Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel)

Re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel)

According to the "Art of" book, Guy Pearce was cast so that he could appear as his correct "young" age, when David was communicating with him through his dreams in hypersleep.

Since we never saw those scenes, all that's left is "old-age" Weyland.

According to one of the links they never even shot the scenes. They really should have recast once that decision was made. The makeup is one of the real letdowns.

Numbers look gooood.

They do, right now. Box Office Mojo calls the opening an unqualified success (a record for the franchise, and the second-biggest opening for SRS himself), but the dropoff has been sharp and if WOM doesn't result in good sales then the overall success of the film is still very much in question. It could come down to how frustrated the average cinemagoer is - I think we pretty much ALL find the film frustrating! :lol But not everyone is also finding it rewarding enough too to make up for that.

Well that settles it, I'm on board for a sequel :love

Yeah, fingers crossed. I liked Rapace and Fassbender a ton and I really want to see where their story goes. Lindelof being out of the picture might allow for some more of the questions to actually get answers. :lol

I'd watch a sequel if it helped cover some of the gaping plot holes left by the first film. I'd WORSHIP the sequel if they threw in more teasers on xenomorphs, heck throw in easter eggs for Predator species too, and if they had a narrative that actually makes sense without having to set up a support group to discuss ideas.

I don't mind pushing along a storyline that veers away from the Alien movies, but you still need to tie it all together in a shared universe and keep some of the Alien fans happy.

Actually... the only tie-in needed for ALIEN has already been shown with the space jockeys and the derelict type ships. We now know they are out there... so really no more need for anything related to ALIEN in the following film(s).

Actually... the only tie-in needed for ALIEN has already been shown with the space jockeys and the derelict type ships. We now know they are out there... so really no more need for anything related to ALIEN in the following film(s).

I disagree. There is a clear connection, even discounting the poorly executed and awkward final chest burster scene, to ALIEN in this movie that need to be explored. The Engineers are manipulating life and creating a pattern of destruction creation that at some point involves this parasitic relationship of host/new life. In ALIEN, on LV-426, the Nostromo crew becomes part of that cycle. So I think pulling that together in a seuel or two is a great direction for part of the story. Clearly Ridley wants to tell that story as well as Shaw's journey to discover the truth. He's pretty much said as much in interviews, so it's not a stretch.

It's not needed. ALIEN has been set up by what we saw in Prometheus. Ridley really doesn't need to go down that path anymore. In fact... he went down too far in the first one and could have saved all that for a subsequent movie, instead of cramping it in... just to have it in there for no real reason.

What Garlic is saying is that we don't necessarily need to see the exact link. I don't want to see the derelict crash, and I don't want to see Nostromo being launched. That type of "you already know how it ends" prequel is exactly what they were trying to avoid with this film, and I don't see them suddenly reversing that decision later on.

Right and agreed. They don't need more... though, I wouldn't mind seeing the familiar versions done by Ridley in that way he showed them in ALIEN - weird and mysterious.

What Garlic is saying is that we don't necessarily need to see the exact link. I don't want to see the derelict crash, and I don't want to see Nostromo being launched. That type of "you already know how it ends" prequel is exactly what they were trying to avoid with this film, and I don't see them suddenly reversing that decision later on.

Yes, they made that decision with this film. However I feel that in order to get this film and the sequels, 20th Century Fox WANT their ALIEN prequel. And I think a great many fans, myself included, would welcome that as well as continuation of the new plot line.

Put me in the camp that the last scene of Prometheus was totally unnecessary. But, if that was the first proto "Queen" xenomorph....and it certainly seems that way from the design they went with then it's awfully interesting that the Alien species we all have known since 1979 was likely 33% created from a barren human female.

There is certainly a gap that would need to be filled to bridge Prometheus to Alien. I'm not sure if I want to see those lines colored in. Nor am I convinced I want to see the madcap adventures of Shaw & The Head of David.

but, we'll get one of those for sure. :)

I think we pretty much ALL find the film frustrating!

No, we don't. Many people are loving the film and find nothing frustrating about it.

Put me in the camp that the last scene of Prometheus was totally unnecessary. But, if that was the first proto "Queen" xenomorph....and it certainly seems that way from the design they went with then it's awfully interesting that the Alien species we all have known since 1979 was likely 33% created from a barren human female.

I think it's a mistake to try and make a direct connection between Prometheus and Alien. I get the feeling that people want Prometheus to be directly connected to Alien so badly they are overlooking the ideas presented in the film.

The creature at the end is NOT the first xenomorph. It has no connection to the creatures in Alien. It's a suggestion. It's simply suggesting that the genetic weapons material is capable of creating these kinds of creatures, and these kinds of parasitic host/burster DNA based life forms. That's what it does. The black goo breaks down and rebuilds, rewrites, repurposes if you will, DNA.

When we're watching Prometheus, the derilict ship on LV-426 is already there. The eggs are already there waiting for Kane. Whatever happened to that ship, and that crew already went down and that particular creature (the facehugger) is there sitting in eggs with a blue haze above them.

There is certainly a gap that would need to be filled to bridge Prometheus to Alien. I'm not sure if I want to see those lines colored in. Nor am I convinced I want to see the madcap adventures of Shaw & The Head of David.

