What is DC Comics doing wrong?

Also the fact that yes, while Marvel did have bad movies in the past (Elektra? They kind of killed her for me...)
I had conveniently forgotten about DD AND Elektra. What was wrong with Garner's hips in Elektra? She has the dreaded disease noassatall and was bent at the waist like she was a presenting baboon. I could not sit through it.

How about "Stay true to the original characters that made them popular in the first place."

Singer noted "Superman cannot be For Truth, Justice and the American way anymore because he is an international franchise". B.S. So they made him into a stalking deadbeat father in the latest movie. Yep, that went over well.

That's the very view that the movie and comic companies are looking at these days: they'd rather focus on international audiences as those make them more cash than US audiences and alienate the fans. Plus Singer's just a hack. I can't believe he's brothers with Marc Singer the Beastmaster.

the thing is: most of the marvel movies, that you named, werent actually made by marvel.
as they sold the movie rights to big studios, they were not responsible for the bad movies tnat were made.
Every movie they made after getting back their movie rights was pretty damn good.

also, the Justice league movie is allready in the works, the question is when it will come out (DC President allready said they were making it). They are working on Scripts for a Wonder Woman and a Flash movie atm, Superman probably will be the first in this series of movies.
Im kinda concerned tho, that they will rush the JL movie. Somewhere they said they wanted to make it before the single character movies, which is just stupid.
It might be ok for the US, but i can guarantee you, that it will flop in europe, because we just dont have the following for all the superheros in the JL. Here, people know Superman, and Batman, from the movies.
But as we had our own comics with Asterix, Lucky luke, TinTin and so on, we didnt have the superhero comics back in the days, so they are not that popular to most guys.

That's kind of my point. They sat back and took the money and watched these other studios screw things up left and right. They got fed up and decided to do it themselves and voila', smash success.

DC, well, I don't know if they're doing anything themselves or still selling rights only. At this point, they're still not going after what marvel wanted which was more or less accurate to the comics tellings and consistency between movies and trying to get the movies right. Their response is 'The avengers just made 5 quadrillion bucks, we need to get JL out there ASAP so we can cash in'.

Marvel took over their franchises to get it right and set out a long term far reaching plan. DC's plan is cash in, or so it seems. Plus they seem to be pushing the 52 stuff which, from what i've heard, no one really is into.

When it comes down to it. NO ONE KNOWS what will be popular and what isn't.

Marvel has gotten lucky.

As many people hate Iron Man 2, Thor, The I-Hulk as like them. And there are some CA: TFA detractors as well, though not as many.

I agree that DC trying to make something serious, that really can't bve taken seriously, is the wrong way to go. Hopefully what Marvel has done either by design or not, will wake them up. But from the looks of the new Sups movie they haven't.

Hell, they might as well have changed the color of the Flag. That new Superman suit is ridiculous.

As someone else said a little more eloquently; DC is just a lame universe. Superman has always been boring and they just don't have anything else that interesting.

Marvel has a more interesting lineup. :thumbsup

Marvel for some reason also has more believable characters, even with all their powers many of them have very easy to relate to flaws. Tony Stark in the comics before anything else was a raging alcoholic and has fought that issue for decades. Bigger than life only works because they have flaws that are believable. One thing the darker takes of batman in the comics and games is that he's slowly realizing that his no kill policy is costing innocent lives. I did see the end of smallville and it was better in the 5 minutes during the daily planet than all of Superman Returns.

...Superman has always been boring...

I disagree. Superman is an amazing character; he's just more subtle and thoughtful than a lot of other heros. In the 12 issue series, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, written by Grant Morrison, illustrated by Frank Quitely and colored by Jamie Grant, Superman is extremely intelligent, funny, empathetic, powerful and always optimistic--even though he is dealing with his own mortality.

It seems funny to me that people are blaming the characters for the failures of certain writers, directors and anyone else that might be involved in their story telling. Art isn't easy.

Barry.

Marvel has gotten lucky.

