Page 1 of 35 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Mr Webber is offline Mr Webber
    Jun 10, 2012, 9:39 PM - Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #1

The post mortems have on the whole been fascinating but now I feel like im trapped in a Quincy loop. In a comfortable place with Prometheus now and looking ahead and forward to the sequel/sequels in years to come and the thoughts of other members about it/them.

If any members would like to share those thoughts on anything to do with future tellings please feel free to post them here, repeatedly if you must.

Just a heads up...this is not a thread for those who dont like or understand or even care about Prometheus, its for those who want to see more of them. A meeting will then be held in the phonebox at 55th and Madison. Just getting it in off the top.
    Last edited by Mr Webber; Sep 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM.
  2. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 10, 2012, 11:26 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #2

LOL. I'm on board.
  3. Mr Webber is offline Mr Webber
    Jun 10, 2012, 11:30 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #3

Good news, looks like we can squeeze a band in for the meeting.........

Speculating on a potential bridge between storylines, I keep thinking of a shot with the still under construction Nostromo in the background, just a quick reference and thats it, big on the Yutani thing at the minute, this is simplistic but a start. If a trilogy is planned, it might make sense to do a lot of stuff back on Earth before dealing with the more ethereal issues of creation in the finale.
    Jun 10, 2012, 11:37 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #4

I am curious how they plan to handle the story of Shaw and David. It'll be difficult to handle something so big with only two characters that the audience can empathize with.

As for your comment about the Nostromo, it wouldn't surprise me if that ship was actually older than Prometheus. That may be a way of explaining the technological differences. Prometheus was obviously top of the line, but everyone's making the assumption that Nostromo was a new(ish) ship in Alien, when there's no evidence to that effect.. the ship may be forty or fifty years old by the time we see it. I think a mention was made somewhere that Weyland Industries was already well into various mining operations all over explored space, before Prometheus.
  5. RPF Premium Member benhs1898's Avatar
    From
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    Jun 10, 2012, 11:42 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #5

Jedi2016 said: View Post
    I am curious how they plan to handle the story of Shaw and David. It'll be difficult to handle something so big with only two characters that the audience can empathize with.
    Even more difficult when one of those characters is
  6. Mr Webber is offline Mr Webber
    Jun 10, 2012, 11:48 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #6

The rest is there, she just has to fix it. 3PO style.

Your right Jedi, i get caught up with trying to line up dates without factoring in the age of the Nostromo at the time. Imagine being a writer and your brief was to pick the story up with Shaw and Davids departure......wow, where to start? massive canvas to fill.
  7. micdavis is offline micdavis
    Jun 11, 2012, 2:32 AM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #7

Will this one have an ending?
    From
    Chicago
    Jun 11, 2012, 2:56 AM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #8

I have a feeling that any future offerings will deviate further away from Alien and further into an original story without referencing the original franchise, save for maybe a certain distress signal that would get sent towards the end of the story.
    From
    The dictatorship of Denmark
    Jun 11, 2012, 6:11 AM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #9

Any future story will need to destroy everything on LV-233. Otherwise, Weyland company could just have sent new ships there, instead of searching the galaxy for other potential encounters.
  10. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 11, 2012, 6:32 AM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #10

Jedi2016 said: View Post
    Lindelof's recent quote - about Shaw's surmise regarding the Jockey's plans for Earth not necessarily being correct - gives me hope that we may yet meet sympathetic Jockeys. That would be nice.

Of course he also claims he and Scott actually did work out a backstory and really do know what is going on. Now the man is just fantasizing.

As for your comment about the Nostromo, it wouldn't surprise me if that ship was actually older than Prometheus. That may be a way of explaining the technological differences.
    Eh, I hope not. It's a trillion-buck science expedition, versus a tug. That explanation works fine for me. If Nostromo was built in the 2070s or 2080s, doesn't that pre-date the invention of FTL in this timeline? Not that I think they'll stick to any established timeline, but whatever. And it could always be a converted interplanetary tug, I guess.

Boogeyman13 said: View Post
    I have a feeling that any future offerings will deviate further away from Alien and further into an original story without referencing the original franchise, save for maybe a certain distress signal that would get sent towards the end of the story.
    I rather hope you are right. And I could live without the distress signal, too. Why can't that remain a completely unrelated incident? That would give us a bigger sandbox. I hate zero-degrees-of-separation universes.
  11. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 11, 2012, 6:35 AM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #11

TMG, no need to blow up LV 223. You could surmise just as easily that the location of this world was known only to the crew, or that a database accident loses it.

Shaw's signal gives the game away, though.
  12. Tholian Commander RPF Premium Member Jeyl's Avatar
    From
    Asheville, NC
    Jun 11, 2012, 8:03 AM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #12

Nwerke said: View Post
    TMG, no need to blow up LV 223. You could surmise just as easily that the location of this world was known only to the crew, or that a database accident loses it.
    Yeah. Most trillion dollar expeditions don't leave any records as to where their funds were going or where the ship was headed. And most scientists never ever publish their findings about their discoveries that were found on Earth. No. Let's keep it all a secret, go to that mysterious place where the origin of all human life might be, and hope to god nothing goes wrong because if it does, nobody back home will have any clue as to what we were doing in the first place.

