Skyrim: Steel Axe (FINAL pg. 4!)

Volpin

Sr Member
Seems like Skyrim is all the rage these days! I have a couple commissions coming up, and one I've been looking forward to for a while. The Steel weapons in Skyrim aren't exactly the most powerful, but the axes are quite pretty.

7185497413_9187bb0172_c.jpg

This will be a cast resin piece. I'm planning on making the handle and axe head 2 separate parts to make molding and casting easier.

Started off by making blueprints in illustrator. I recently got a laser cutter, so making vector files for props is really convenient in scratchbuilding.

7183995992_d1c3c7bdde_c.jpg

Base frame for the blade was cut from acrylic

7367465306_79bdb0bdc0_b.jpg

I added a center ABS cylinder and curved supports cut from more acrylic to form the overhead shape of the axe

7367465052_34149a149e_b.jpg

Styrene was layered over this to make the contoured gradual curve. The overhead angle shows what I was after best.

7367464698_7aa62390d5_b.jpg

Detail plates were cut from more styrene. The laser cutter makes stuff like this a lot easier, but these parts still needed a lot of cleanup after trimming. They had a sort of polygonal edge to them which needed a lot of sanding before it looked like a smooth, even curve.

7182231249_0854ac31f8_b.jpg

These were glued to the styrene frame. Upper and lower sections of the head were added with similar layered parts.

7367464132_e071af7ca5_b.jpg

7367463996_813d490eb3_b.jpg

This is where I'm at as of tonight. About 2 days into the project so far. The beveled edges are defined by the side and top/bottom plates. All i need to do is fill the bevels in with apoxie sculpt and sand it flush once it dries.

7370708470_a70a1d529b_b.jpg

I'll also be cutting the filigree parts, but after the sanding on the bevels is complete. I ran a test with some scrap "for sale" sign styrene just to check thickness. Looks the part, but like all the curved edges, they'll require a fair bit of cleanup.

7182230567_7c21806b0a_b.jpg

7182230643_189e389651_b.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy following along with the build!

Last edited:
Re: Skyrim: Steel Axe

Only two days? That's impressive. It would take me at least a week to finish that.

Anyway, looking great, as always........I never expect anything less of your work. What do you think the timeframe will be on this one?

I bet that laser cutter would have made cutting out the Portal gun claws I did today alot easier, someday ! This is looking really nice and I like your approach to putting it together !

Went about sanding all the apoxie sculpt down today. Surprisingly needed very little filler to clean it all up. Tossed a couple coats of black primer on it to see where I'm at. The middle of the head where the handle fits into will need to be made a bit thicker, but otherwise I'm pleased with how things are looking.

7188501631_511bceff58_b.jpg

7188501469_53cd4af057_b.jpg

7188501119_f1db0e5a4b_b.jpg

Started on the upper part of the handle which sits right below the axe head. This will eventually be cut apart to make the narrow (really stupid weak point!) section just above the wooden part of the handle.

Started with a block of sintra, and cut a few pieces of acrylic to act as guides similar to how I shaped the axe head.

7373734482_b938442c7f_b.jpg

Laid styrene over this, then filled seams with apoxie sculpt. I'll sand these back tomorrow once they're dry and work on refining the shape some more.

7188501189_ee06ddd92a_b.jpg

7188501011_1ec87cfff8_b.jpg

Looks great so far. I love how stuff looks when you get that first good coat of primer on them.
Seems you use Apoxie sculpt for every project now. How much do you usually go through a month?

Okay, that's it, I'm drawing the line. You don't need a laser cutter. :lol

Looks pretty sweet so far. I think I've played all of five mins. of this game, I'll have to start playing it again.

Looks great so far. I love how stuff looks when you get that first good coat of primer on them.
Seems you use Apoxie sculpt for every project now. How much do you usually go through a month?

Not a whole lot, maybe 1lb a month or so? Smooth-On has a material that's sort of similar, when I run out of my current stash I was thinking of giving it a try.

Okay, that's it, I'm drawing the line. You don't need a laser cutter. :lol

hah, why not? One of these days I really need to learn some 3D modeling skills so I can take advantage of this whole Shapeways craze.

Not a whole lot of work to show on the axe from the past few days. Been working on other projects, but I did get the upper handle section cleaned up.

7386806982_7eb15fc88c_b.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back