What is DC Comics doing wrong?

YenChih Lin

Master Member
Avengers seems to be the big hit as well as Iron-Man. But what does DC wrong in the last couple of years (minus Batman). They wanted to get Justice League on the screen, but with unknowns, that nobody knows… "cutting corners" aren't just describing it. Now with the New52 changing again the DCU including those hideous costumes and letting Synder rampage on Superman MOS, I really believe to bury DC, if they quickly don't change.

What do you think DC should, could or must do to be successful as Marvel?

DC characters do not translate well to the big screen, at least not for me.

Doing Batman the way have been works great, but any other way just comes off too campy.

Marvel's good at live action movies for the most part but not animated movies while DC is really good at animated stuff but not live action. They need to focus on what they're good at. You look at DC's animated stuff and it always has good reviews.

the thing is, DC is trying too hard, and with that turning off fans.
Like the last publicity stunt, with GL being gay. Im pretty sure, it wouldve been a way bigger impact, if they just had done it in the comic, and let the news run its way afterwards.

Same with the movies. Now they see, that Avengers is a hit, they are pressing on Justice League, and WW and Flash movies. The problem will be, that it will be rushed, and therefor will flop (probably)

What i see in the future for DC is, that the company will lose its worth, and will be bought by disney :D

I agree if they'd just had GL come out in the comic it would have had more impact like back when Image suddenly revealed Shadowhawk was black (not sure why it was such a big deal back in the 90s). They didn't tell anyone until that issue.

How many times can Superman face Zod? Oh, what about a giant spider robot? It's hard to convey to the screen a character that could rule the world chooses not to. He chooses the "Boy Scout" way, despite his power.

As to the others...well, they have tried, and aside from Batman, they haven't done too well at all.

How many times can Superman face Zod? Oh, what about a giant spider robot? It's hard to convey to the screen a character that could rule the world chooses not to. He chooses the "Boy Scout" way, despite his power.

As to the others...well, they have tried, and aside from Batman, they haven't done too well at all.

Personally I'd love to see a Superman movie where they're in the Justice Lords universe where all the characters rule the world and people fear them. It was my favorite part of the JL cartoon to see supes burn out Doomsday's brain and incinderate luthor.

I agree if they'd just had GL come out in the comic it would have had more impact like back when Image suddenly revealed Shadowhawk was black (not sure why it was such a big deal back in the 90s). They didn't tell anyone until that issue.

the thing is, DC is trying too hard, and with that turning off fans.
Like the last publicity stunt, with GL being gay. Im pretty sure, it wouldve been a way bigger impact, if they just had done it in the comic, and let the news run its way afterwards.

Same with the movies. Now they see, that Avengers is a hit, they are pressing on Justice League, and WW and Flash movies. The problem will be, that it will be rushed, and therefor will flop (probably)

What i see in the future for DC is, that the company will lose its worth, and will be bought by disney :D
What?! How? Who? GL gay? Was that the big reveal? Sucks:thumbsdown

Marvel didn't always get it right either.

FF4 didn't go over that great.
The first Hulk was, well, let's just say bad.
The first Captain America wasn't very good.
The first FF4 never even made the big screen.
Was there an old Thor?

This go around, Marvel had a plan to put all hero's in the same world (as they are in the comics) and work towards that goal. There is no such goal in DC. Batman is in the real world, but Superman is the 52 version apparently which i'm not sure will go over well with the public, and likely not in the same world and GL wasn't good, though in the real world - but it didn't seem like it'd jive with Nolan's batman world. Now couple that with the fact they want to do JL with all new actor's even though the other series would still be ongoing??? This from the company that said Tom Welling couldn't wear the suit in Smallville because it would confuse people because Returns had recently come out....

Marvel didn't always get it right either.

FF4 didn't go over that great.
The first Hulk was, well, let's just say bad.
The first Captain America wasn't very good.
The first FF4 never even made the big screen.
Was there an old Thor?
:lol
Hulk%20Thor.jpg

Return%20of%20The%20Incredible%20Hulk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The old Captain America Movies. Spiderman live action. Nick Fury starring Hasselhoff. Daredevil, a few times.

Marvel just finally got it together.

DC has fallen into the old 'camp' thinking, or something. Frank Miller pulled Batman away from that, but the rest still live there.

the nolan batman wont be in the jl. batman will be rebooted after the triology is done.

Ok, I just read that Alan Scott is gay… who cares?

Right, if Batman is going to be rebooted, then there is a chance to make JL, where this Batman and Green Lantern as well as Superman can sahring the same screen. I wish Bruce Timm would do the movies for DC, that'll be awesome along with Paul Dini and all the others from the Batman/Superman TAS crew.

I think it has to do with how believable their characters appear to be on the screen. Looking at the Justice League, I feel like the only times they were interesting was when they were actually treated as gods and faced the problems of gods, if that makes any sense. Some Batman vs Superman moments aside, there isn't as much dynamic amongst them as there is with the Avengers. Just my 2 cents.

Also the fact that yes, while Marvel did have bad movies in the past (Elektra? They kind of killed her for me...) they actually managed to pull their smurf together. It took years, but it was worth the wait. They did it right, not for shock value which I feel is the only thing DC is about these days.

As for 52... I gave up on it completely. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who bought all the issues of 52 for the first 2 months just to give it a fair chance and therefore managed to read some of it from him. Pretty much nuked anything from there off my costuming list. Was that disinterested.

EyeOfSauron said it right, DC is trying too hard now and it's showing... in a BAD way!

the thing is: most of the marvel movies, that you named, werent actually made by marvel.
as they sold the movie rights to big studios, they were not responsible for the bad movies tnat were made.
Every movie they made after getting back their movie rights was pretty damn good.

also, the Justice league movie is allready in the works, the question is when it will come out (DC President allready said they were making it). They are working on Scripts for a Wonder Woman and a Flash movie atm, Superman probably will be the first in this series of movies.
Im kinda concerned tho, that they will rush the JL movie. Somewhere they said they wanted to make it before the single character movies, which is just stupid.
It might be ok for the US, but i can guarantee you, that it will flop in europe, because we just dont have the following for all the superheros in the JL. Here, people know Superman, and Batman, from the movies.
But as we had our own comics with Asterix, Lucky luke, TinTin and so on, we didnt have the superhero comics back in the days, so they are not that popular to most guys.

How about "Stay true to the original characters that made them popular in the first place."

Singer noted "Superman cannot be For Truth, Justice and the American way anymore because he is an international franchise". B.S. So they made him into a stalking deadbeat father in the latest movie. Yep, that went over well.

Make the movies more realistic, grittier. The Dark Knight is a good example of how to do it correctly. The GL movie was a bit cartoon like for a live action movie, but not that bad.

In Pixar's Incredibles, Mrs Incredible explains to the kids after being shot down washing up on the beach they are not facing the villains you see in the Saturday morning cartoons. Pixar got the characterization right in an animated movie, the other studios can't figure that out in a live action movie.

Stop repeating the same movie over and over and over again and stop throwing 3 or more sub plots/villains. If the villain and story line is good, one is enough, work on developing the characters and story line.

Yeah definitely, I won't like to see Zod or Luthor again and again like a broken record. Bring on the big guys, Brainiac, Darkseid…

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back