This! Can thank Jon Favreau and his inspired casting of "Iron Man" for the success of the rest. IM was a 2nd tier character in the Marvel universe at best and a huge gamble for the new studio. It exceeded even their expectations and without that success there would never have been "The Avengers."

As someone else said a little more eloquently; DC is just a lame universe. Superman has always been boring and they just don't have anything else that interesting.

I would argue that DC had more household names than Marvel before Marvel Studios became such a success. DC may have lost an opportunity in exploiting that while Marvel did a remarkable job in bringing their characters to front of mind of an audience who wasn't necessarily that familiar with them.

In any event, I think DC can pull this off and it doesn't have to be a Marvel carbon copy approach. It can work even if it is a little darker than "The Avengers" and it can work with using "Man of Steel" as the jumping off point. If that's even what they choose to do. But then again I am optimistic to a fault. :lol

You could be right, but the flaw would be that they're seemingly using the 52's for Man of Steel and others going forward...

Why is that a flaw? I'm not trying to be funny. Just wondering as I haven't read a comic book in 25 years.
Your loss.

I read plenty of comics. Most of them aren't Marvel or DC.

In fact, after the DC Universe reboot that changed Clark Kent into a Peter Parker clone and Superman into a disaffected alien wearing a terribly designed costume and Supergirl into an alienated alien and a bunch of other terribly designed costumes and poorly written books I gave up on them. I was much more a DC reader than a Marvel reader (I might read 1 or 2 Marvel books monthly).

There's too much good stuff out there... anything by Terry Moore, for example.

I think the thing that DC is doing wrong, at least with movies, is that they seem to be trying to directly compete with Marvel. Green Lantern, if I remember correctly, was rushed so it could compete with Thor and X-M:FC. Now, apparently they are trying to get a Justice League movie together because Avengers did so well. I get that super hero movies are the 'in' thing right now and DC should try to get a slice of that pie, but they really need to do their own thing. Copying Marvel is only going to cause fans to compare the two and since Marvel did it first and did it really well, DC will always be at a disadvantage.

Superman and Lex?

Just saw X-Men First Class. Again with Magneto?! That's FOUR movies where they're against Magneto.
Who else has ever done that? Move On!

Marvel heroes have real lives, and I remember quite a bit about them. Other than Batman, I barely know most DC heroes real names, let alone their private lives. They are very 'cartoonish'. Maybe that's why their cartoons are good.
It seems most Marvel movies are being based off the Ultimates line. It gave a fresh look. Maybe DC is trying that with New 52.

Marvel has gotten lucky.

As many people hate Iron Man 2, Thor, The I-Hulk as like them. And there are some CA: TFA detractors as well, though not as many.

I agree that DC trying to make something serious, that really can't bve taken seriously, is the wrong way to go. Hopefully what Marvel has done either by design or not, will wake them up. But from the looks of the new Sups movie they haven't.

Hell, they might as well have changed the color of the Flag. That new Superman suit is ridiculous.

Maybe you're right with the luck thing as well as the Superman costume.

I disagree. Superman is an amazing character; he's just more subtle and thoughtful than a lot of other heros. In the 12 issue series, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, written by Grant Morrison, illustrated by Frank Quitely and colored by Jamie Grant, Superman is extremely intelligent, funny, empathetic, powerful and always optimistic--even though he is dealing with his own mortality.

It seems funny to me that people are blaming the characters for the failures of certain writers, directors and anyone else that might be involved in their story telling. Art isn't easy.

Barry.

I agree with Barry here, Superman can be intersting, in comics and in TAS. I heard too that All Star Superman is great, never got to read.

This! Can thank Jon Favreau and his inspired casting of "Iron Man" for the success of the rest. IM was a 2nd tier character in the Marvel universe at best and a huge gamble for the new studio. It exceeded even their expectations and without that success there would never have been "The Avengers."

I would argue that DC had more household names than Marvel before Marvel Studios became such a success. DC may have lost an opportunity in exploiting that while Marvel did a remarkable job in bringing their characters to front of mind of an audience who wasn't necessarily that familiar with them.

