Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel)

Re: Alien: Paradise Lost (Prometheus Sequel)

There was a very specific, ahem, financial reason "Alien" was not in the title of the first one - sounds like those issues have been resolved.

Hoookay, Ridley Scott has officially lost his mind, I guess. Got into the wine cellar and decided that these are Alien movies after all. Someone should have the nurse bring him a blanket and tell him it's time for his nappy.

Dan O'Bannon is rolling in his grave. Granted it wouldn't take much but this is getting nutty.

I can't get over this. We're stomping Neill Blomkamp's ALIENS sequel into the dirt for this? The guy is in a James Cameron mood set where he clearly wants to do something with this franchise that he's very passionate about while Scott is wondering around not sure what he wants.

IMO Bloomkamp goes in a direction that the franchise's existing fans like better.

Scott's direction could be much more interesting with the right development. It could send the franchise into a different genre. But Prometheus is a classic case of Older-Genius-Art: it's absolutely amazing in some ways but it's infuriatingly inconsistent.

Do we want to see this older classic rock band playing some new stuff?

Or would we rather watch a skilled young tribute band covering their early hits?

I wouldn't mind seeing two Alien films in the same year, not even a little.

I can't get over this. We're stomping Neill Blomkamp's ALIENS sequel into the dirt for this? The guy is in a James Cameron mood set where he clearly wants to do something with this franchise that he's very passionate about while Scott is wondering around not sure what he wants.

Also, it's an Aliens sequel with Michael frakking Biehn!! :cool

Do we want to see this older classic rock band playing some new stuff?

Or would we rather watch a skilled young tribute band covering their early hits?

As an Aliens fan, yes. I am very tempted to see where Neill will take the franchise. But the whole "skilled young tribute band covering their early hits" is exactly what ALIEN3 was all about. Bringing the franchise back to it's single monster, no guns, sole survivor roots coupled with a very young director and an actress who thought the best way to end a series is to kill everyone we cared about off. It wasn't good. Prometheus was less of a older rock band coming together to do new stuff and more of one of the performers taking what the band made and doing his own thing with it. That also didn't work out too well either. I mean, how big is your vision when all the writers who brought us Prometheus in the first place aren't even coming back for it's sequel?

Scott's direction could be much more interesting with the right development. It could send the franchise into a different genre. But Prometheus is a classic case of Older-Genius-Art: it's absolutely amazing in some ways but it's infuriatingly inconsistent.

George Miller did a much better job at the whole "old band getting together" AND "Older-Genius-Art" with Mad Max: Fury Road. Even with questionable ties to continuity, I can't think of anyone coming out of that film calling it an infuriatingly inconsistent mess. And look at that! Both films feature Charlize Theron. And I love making this comparison. *clears throat* In Prometheus, Charlize Theron's character is incapable of veering from a straight line even if it meant saving her life, where as her Mad Max character sets the movie into high gear when she literally veers off a straight road.

If Lindelhof isn't writing this one, there is a fighting chance that it may not suck. But honestly, I don't care. Scott really poisoned the well for me with the last film, so any subsequent films will be treated with the same degree of reverence that I reserve for, like, the first AVP film.

If Lindelhof isn't writing this one, there is a fighting chance that it may not suck. But honestly, I don't care. Scott really poisoned the well for me with the last film, so any subsequent films will be treated with the same degree of reverence that I reserve for, like, the first AVP film.

Amen to that. As I have said numerous times before, Lindeloff is a hack writer who's been behind some of the most controversial films (amongst fans) of the past 10 years. He was behind LOST, the first JJ Trek, and Prometheus; none of these are universally loved and all have faced considerable criticism amongst fans. So, yeah, if Linedloff isn't writing the Prometheus sequel, then that's a good thing, a very good thing.

ALIEN, and ALIENS fundamentally are really slasher movies in a haunted house, more so ALIEN of course.There isn't supposed to be all this origins of man crap or what does it all mean nonsense.

ALIEN, and ALIENS fundamentally are really slasher movies in a haunted house, more so ALIEN of course.There isn't supposed to be all this origins of man crap or what does it all mean nonsense.

Alien is a "spam in a can" monster movie. Aliens is really more like a war movie of sorts. They're pretty different.

HOWEVER, I tend to agree that the whole "Oh the engineers created life on earth by...uh...giving a big middle finger to...um...some other engineers, I think, maybe, and then having a drink and dissolving into water, which turned into ALL LIFE ON EARTH. Or something. Then they wanted to kill us. Also, they made big bio bombs and...ummm.....oh, hell. None of this crap makes a lick of sense anyway. LOOK! ALIENS! COOL, HUH?! DON'T LET 'EM EAT YOU!"

