Can anybody explain spot putty to me?

FWBulldog

OMFG. I'm so frustrated. I'm trying to fill in the pinholes left after sanding down the Evercoat. I have the Bondo brand spot putty. The problem is that by the time squeeze a little into the pinhole, and put the cap back on, it's started to dry and I when I spread it the putty kind of cakes and creates more edges and spots that need to be filled.

If I try to spread it using one of the plastic spreaders it always has little streaks, regardless of how clean I get the spreader.

It generally makes things worse, not better. So I'm obviously doing something wrong, and it's so f'ing frustrating.

Is there a tutorial on the best way to apply this stuff? Is there better stuff than Bondo?

After applying spot putty I wet sand the surface with 600+ grit sand paper - comes out very smooth. There are spot putty tutorials on youtube made by those crafting pepakura costumes. Hope you have better luck.

Are you sure you're using spot putty, not regular bondo? Spot putty usually comes in a tube, is one material/color, no mixing, whereas bondo is one can of material with a tube of activator. If you are using spot putty, it sounds like it might be older material? I know when I use it (spot putty), it stays "liquid" long enough to spread- I always have to let it sit awhile to dry enough to be able to sand.

Are you sure you're using spot putty, not regular bondo? Spot putty usually comes in a tube, is one material/color, no mixing, whereas bondo is one can of material with a tube of activator. If you are using spot putty, it sounds like it might be older material? I know when I use it (spot putty), it stays "liquid" long enough to spread- I always have to let it sit awhile to dry enough to be able to sand.

Yes, I'm sure I'm using spot putty. Does the stuff go bad? I used it last Halloween when working on my Halo helmet. I never considered that it might go bad. Maybe that's it. I can pick up a new tube tomorrow.

I have had a problem with using it before but it seems it was just a bad batch. Try a new tube. I love using this stuff.

How long do you let it dry before you sand? What grit?

So far I've applied the Evercoat and then used 80 grit to get to the basic shape, then 120 grit, then 240. I'm left with a lot of pinholes and places where the Evercoat overlaps from layer to layer. If I try to sand the edges it creates a "v" that has to be filled, which is a vicious circle.

I thought I'd use the spot putty to feather the edge, but it seems to create just as many edges.

If you spray primer over the area first it tends to show where you need the putty. It also gives you a contrasting colour so you can see the high and low areas. That way you know where to sand and where to fill. This is a short explanation of how this works and is the way spot putty is used in the body work business. I hope this helps your understanding, good luck and don't give up it comes easier with practice.

If you spray primer over the area first it tends to show where you need the putty. It also gives you a contrasting colour so you can see the high and low areas. That way you know where to sand and where to fill. This is a short explanation of how this works and is the way spot putty is used in the body work business. I hope this helps your understanding, good luck and don't give up it comes easier with practice.

Perfect example.

I use high build primer.

Always remember.... Bondo products are horrible. If you're having problems with the spot putty, switch to evercoat.

I use bondo when I don't feel like driving 10 miles to the nearest auto body supply store. Which is rare.

And place the putty on your knife first, then lay it down.

Yep, after sanding with 240 I hit it with some primer. That's how I spot the areas that need the spot putty. It's when I apply the spot putty that things go bad. Maybe my putty is just old and dried out, and it won't apply correctly. It seems to dry extremely fast, and when I smooth it on I get streaks and ridges, which need to be filled. Or if I try to sand those down I end up sanding through the primer coat, which makes low spots that need to be filled (more spot putty.....).

Perfect example.

I use high build primer.

Always remember.... Bondo products are horrible. If you're having problems with the spot putty, switch to evercoat.

I use bondo when I don't feel like driving 10 miles to the nearest auto body supply store. Which is rare.

And place the putty on your knife first, then lay it down.

Do you mean the Evercoat EverGlaze? I know Evercoat is a brand name, and they have just as many products as Bondo, so if you could be very specific it would really help. I know they have quite a few finishing products (two parts glazes, one part putty, etc....).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really want to learn how to do this right.

Also you could try skinning it by mixing the spot putty with a bit of acetone and brushing it in a light coat (or light coats) on the piece. Then wet sand it till its smooth. Hope that helps.

I found some stuff at the local auto parts house called Putty Cote. It's made by 3M, and looks similar to Evercoat Everglaze. It's a two part ultra smooth filler.

It's kind of expensive, at $26 a quart. But at this point, I'd pay the $26 to not have pinholes and edge lines.

Anybody use that stuff?

Re: Can anybody explain spot putty to me? I think I got it.

Ok, very excited. I think I've figured out the problem. Today I bought some Duplicolor filling sandable primer, and some 400 grit wet sandpaper.

The trick is to use a few coats of the filler primer, let that dry completely, then put the spot putty on, and let that dry completely. Then wet sand with the 400 grit. OMG. Smooth as a baby's arse.

I'm amazed at how well 400 grit wet paper cuts. I have to be really careful not so sand through several layers. Very light pressure with a foam sanding block, and it's done.

Man I wish I had known this a week ago. I'd have made so much more progress!!!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back