A substitute for welding?

Ampix0

I am planning a build for a lamp. I found a brass base, and I want to attach a brass or copper tube to it as the "core" of the lamp. How would I secure this, not being able to weld.

It sounds intimidating, i know, but a brass to brass connection doesnt take a whole ton of heat. You can get a disposable style propane torch from the hardware/home improvement store and braze it up nicely.

If you prefer not to mess with flame, ive been using Devcon 5-min epoxy on odd jobs with pretty decent success. Ive also heard good things about JB weld, but never used it.

Soldering is definitely the way to go. You'll be surprised how easy it is, and infinitely more satisfied to know you did it the right way; and learned a new skill!

It sounds intimidating, i know, but a brass to brass connection doesnt take a whole ton of heat. You can get a disposable style propane torch from the hardware/home improvement store and braze it up nicely.

I think bigbisont has the right idea. I've done tons of welding in the past and brazing is going to be the best way to go. If you use J B weld in time it may brake but if you weld the joints with a nickle brazing rod it should stand the test of time. I did a little research and found this video of a product that may help make things easier. Hope that it helps.
http://youtu.be/EraDM8MPocw

I think bigbisont has the right idea. I've done tons of welding in the past and brazing is going to be the best way to go. If you use J B weld in time it may brake but if you weld the joints with a nickle brazing rod it should stand the test of time. I did a little research and found this video of a product that may help make things easier. Hope that it helps.
Brazing Copper to brass with low Temperature aluminum braze UNI-4300 by Uniweld - YouTube

You know what, that looks easy. If I can buy that stuff cheap, that's what I'll do.

Yeah, brazing is quite easy, and very fun. The tools will costs you less than 25$ at most local hardware stores. I recommend map gas over propane though, faster and easier to work with. (burns a bit hotter)

Use this stuff and a regular plumbing propain torch you can get from any hardware store.

Amazon.com: SBSK Silver Solder 3/64" 1/2 oz: Toys & Games

It is really easy to use and super strong. Just clean the parts a bit, use sand paper to scuff both surfaces, put a few drops of the flux (it comes with the solder) on both parts and solder it. Make sure to heat the metal parts and not the solder directly. It will pull the solder right into your joint and look nice and clean.

Yeah, brazing is quite easy, and very fun. The tools will costs you less than 25$ at most local hardware stores. I recommend map gas over propane though, faster and easier to work with. (burns a bit hotter)

I have heard,...must admit not confirmed, but 'heard' that true MAPP gas isnt in production in the U.S. anymore (...probably should also ask where you live). Doesnt mean you can't get it, just sayin' that if you see something labled as "MAPPro" or "Mapp-pro" you should read the fine print.

Despite the implied meaning of 'pro' as in professional, 'pro' here actually means 'Propane'. They give it the "mapp" prefix because of the old school reputation. So watch out for that curveball if you get your heart set on mapp gas.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back