3 more movies seems a bit excessive, stretching it out.

I still like Prometheus as a film, just not so much as an ALIEN film.

This is my thought exactly on the film.

I just rewatched the film today, and I actually enjoyed certain parts of it. If you go into it pretending it isn't connected to the alien universe, it isn't half bad.. the alien at the end just felt tacked on honestly.
I also feel however, like they built a lot of concepts up phenomenally, then just let it fall flat towards the end.

Maybe if they get a good writing team on it (FU Lindelhof) they can expand on some of the better ideas and make a not terrible film.... Can they make THREE not terrible films? I doubt it.

Last edited:

Alien is a "spam in a can" monster movie. Aliens is really more like a war movie of sorts. They're pretty different.

HOWEVER, I tend to agree that the whole "Oh the engineers created life on earth by...uh...giving a big middle finger to...um...some other engineers, I think, maybe, and then having a drink and dissolving into water, which turned into ALL LIFE ON EARTH. Or something. Then they wanted to kill us. Also, they made big bio bombs and...ummm.....oh, hell. None of this crap makes a lick of sense anyway. LOOK! ALIENS! COOL, HUH?! DON'T LET 'EM EAT YOU!"

I know ALIENS has marines in it and war hardware. But how much war do they really do? weapons are taken away immediately, and it's back to the entire planet really as the haunted house and people;picked off one by one. Yes tons of action but I really think the two films are fundamentally people stalked and taken one by one. The silent intelligent monster pretty much is the slasher role. The Giger brilliance created the alien strangeness. The films are a bit of mashup and hybrid but fundamentally they need to stick to that.

I know ALIENS has marines in it and war hardware. But how much war do they really do? weapons are taken away immediately, and it's back to the entire planet really as the haunted house and people;picked off one by one. Yes tons of action but I really think the two films are fundamentally people stalked and taken one by one. The silent intelligent monster pretty much is the slasher role. The Giger brilliance created the alien strangeness. The films are a bit of mashup and hybrid but fundamentally they need to stick to that.

ALIENS is less stalked and taken one by one. You have the squad get cut down in larger numbers, like, 3-4 at a time. There's the initial attack when, like, half the squad gets taken. Then you have the standoff in the lab when Hudson, Vasquez, Gorman, and Burke get taken. After that, pretty much everyone survives in one form or another.

My point about the war film thing, though, is twofold. First, the marines actually put up a halfway decent defense and fight off the enemy force after the initial ambush. Second, a HUGE part of the film is focused on Ripley's PTSD, basically. She goes back to exorcise the demons, both figuratively and literally (if you substitute "xenomorphs" for "demons"). She's completely unable to integrate back into society, either, and comes home from her first tour to a life she can no longer life (her daughter died, too). In that respect, I think the film is much more of a war movie. It's the story of Ripley's war against the aliens.

IMO Bloomkamp goes in a direction that the franchise's existing fans like better.

After Elysium and Chappie I don't hold out much hope for hime doing anything for this franchise other than maybe some cool mechs and weapons.

As a fellow Swede I am curious what did you Americans think of Noomi Rapace in Prometheus?? :)

AvP? Different franchise altogether :p

ALIENS is less stalked and taken one by one. You have the squad get cut down in larger numbers, like, 3-4 at a time. There's the initial attack when, like, half the squad gets taken. Then you have the standoff in the lab when Hudson, Vasquez, Gorman, and Burke get taken. After that, pretty much everyone survives in one form or another.

My point about the war film thing, though, is twofold. First, the marines actually put up a halfway decent defense and fight off the enemy force after the initial ambush. Second, a HUGE part of the film is focused on Ripley's PTSD, basically. She goes back to exorcise the demons, both figuratively and literally (if you substitute "xenomorphs" for "demons"). She's completely unable to integrate back into society, either, and comes home from her first tour to a life she can no longer life (her daughter died, too). In that respect, I think the film is much more of a war movie. It's the story of Ripley's war against the aliens.

Not to mention all of Cameron's "it's 'nam in space" references basically. Apache as a dropship, the entire Sulaco looks like one giant gun :p

As a fellow Swede I am curious what did you Americans think of Noomi Rapace in Prometheus?? :)

AvP? Different franchise altogether :p

Not to mention all of Cameron's "it's 'nam in space" references basically. Apache as a dropship, the entire Sulaco looks like one giant gun :p

I thought Rapace was terrific, even in the potentially absurd self surgery sequence, she really sold it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back