At Last. A Truly Accurate First Blood Knife!

Hello,

Right now I am waiting for my handmade Rambo 3 knife to be delivered to me. It is all Damascus, having a Damascus steel blade with HRC at 59. It also has a Damascus guard and pommel as well. the handle is a very dark brown hard wood. The knife is absolutely stunning. Am also waiting for my handmade Rambo 4 machete knife to be finished and sent out. It will be made with either D2 steel or 1095 steel. the maker of it said the blade thickness is 2 3/4 inches but I think he made an error there.

That would be awfully thick. I pmed him about it and waiting for a response. I am sure he mistyped. Anyway, the length of it is 13.75 inches long and the width of the blade is 4 3/4 inches I think! Might not be screen accurate but it is handmade, better than the cheapo MC/ UC ones, and that is good enough for me! Next in line will be a handmade Rambo Missions knife, probably next year.

Then after that one I will be looking into getting a few Martin handmade knives. One of them that I want and might even get Before the Missions knife, is the Martin Apparo knife. I am going to try and get that one in a few months!

Hello,

Right now I am waiting for my handmade Rambo 3 knife to be delivered to me. It is all Damascus, having a Damascus steel blade with HRC at 59. It also has a Damascus guard and pommel as well. the handle is a very dark brown hard wood. The knife is absolutely stunning. Am also waiting for my handmade Rambo 4 machete knife to be finished and sent out. It will be made with either D2 steel or 1095 steel. the maker of it said the blade thickness is 2 3/4 inches but I think he made an error there.

That would be awfully thick. I pmed him about it and waiting for a response. I am sure he mistyped. Anyway, the length of it is 13.75 inches long and the width of the blade is 4 3/4 inches I think! Might not be screen accurate but it is handmade, better than the cheapo MC/ UC ones, and that is good enough for me! Next in line will be a handmade Rambo Missions knife, probably next year.

Then after that one I will be looking into getting a few Martin handmade knives. One of them that I want and might even get Before the Missions knife, is the Martin Apparo knife. I am going to try and get that one in a few months!

The Rambo 3 knife sounds nice! :)

I have 2 Hibben handmade Rambo 3 knives. It's amazing how you can feel the difference in an original handmade to a factory made copy. I think the United cutlery Rambo 3 although just shy of 2" shorter, is a quality product and worth every penny.

This is one of my Rambo 3 Hibben handmades in a display I made with a screen used pair of boots Stallone wore in the movie. I kinda modelled it on the Russian fort mine scene. I will eventually invest in a perspex dome for it.

Rambo 3 Hibben Knives - YouTube

Rambo 3 knife display - YouTube

My Andy Wood FB knife has arrived and it is really marvellous...I love it :)
Sorry for my crappy pic, I will try to take a better one during daylight !!

Hello,

Wow!!! You really made this knife on Youtube? How much do you charge to make a Rambo 3 knife? Pls reply and let me know. Also, can you make the First Blood or Rambo Missions knife? If so, how much would you be willing to make one for? Andy Wood's FB knives are superb. And while I am sure they are well worth the price he charges, so of us Blue Collar workers just cannot simply afford them.

Right now I am looking at and considering a Steve Voorhis FB knife version. However, I think it more resembles the Sly II which is fine with me. I already have his Rambo Missions version knife. It isn't an identical Missions knife, but the reason I call it that is that it does have the 10 inch blade and split serrations and raker teeth. And I replaced his cord wrap with brand new military grade 440 para cord, Desert Storm tan, in honor and memory of my late baby brother who died just over a year ago.

I have a handmade survival knife that was made in memory of my late father who died in 2010. I tell you, that knife is made to be a real beast and it is solid. Just about the best made knife of all. Well, I think all of the handmade knives I have, and my high end production knives, are made very very well. My good knifemaker friend Andy (Not Andy Wood) has really taught me a lot of how to tell well made knives from the crap ones. But he just doesn't make the FB and other Rambo tribute knives. He likes to make his own survival knife styles. I have a handmade FB knife that was made by a very skilled knife maker like Andy (Wood). So I am looking for a Rambo 3 movie knife and/ or a Rambo Missions movie knife.