The more we try to figure this movie out, the more stupid it gets.
    Last edited by Jeyl; Jun 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM.
  13. Mr Webber is offline Mr Webber
    Jun 11, 2012, 9:40 AM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #13

Id be OK with the stories, thats right hope theres a hole mess of em, stay away from the Alien universe, just toss a few bones for old time sake.
  14. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 11, 2012, 9:43 AM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #14

Jeyl, if I was Weyland, those are exactly my conditions for funding Shaw and Holloway. Because I'm barking mad.

Seriously, that sounds exactly par for the course for decisionmaking standards in this movie.
  15. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Jun 11, 2012, 9:44 AM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #15

Jeyl, if I was Weyland, those are exactly my conditions for funding Shaw and Holloway. Because I'm barking mad.

Seriously, that sounds exactly par for the course for decisionmaking standards in this movie.

Oh gawd not these double posts again...did we ever get a clue what's causing this?
  16. rodneyfaile is offline rodneyfaile
    Jun 11, 2012, 12:02 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #16

What makes Shaw think she can find the space jockey home planet? Plug David's head into the ships computer?

Will a space jockey hyper sleep chamber work on a human?
  17. rodneyfaile is offline rodneyfaile
    Jun 11, 2012, 12:11 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #17

Something has to happen to LV 223. It would explain why in Alien, the company has instructed Ash to get the lifeform no matter what. Something happens to LV 223 and this unknown wreckage on LV 426 that has gone unnoticed might be all that is left of the space-jockey-black-goo-creatures.
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Jun 11, 2012, 12:30 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #18

rodneyfaile said: View Post
    What makes Shaw think she can find the space jockey home planet? Plug David's head into the ships computer?

Will a space jockey hyper sleep chamber work on a human?
    For that matter, wouldn't David be able to access their technology/computer system for answers as to why they want to wipe us out and thus save her the trip?
    From
    Scotland
    Jun 11, 2012, 1:43 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #19

Ok, just throwing this out there. If the Space Jockeys created life on Earth, then there's nothing against the idea of them creating life on other worlds in the same manner, and see what evolution brings from their DNA. Perhaps this could be a thread in the follow up??
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Jun 11, 2012, 3:07 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #20

I think that goes without saying. I'm rather looking forward to exploring this further.
    From
    Scotland
    Jun 11, 2012, 4:26 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #21

Perhaps the reason for our destruction, is we were the poorer or less evolved race amongst all of the different planets?!?! Or perhaps we are just one of several experiments that has came to the end of the road.
    Or, and here is a long shot, prey like the aliens were for the predators?

All in all, if this is possible, it will mean, more cool alien races and more questions!!
    From
    The dictatorship of Denmark
    Jun 11, 2012, 4:37 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #22

If the black goop wasn't used for extermination, but for accelerated evolution, then David's interpretation of the jockeys going to Earth to exterminate us was wrong, based on his own desires to destroy his creators, or he just said that, as that was what he wanted the people to believe, so they'd be acting aggressive when confronting the jockey, thinking it wanted to kill them, instead of just evolving the experiment.

Through any apocalypse comes renewal. Like a purging fire giving rise to new life. The downfall of dinosaur rule gave way for mammals to become dominant and thus, allowing humans to evolve. Humans having several simian "cousins"... we are only one of several possibilities... we have kindness as well as cruelty within us... what if we had evolved from something similar to bonobos, rather than something similar to chimpanzees. Might have presented a wholly different kind of human being that was less malicious. And the Jockeys just felt we'd run our course in evolution and wanted to give the spot to another round of evolution to see if something better could evolve. Maybe they are looking for the perfect creation - devoid of evil and selfishness (all the bad parts of themselves as well).

The eggs bring destruction, the goop brings accelerated evolution.

So... David is really mean.
    Last edited by Too Much Garlic; Jun 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM.
    Jun 11, 2012, 4:53 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #23

micdavis said: View Post
    Will this one have an ending?
    I would settle for them starting to shoot the film and finishing it with the same script they started with.
    Jun 11, 2012, 4:55 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #24

Jeyl said: View Post
    Yeah. Most trillion dollar expeditions don't leave any records as to where their funds were going or where the ship was headed. And most scientists never ever publish their findings about their discoveries that were found on Earth. No. Let's keep it all a secret, go to that mysterious place where the origin of all human life might be, and hope to god nothing goes wrong because if it does, nobody back home will have any clue as to what we were doing in the first place.

The more we try to figure this movie out, the more stupid it gets.
    The explanation to that all was in script revision #26 and was left on the cutting room floor.
    From
    Danville KY
    Jun 11, 2012, 6:21 PM - re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel) #25

Shaw and David go to the Engineers home world. They get their collective asses kicked. The Engineers are now really pissed that their offspring made it to their homeworld. Now thay are again dead set on destroying humanity. They send out another ship to LV 223 to collect some black goo and send it to Earth. Little does this lone Engineer know is that there is black goo and a hugger of some sort that Shaw and David brought with them unknowingly. The Engineer is attacked, impregnated and dies. The ship crash lands on LV 426. The new ALIEN mates with Shaw and lays eggs. Before Shaw dies, she sends out a warning signal.

Eh, the best I could do in five minutes of thinking about it....