Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel)

Re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel)

I agree with Garlic.. they need to stay away from the already-established aliens and facehuggers and such as much as they can. I think they pushed way too close to that at the end of Prometheus, and I'm hoping that's all it is.. merely show that the aliens we know and love are Engineer creations (done), and call it quits. Move on to something else. Ridley said it himself, he's opened the door to a whole new direction for the franchise, he should stay on that path instead of returning to the one that's already been tread so many times.

Incidentally, I did notice the conversation between Ellie and her father:

Ellie: "Where do they go [when they die]?"
Father: "Everyone has their own word. Heaven. Paradise. Whatever it's called, it's someplace beautiful."

That word stuck out at me on a repeat viewing after hearing about the original title and potential title for the sequel. Not an accident that it's in the script, methinks.

I agree with Garlic.. they need to stay away from the already-established aliens and facehuggers and such as much as they can. I think they pushed way too close to that at the end of Prometheus, and I'm hoping that's all it is.. merely show that the aliens we know and love are Engineer creations (done), and call it quits. Move on to something else. Ridley said it himself, he's opened the door to a whole new direction for the franchise, he should stay on that path instead of returning to the one that's already been tread so many times.

Incidentally, I did notice the conversation between Ellie and her father:

Ellie: "Where do they go [when they die]?"
Father: "Everyone has their own word. Heaven. Paradise. Whatever it's called, it's someplace beautiful."

That word stuck out at me on a repeat viewing after hearing about the original title and potential title for the sequel. Not an accident that it's in the script, methinks.

I cant take credit for the thread title change, someone else did that, but from what ive read so far and a second viewing like yourself, it looks certain thats the working title for the next one and SRS has made reference to Paradise Lost.

In all the madness there is beauty. In all the death and destruction there is creation. In all the horror there is a view of something better.

Are we a weapon? Are we a creation created by a dying race or a race trying to perfect itself or trying to create perfection? Are we a fluke or are we a success? Have our original purpose changed?

It would be interesting to see the space jockey homeworld. Is it paradise or is it barren and dying? Will Shaw and David even be allowed to land or even approach the system? Will they be greeted openly and kindly or will they suffer the wrath of the jockeys. Are they more like us than they care to admit... or are they more in control of their evil sides, becoming nothing but objective observers based on logical and cold calculation - soulless.

What are they.

Ridley said it himself, he's opened the door to a whole new direction for the franchise, he should stay on that path instead of returning to the one that's already been tread so many times.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes!!!

Just saw it last night, and while I must agree with many other of the film's detractors that the logical flaws threaded throughout the movie make some of the ideas about the engineers and their motives laughable (not to mention the outright stupidity of the human "scientists" on the expedition), I did find the movie very entertaining, and would be very interested if Scott does another. In my opinion, he has a lot of gaping holes in the logic behind the story to fill, but I cannot deny that the appeal is still there.

Better than a lot of other crap films being produced these days.

I'm curious if Shaw might be undergoing some form of low level transformation from the pregnancy that becomes more apparent.
I never particularly had a problem with her speedy recovery from the C-section, within the convention of sci-fi with some established hi-tech equipment it's not really an issue (peoples ambivalent reactions is an issue, imo).
But what if part of her speedy recovery was due to a fundamental change in her dna? I mean she seemed to have had her ability to conceive modified, so it's quite feasible there are other changes under the hood, so to speak.

Something else I'm wondering if there's more behind:

e1.jpg

I can't be absolutely sure but it does appear as though the Engineer has no nipples?
Is this a design choice or does it suggest something more about the Engineer race (they were engineered)? Aren't male nipples a legacy of our original embryonic template that's essentially female? I'm not even 100% sure they have a belly button going on.

Having just found out that the scenery behind Wayland in his pre recorded speech to the Prometheus crew is his HQ on Mars under construction, the possibility of him popping up in the next movie came to mind as a flashback or something similar. The whole Ted promotion thing might just be a taste of something more than a lead up campaign and could even involve Vickers return as well as David in the same scenerio.