I have a handmade Rambo 4 knife but don't really care for the Rambo 4 version knife. But it was a good deal so I bought it. Anyway, please send me a message about you making Rambo Missions and Rambo 3 knife and what you charge. Maybe we can do business.

The Rambo 3 knife sounds nice! :)

I have 2 Hibben handmade Rambo 3 knives. It's amazing how you can feel the difference in an original handmade to a factory made copy. I think the United cutlery Rambo 3 although just shy of 2" shorter, is a quality product and worth every penny.

This is one of my Rambo 3 Hibben handmades in a display I made with a screen used pair of boots Stallone wore in the movie. I kinda modelled it on the Russian fort mine scene. I will eventually invest in a perspex dome for it.

Rambo 3 Hibben Knives - YouTube

Rambo 3 knife display - YouTube

Here's my Lile stamped Andy Wood knife. Had it for ages but only just got round posting pics.

esid.jpg

mnd2.jpg

Here is a video of my Andy Wood Lile stamped FB knife. All the contents within the handle apart from the Victorinox knife is from a Vietnam era survival kit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant think of one other knife maker that has gotten this close to Jimmy lile's work. Please do tell of who the maker(s) are and can you back your statement up with photographs please? :)

Farid Mehr from England (....if you never heard from him...) made the first FB handmade replica based with a GENUINE LILE FB in hands

I dont talk about his 13 FB numbered knives with sandblasted buttcap , but i have seen others more "private" version of them

with screen accurate look \ size \ dimension + SOLID anti-magnetic steel buttcap , with the same Lile's (even if not made by him) dry compass (same era)

Of course you will tell that his leathersheath are not screen accurate , but when you add one made by famous leathersmith (do not name it) to the knife

No one ever made one so accurate , NEVER

Farid # 1 , Andy Wood # 2 , Lile LLC # 3 and Ray Matton got the last position

Even is extremely well made , Wood & Jack Lucarelli & Vaughn never got the magic touch to details ( Teeths Grinding Angle for exemple...)

I dont have a photo in hands , but google is your friend

Dont yell that the Farid's Buttcap are not screen accurate because they are made of cheap aluminium
at the time , Lile was not able to create a SOLID anti-magnetic buttcap made of same material than the blade-guard-handle parts , so he choose aluminium

but using modern steel era , Farid created an entire FB screen accurate knife with SOLID buttcap ....and FB folder too ....not a cheap Victorinox gift haha :)

I have no issues with Farid Mehr, he's a great guy, I have spoken to him a couple of times via email in the past, however, Andy Wood IS the ONLY knife maker who has gotten as close as humanly possible to the specs of the 6 First Blood movie knives FACT! Knife makers Like Ray Matton, who I had the pleasure of having one of his knives made for me by him, never intended to make them 100% exact on purpose, and I respect the reasons why he did this. Ray makes a great knife, and I regret selling the one I had.

Andy Wood, is one of a few who never preaches about how accurate his knives are, he lets those who buys his knives to make up their own minds. The fact that many people have gotten stirred up about this issue is a testament in itself that Andy got it right, and its hit a few nerves with some people. At the end of the day, who cares who is doing and making what. The handmade knife market is big enough to let anyone who has been given permission by Lile Knives to recreate their versions, and its up to collectors and hard core First Blood fans such as myself, to give their feedback. I am sure Andy and all the other FB knife makers just wanna get on with what they enjoy doing without this becoming a playground dispute. Just my take on it anyways. ;-)

PS The Victorinox folder, was just something I threw in, as was the Vietnam era Us survival items. Andy doesn't supply any of the contents, neither does Ray, as far as I am aware.

Last edited:
Tom,

I cant comment on any other FB knives, as I have only ever had Andy's and Ray's. It all depends on your own personal preference and budget I suppose. :)

I have had a few of Farids knives. It's not as accurate as Andy Woods sadly. It was never meant to be though, and the Lile knife he had in hand had been reprofiled before as it had suffered a broken tip sometime in it's life. And you can clearly see that slightly abrupt profile in all of his FB knives. But despite that, like all of Farids sharps it's a very well made knife. The accuracy of Andy Woods version has been confirmed by comparison to the recent screen used knife that came up for auction.

The LILE Next Gen is very nice but still not as accurate. It is more an idealised version. Again, it was never meant to be a 100% replica. More a tribute.