I don't think that is what we'll see in the sequel. No gap filling between these films is intended.

There is also the possibility that someone else may take up the challenge of continuing this story or be given that challenge by Fox, who have been proven to REALLY like this franchise, Jim Cameron style. This could also take the story in another direction all together while leaving some bread crumbs achieved so brilliantly in Aliens.

In theory SRS has two movies ahead of a Prometeus expansion, this would take him into his 80`s as well, do Fox want to wait another five years to visit this again? If the box office at the end of the day justifies it, i think they will want to move much quicker. What do people think of Cameron in the chair if Scott is unavailable? Nolans free soon isnt he?

When we're watching Prometheus, the derilict ship on LV-426 is already there. The eggs are already there waiting for Kane. Whatever happened to that ship, and that crew already went down and that particular creature (the facehugger) is there sitting in eggs with a blue haze above them.

I don't think that is what we'll see in the sequel. No gap filling between these films is intended.

For the first part - While that is certainly possible, what makes you certain of that?

For the 2nd part - I agree, no gap filling is intended. That doesn't mean they won't do it.

I've always been under the impression that the derelict on LV-426 had been there a long time.. I mean a long time.

Consider that everything on LV-226 looked in fairly good condition, including the suits and the cockpit/pilot station. All of that had been completely untouched for two thousand years. Even the dead Engineer (again, two thousand years dead) didn't look as far gone as the derelict's pilot.

That's always been my personal take on it. That would also (possibly) explain the difference in the look and feel of the two Engineer ships.. the one in Prometheus looking to be the more "advanced" version of the same style.

Yeah, I have read before from Scott that the derelict in Alien is very old. In the art of Prometheus book, he mentions 3000 years old. But even before I read the book, I knew after I saw the film, that they were not giving us any kind of direct connection to Alien. This is why they struggled to describe it as a prequel.

I know that Lindelof has mentioned that Prometheus has 2 children, and one is Alien, and I think people are wholly misunderstanding that statement.

I've always been under the impression that the derelict on LV-426 had been there a long time.. I mean a long time.

Consider that everything on LV-226 looked in fairly good condition, including the suits and the cockpit/pilot station. All of that had been completely untouched for two thousand years. Even the dead Engineer (again, two thousand years dead) didn't look as far gone as the derelict's pilot.

That's always been my personal take on it. That would also (possibly) explain the difference in the look and feel of the two Engineer ships.. the one in Prometheus looking to be the more "advanced" version of the same style.

Maybe the Derelict on LV-426 crashed there after the first mishap that the engineers had. It could have been there the whole time

I know i'm randomly entering this thread but I read on a website I posted in the crazy Prometheus thread earlier that Scott is wanting to do the sequel and name it Paradise. For all the secret religious purposes we have noticed in Prometheus. He said that he thinks that naming it Paradise will make people think of heaven but after the events the Dr. Shaw has been through it will make the audience think oh ****... this is gonna get bad... I am very interested to see a sequel because I would like to know wth Shaw and David are gonna do and what the find and what "the deacon" has to do with everything...

They really should have recast once that decision was made. The makeup is one of the real letdowns.

Having now looked through the art book and some online stuff, I'm really puzzled over this. Lit blue, the makeup looks fine. Lit yellow, not so much. Was this a grading issue? What the heck happened here?

I'd watch a sequel if it helped cover some of the gaping plot holes left by the first film. I'd WORSHIP the sequel if they threw in more teasers on xenomorphs, heck throw in easter eggs for Predator species too,

I'd actively be offended by that film, and would avoid it. To each his own.

and if they had a narrative that actually makes sense without having to set up a support group to discuss ideas.

Can't argue there. :lol

I don't mind pushing along a storyline that veers away from the Alien movies, but you still need to tie it all together in a shared universe and keep some of the Alien fans happy.

Why? The movie is going after the mass market, not niche markets. Sure, it's leveraging off an existing brand to a degree but ask the 25yos in your office how much they love Aliens. Most of 'em will give you a blank look for the most part - they weren't born when it came out.

SO agree!

No, we don't. Many people are loving the film and find nothing frustrating about it.

I'm pleased for you! I'm with Jay from Red Letter Media: I want to like this film more than it really deserves. I do like it, though, despite my complaints. I'm not having to force that either. If we get a longer cut that ties itself together better, I could love it.

I think it's a mistake to try and make a direct connection between Prometheus and Alien. I get the feeling that people want Prometheus to be directly connected to Alien so badly they are overlooking the ideas presented in the film.

I think you're completely correct with that.

I hope you are completely correct with that.

He said that he thinks that naming it Paradise will make people think of heaven but after the events the Dr. Shaw has been through it will make the audience think oh ****... this is gonna get bad... I am very interested to see a sequel because I would like to know wth Shaw and David are gonna do and what the find and what "the deacon" has to do with everything...

We could guess that "Paradise" will prove to be black humour referring to the Jockey homeworld, and that it is a kind of dismal place from a human perspective...

I don't think we will see the Deacon again. At least, I hope not! As the guys said above, it's just a nod...with any luck.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back