PotC Rolling/spinning map (bamboo test)

belsilene

Like so many others on this forum, I've been thinking about this map.
The obvious part is print it on a bamboo surface (carpet or similar), but what interests me is to see it moving, which is complicated.
I know that there are two versions on the film, one which is rolled up and other spinning, but I think I can do something similar.
I know I'm not the first trying, and I guess I'll leave it at the end :sick, but out of curiosity I made a small scale example, I think if I can do with paper I can also do it with tables, but it is clear that it will roll up only when the tables are in the correct position.

As Robstyle said: "When layed out flat things are close spacing, when rolled up they are expanded" I know, I know, but I have a desire to try. (and probably fail) :facepalm
I think Zlurpo was on the right path.

The problem as all is that the cutting and printing are expensive, and by hand, not easy to cut with precision, but if I ever get serious about it I'll show you.

This is my test.

Mapa - YouTube

Last edited:
Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Rolling/spinning map (concept)

if you can upscale that your onto a winner, great job

Thanks. The next step is a cutting test. It's the hardest part for me :p

I'm wondering if your finished piece will have the same texture as the one in the film?

The 'test' you made is mega-cool :cool, and I think it can 'easily' be recreated on a larger scale, using the concept of a print for each tier stuck onto individual 'planks'. Once lined up, the rolling up would also be possible.

I think the hardest would probably be finding a way to not have the rotating tiers at different levels and have them secured for handling at the same time without them falling out of their slot. Can it even be done :confused

In fact, the 'easiest' way to have it all roll up without having to slightly offset each 'plank' due to the 'expansion' issue you mention, is to have it done without tiers at all. The planks would be their exact correct size, each circle fitted perfectly into the next. Rolling up problem solved.

You are still left with the how to secure those circles within the circles, with them rotating, and not falling out of their slots while being handled on anything but a flat surface, or indeed, while being rolled up.

Last edited:

Actually, I think I just answered my own question and 'solved it'. A potential starting-point concept anyway.

I think it is possible, so long as you don't mind a little what the back looks like.

Instead of having the whole of each 'wheel' rotate, you cheat :lol

Make two identical size 'wheels' out of 'planks' for each inner size, but at only half the thickness of the whole map.

The bottom wheel can be held in place with a sheet that would hold the planks in place, and extend right up to the edge of the map.

The top wheel planks of each rotating part are held in place by the actual section of print.

The top & bottom wheels are held together via an embedded (so it won't create a 'hump' through the print) rivet in the middle of the central plank of both wheels (to be inserted before sticking on the print and the bottom sheet on the underside).

ie, the 'bottom' planks of the whole map do not rotate.

Only the top part with the prints do.

The sheet on the underside can be painted to look like individual planks. Or if you really want to 'push' it, make the wheels one third thickness. Top will rotate, middle will hold everything in place, and the bottom will be just decoration / non-spinning, but planks nonetheless.

And it can be rolled up like a charm since they are fitted in their wheels within wheels already sized and no worries for the 'expansion' problem.

Am I making any sense ?

Last edited:

I'm wondering if your finished piece will have the same texture as the one in the film?
I also wonder that :lol

Alan: thanks for your support, you've explained well, but I'm not fluent in English and I think I've missed a step, :confused I have to think more about your message. I'm not really sure if this is what I've done.

I made a test with a bamboo cloth. Still on a small scale, although I am sure that is going to work well at real scale. This test does not turn smoothly, because I have not cut accurately (I'm not very good with the saw) and is slightly curved at opening because I used a little stiff material, but both problems are solvable.
The technical problems associated with printing and cutting professionally will be something to worry if I ever decide to do it for real, but so far I am satisfied with my day of work.

mapa2 - YouTube

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back