520250.jpg

Picture%2520256.jpg

Picture%2520261.jpg

Then i took it into the hall way for some beautiy shots with a front engine intake and main engine installed

Picture%2520263.jpg

Picture%2520265.jpg

Picture%2520266.jpg

Picture%2520268.jpg

Picture%2520269.jpg

Picture%2520274.jpg

Picture%2520276.jpg

Thats all for now,

Stay tuned folks

Gag

It's probably just me but I actually like the paint scheme as it stands now.

It's probably just me but I actually like the paint scheme as it stands now.

Its not only you mate. I think the "pied" black n' white painting scheme actually enhances the model. There is so much brilliant detailing in the build and the subtle weathering the more I look at it the more I think stronger colours would take your eye away from that. Like I said I was a huge fan of Chris Foss back in his day ("21st century Foss" was the first graphic art book I ever bought) but the truth is in many cases the strong colour schemes and geometric patterns he employed to paint his ships did so to mask the quite simple shapes he used and lack of detail in them, certainly with his early stuff.
Then along came Starwars and that majorly changed the way a lot of artists conceived their work. Workable detail came in ,loud and proud paintwork out.
I really think for the huge amount of brilliant detailing work that has gone into this,light and simple pays dividends. Maybe a few lighter /darker dis colouring work of the bigger panels and a few thinner stripes mid body and across the wings, but as it is this is one of the most stunning originally works I've ever seen here. And thats up against some very stiff competition.

WOW, this is an astonishing build you got there..

Hope you don't mind me borrowing (read stealing) a few of your ideas.. :)

I really love it as is... My favorite colors, black and grey.

What a great build ... and from a fellow Newburian (I think I just made a new word up) as well!! :thumbsup

I used to live a few miles outside Newbury (Woolton Hill, on the Andover Road) for 30-odd years, and all my working life was in Newbury and surrounding areas. My first job was working in a computer shop called Software City in Cheap Street, then when it closed, I moved across the road to the toy and model shop Trents, just as it was turning into a branch of Beatties.

Remember the Corn Exchange? The Market Place? Northbrook Street with the clock tower at the far end?

What a great build ... and from a fellow Newburian (I think I just made a new word up) as well!! :thumbsup

I used to live a few miles outside Newbury (Woolton Hill, on the Andover Road) for 30-odd years, and all my working life was in Newbury and surrounding areas. My first job was working in a computer shop called Software City in Cheap Street, then when it closed, I moved across the road to the toy and model shop Trents, just as it was turning into a branch of Beatties.

Remember the Corn Exchange? The Market Place? Northbrook Street with the clock tower at the far end?

No way mate,

Trent's, now there's a name i haven't heard for a while.

Do you remember the Model Exhibition they had in the Corn Exchange and one year they had it at the race course, it was a lot of train stuff but there was some plastic stuff and Fairground models and lots radio control

My Pops was one of the organisers of that exhibition and The fair ground stuff was my Granfather's and my Uncle's, my Uncle still makes it.

I even had a table of my stuff one year down the race course, i remember Trents also had a table or two.

Ahh, the good old days

Gag

Ello Peeps

Its not only you mate. I think the "pied" black n' white painting scheme actually enhances the model. There is so much brilliant detailing in the build and the subtle weathering the more I look at it the more I think stronger colours would take your eye away from that. Like I said I was a huge fan of Chris Foss back in his day ("21st century Foss" was the first graphic art book I ever bought) but the truth is in many cases the strong colour schemes and geometric patterns he employed to paint his ships did so to mask the quite simple shapes he used and lack of detail in them, certainly with his early stuff.
Then along came Starwars and that majorly changed the way a lot of artists conceived their work. Workable detail came in ,loud and proud paintwork out.
I really think for the huge amount of brilliant detailing work that has gone into this,light and simple pays dividends. Maybe a few lighter /darker dis colouring work of the bigger panels and a few thinner stripes mid body and across the wings, but as it is this is one of the most stunning originally works I've ever seen here. And thats up against some very stiff competition.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, I decided to approach the paint as if i was Kiko the pilot, what would i do to it.

The examples from Collie Wertz were just a colour guide for me in the end as the curved design he had on his ship didn't fit the straight lines of my ship.

I looked at Chris Foss's designs, which i really like, but there is to much colour for me so i decided to keep it simple stupid (my motto)

Nothing to fancy and i agree with you that i didn't want to destract from the details, that was really the problem, i didn't want to cover the wing top details and i didnt want the design to cover to many panels i had painted.

But i really appreciate everyone who stopped by and gave me their two cents

So, enough chit chat,

Decided to stop over thinking the design, slap on some masking and just go for it.

first under wing details

Four heat lines with shield made from dental floss box

Picture%2520277.jpg

Picture%2520278.jpg

Picture%2520280.jpg

Removed some paint from my actuator drives to expose the gold plated finish underneath, looks just like a pneumatic ram

Picture%2520281.jpg

Picture%2520283.jpg

Then it was time to be bold
Masked of for just the side stripes, engine fairing and the front wing pattern.

Picture%2520284.jpg

Picture%2520285.jpg

Then it was time for the hairspray Course Kosher Salt

Picture%2520286.jpg

Picture%2520287.jpg

I then hit it with a few coats of flat white to make the colours pop better.

Picture%2520288.jpg

Picture%2520289.jpg

Then several layers of the decanted (what a mess) Camel Yellow (TS-34)

Picture%2520291.jpg

Picture%2520292.jpg

Picture%2520293.jpg

Whilst that was drying i gave my pilot 'Kiko' some attention with some oils, i will add more details later.

Picture%2520298.jpg

Then i maksed off for the decanted outer Brilliant blue stripes (TS-44) and gave then several coats

Picture%2520294.jpg

Picture%2520296.jpg

Then the moment of truth, off with the masking

Picture%2520300.jpg

Picture%2520301.jpg

I then removed the salt with water a stiff brush and a sharpened chop stick

Picture%2520302.jpg

Picture%2520306.jpg

Picture%2520310.jpg

Picture%2520315.jpg

Picture%2520318.jpg

I like it, its not over powering, simple but striking. The top of the wing should hopefully be eaisier now to balance it all out. I still have washes and weathering to go on top so it will be calmed down even further.

What do you think?

Got to get up at 4:30am to get the misses from the airport so thats it for me.

Stay tuned for more

Take care

when I first saw you were remasking I was thinking oh no I liked it with just the black...but of course after scrolling and seeing the pics of the blue and gold I completely changed my mind!!! the colors really add to the overall design and do not detract at all from the details of the ship. I think, at least in my opinion, you made a really good choice with the blue and yellow color scheme. Really excited to see what patterns you decide on for the colors on the top wings

A quick vid before I go on vacation :D

Gag

Last edited by a moderator:

I have been watching this build for a while and all I can say is (in the voice of George Takei): "Oh my!"

holy ****in' ****.

this build is SO original and SO good - I demand a new sci-fi series to be built around this ship, its pilot, crew, and their adventures.

:eek

ummm... did we say you were allowed to go on vacation? ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back