In any event, I think DC can pull this off and it doesn't have to be a Marvel carbon copy approach. It can work even if it is a little darker than "The Avengers" and it can work with using "Man of Steel" as the jumping off point. If that's even what they choose to do. But then again I am optimistic to a fault. :lol
Yeahh, IM2 wasn't my favourite too, was off track, but I still could put my finger on - somehow a weak story. Oh yes, DC lost the swing after Batman 1989 to introduce Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern etc. It would have been totally different.

I think the thing that DC is doing wrong, at least with movies, is that they seem to be trying to directly compete with Marvel. Green Lantern, if I remember correctly, was rushed so it could compete with Thor and X-M:FC. Now, apparently they are trying to get a Justice League movie together because Avengers did so well. I get that super hero movies are the 'in' thing right now and DC should try to get a slice of that pie, but they really need to do their own thing. Copying Marvel is only going to cause fans to compare the two and since Marvel did it first and did it really well, DC will always be at a disadvantage.
I agree with you, if DC is rushing all their projects, it'll fire backwards - half baked movies and then they are wondering, why it doesn't work…

I heard there used to be a major feud between DC writers and Warner execs who not only wanted to make the movies "their way" but then tried to force DC to write comics "for their movies", although most of the people who were involved are now gone, it's still lingering somewhere.

The problem with many DC characters is that you have to understand that they don't do "dark, edgy, grubby" Characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, etc are bright colourful symbols. If you make a dark, self-doubting, edgy Superman you completely missed the point, he should be an inspiring figure.

When somebody says "Superman is a lame boyscout" they usually mean "He doesn't shoot people in the face with a bazooka and doesn't make a wisecrack about their sexuality afterwards and that that's why Superman is lame."

I think doing a JLA film out of the blue could work if the people making the film don't lose their nerve. Stand firm and tell a good story and sell the characters as they are. Just like they did with Thor. Don't try to change things in an attempt to lure the lowest common denominator because you end up with third-rate material.

I'd love to see Batman in a Gotham hit by an earthquake. He pulls off some amazing stunts to save people, but as a tsunami is coming, he's way over his head. Then cue John Williams and have that blue-red-yellow streak appear in the sky. Superman slows down the tsunami with his ice breath while Green Lantern makes a dam to protect the city ... While Batman is trapped in a collapsing building, have Wonder Woman pull him out. Batman may not be able to hold back a collapsing building, but he knows the city better than anybody else and can coordinate the effort to keep power going and the rescue services reach their destination. Once the crisis is over Batman knows the earthquake is not an accident. Slowly reveal a major threat, show that Batman is smart and skilled enough to outmaneuver any of the heroes with great powers, have him lift Green Lantern's ring, sneak up on Superman, pull a move on WW she didn't expect etc ... Make Superman an honest, courageous man who uses his power to save people, gives hope and inspires people. He could rule our planet like a God, but he decided that we should rule ourselves, he's just there to help and give everybody a chance. Wonder Woman is compassionate, understanding, always looking for a peaceful resolution, but once the gloves do come off she can kick ass on an epic level and will go where not even Batman or Superman want to go ... These heroes have never worked together. Everybody is surprised that Batman is handling Gotham without any superpowers. Guys like Flash, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter can be introduced as things move along.

If you can sell that, JLA will be as big as Avengers.

I think that there are too many embarrasing heroes in the DC stable. I find Wonder Woman and Aquaman cringe worthy.......I love Superman, but he's kind of 1 dimensional...and when Singer tried to give him multiple dimensions, he just came off as a dead beat, stalking loser......Batman's been done to death now, and TBH i don't see him working in a team.

Green Lantern? Well, i guess the character has potential, but there's a long way to go before i forgive the lamentable GL movie.....is there anyone else?

oh yes, The Martian Manhunter......that's the kind of character name that would get you beaten up at school for mentioning.

I honestly think DC needs to work on connecting these characters to the real world.....which might be difficult as they all live in made up, analogous cities.......

I truly hope Man of Steel is ....interesting, clever and witty enough to be the springboard for more palatable DC movies.....

Rich

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back