The Black Starr knife is by far the less accurate as the dimensions are well off on the handle, blade and guard. The most obvious being the length of the handle being too long and grind too shallow. It is a good knife for the price point though.

I have had a few of Britt's knives and Ray Mattons too. Getting an accurate version has been a grail quest for me and I even requested more accurate private commissions to nail the dimensions. That's why I know that Andy Wood's version is the most accurate to date. It isn't likely to be bettered either as the grinds, profile and dimensions are damned near micron perfect to that screen used prop that was made public earlier this year. The milling was slightly different on the butt cap, but Andy sent a replacement based on this knowledge to correct that. So I have no issues at all.

Last edited:
Hello.

Well, I am Finally, after a long wait, getting several new handmade First Blood movie knives made! I am getting the awesome Ray Matton handmade First Blood knife! I requested Ray to make one for me a few weeks ago and he accepted. I also have ordered and have made a down payment on the Martin MCE II handmade knife which may not be an exact copy of the movie one, but it comes very close to it. In addition, a newcommer knife maker who has proven his knives to be solid, is also making me his version of the First Blood knife but with some improvements to make it an up-to-date style knife. He was actually inspired by me to make it, and also by the Lile First Blood knife, of course. His name is Sam Wilson. We are calling this knife his Model 6. It is going to be the #1 and also the Prototype (and will have the #1 on one side, Prototype on the other) in what we believe will be a successful numbered run of knives for him.

Sam is also making me his Model 2 knife with some changes to it that he is placing on it at my request. This one might be more of a Rambo Missions style knife, meaning that it will Not be an exact copy, but will have some same characteristics of the Missions one. Sam's regular Model 2 is his own design and is in no way a Rambo tribute knife. He is just making the changes to this one Model 2 specifically for me, which will have it resembling the Rambo Missions knife.

My Ray Matton FB knife will have a D2 steel blade and guard, 300 series stainless steel hollowed handle, and I believe a T6061 aluminum endcap with embedded compass. The endcap Might be made of stainless steel too, I am not sure.

My Martin knives MCE II will have a 440C steel blade and guard, stainless steel hollowed handle, and stainless steel endcap. It will also be dual coated with the Greyish Oxide middle part of the blade, and the edges will have a satin finish. They won't just be polished Edges...they will have an actual satin finish on them. It will look just like the First Blood movie knife as far as that goes. My awesome Matton Edge first Blood knife will also have the dual finish.

Both of my Sam Wilson knives, the Model 2 and Model 6, wil have a full satin finish. The blade and guard are going to be made with S35VN stainless steel. The handles will be made with either 440C steel or a 300 seriest steel. The endcaps will also me made with ss I think, but might be made with t6061 aluminum.

I already have one First Blood style knife that was made by Canadian Master Knife Maker and Teacher Mr. Bill Schiller, who happens to be Ray Matton's friend, mentor, and teacher of knife making. It is going to be quite an honor to have First Blood knives made by both mentor/ teacher and student.

I can remember just a few years ago when I could oly long for and Dream of having not only a true handmade First Blood knife, and seeing posts of all of the people that were getting one, and wishing that were me. And now, wit God ever so smiling down on my life, not only have I already have a high end solid handmade First Blood movie knife...but I have other high end handmade survival knives with one being a #1 and Prototype of a knife maker's numbered series run. And what is a real blessing, is that Now I will have several handmade First Blood knives.

I have been thinking about doing this: I have been thinking about getting a handmade First Blood/ Rambo Missions knife made by every knife maker that makes these types of knives, with the exception of 1. And the reason for my not getting one made by this person is due to all of the negativity that has been going around about him and the knives he haa falsely claimed that he makes, but in reality only Assembles them. And other factors involved here that have deterred me from getting one from this guy. And that is all ZI am going tos ay about that.

My new knives should start rolling in from January through March, maybe even the first week or so of April. But I think i will have them all sooner than April. When I get them I will post some pics of them. My apologies for the long post here. I just haven't been here in a while. Posts from this point on by me will be short! Thanks for reading!

My favorite movie knife...I have to ask, so I'm sure I can't afford it!? What kind of $$ are we talking here!??
Just wondering? Cheers!!

From the mobile office of Wolf Navarro

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back