Itching to see the whole Yutani thing as well if SRS runs with it, who is this person that their company becomes partners with a company that has a HQ on Mars the size of a city? Guessing they make weapons etc as Waylands people are carrying rubbish.

I'm curious if Shaw might be undergoing some form of low level transformation from the pregnancy that becomes more apparent.
I never particularly had a problem with her speedy recovery from the C-section, within the convention of sci-fi with some established hi-tech equipment it's not really an issue (peoples ambivalent reactions is an issue, imo).
But what if part of her speedy recovery was due to a fundamental change in her dna? I mean she seemed to have had her ability to conceive modified, so it's quite feasible there are other changes under the hood, so to speak.

Something else I'm wondering if there's more behind:

e1.jpg

I can't be absolutely sure but it does appear as though the Engineer has no nipples?
Is this a design choice or does it suggest something more about the Engineer race (they were engineered)? Aren't male nipples a legacy of our original embryonic template that's essentially female? I'm not even 100% sure they have a belly button going on.

Which leads to the question, do they have genitals? Now thats a game changer.

That would certanly make me feel better about Shaws post surgery abilities.

I think it is 100% certain we will see young Weyland in the sequel. Why on Earth hire Guy Pierce to play the roll only to cover him up in dodgy old man make up if not to have the actor available to play his younger self? Certainly not for the viral video campaign alone.

Scott is very interested in returning for the sequel and so is Lindelof, but Lindelof believes a new writer should step in. "It could actually benefit going into someone else's able hand," he said.

Well that settles it, I'm on board for a sequel :love

We also only saw male jockeys.

And when discussing the jockey in ALIEN before Prometheus, I always believed he was engineered to be fused with the ship - a living bio-mechanical being, completely without existence outside of the ship, like the pilot in Farscape. So... the jockey in ALIEN may not even be the same as those in Prometheus using suits.

If Lindelof is out, then I'm in for a sequel. The guy is clearly good at coming up with ideas, but lousy to bring them to a conclusion. He should stick with being an idea-man and leave other, more skilled writers to write the scripts.

According to the "Art of" book, Guy Pearce was cast so that he could appear as his correct "young" age, when David was communicating with him through his dreams in hypersleep.

Since we never saw those scenes, all that's left is "old-age" Weyland.

I think it is 100% certain we will see young Weyland in the sequel. Why on Earth hire Guy Pierce to play the roll only to cover him up in dodgy old man make up if not to have the actor available to play his younger self? Certainly not for the viral video campaign alone.

Yeah. Most trillion dollar expeditions don't leave any records as to where their funds were going or where the ship was headed. And most scientists never ever publish their findings about their discoveries that were found on Earth. No. Let's keep it all a secret, go to that mysterious place where the origin of all human life might be, and hope to god nothing goes wrong because if it does, nobody back home will have any clue as to what we were doing in the first place.

The more we try to figure this movie out, the more stupid it gets.

It could easily have been something of a black project with only a select handful in the know and at least 2 of them were aboard the Prometheus and died on LV223. Also given that this was a personal pet projects of Weyland's and Vickers was also in the know who's there to really question where the money went if the #1 & #2 (presumably) are fine with all of this money going in to the Prometheus. It's also possible that since the Prometheus project cost them their #1 & #2 in the company, the crew, and the scientists, and not to mention money in the form of the Prometheus herself they could easily decide that a follow on mission would be too risky and a potential public relations nightmare.

As for scientists keeping their discoveries secret, that's par for course in the scientific community, at least until they've had a chance to fully analyze their findings and then publish in a scientific journal. Until they've had a chance to do that the public and even the scientific community doesn't know anything about any new discoveries, friends and colleagues may have an idea of what somebody may be working on that doesn't mean they'd be privy to all or any of the details. This is usually done over the course of years and is done so that when they do eventually go public they can be certain that they've come to the right conclusion and since these publications also mean (further) funding there's also an interest in keeping it secret so that someone can't take their idea/research and beat them to the punch by doing their own research on the exact same subject and publish before them.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back