Dredd movie helmet WIP (Stallone version)

Nobby

Sr Member
Hi Guys,

Here I'm going to be documenting my Judge Dredd (Stallone movie version) helmet build/paint. Got this one here from Pannaus Props

Forgot to get a pic of the raw cast, so the first pic here is of the lid trimmed, filled and sanded ready for primer.
20120607_105614.jpg

Now primed and wet sanded:
20120608_083059.jpg

First coat of blue:
20120610_123256.jpg

20120610_123316.jpg

The blue is not quite as light as the pics make out, but I think that I may end up going a little darker.

Not sure when I'm going to get more time for this, but I want to do this paint job properly and not rush things.
:)

Last edited:
So, I found a much better blue:

20120613_113417.jpg

For the badge, I had originally intended to use a gold chrome paint, but after seeing Pannaus' chroming, I realised I needed something better.
Not having immediate access to chroming facilities, I decided to have a go at using gold leaf:

20120613_110955.jpg

Will update as soon as the leafing is done :)

The red on the helmet will hopefully be started next week, when the blue has fully hardened.

Looking good...what do you use for the visor?

I got a pre-shaped visor with the kit from Pannaus.
I've applied some spray on tint and will show it very soon :)

But I think I need to admit to myself that gold-leafing is a skill I have yet to master!
20120613_120643.jpg

Back to the gold-chrome paint idea methinks.............

Rub n' buff gold leaf would work well on that badge or you could use Tamiya TS-21 gold spray paint. The Tamiya has a nice reflective quality to it that I used on my Dredd.

I got a pre-shaped visor with the kit from Pannaus.
I've applied some spray on tint and will show it very soon :)

But I think I need to admit to myself that gold-leafing is a skill I have yet to master!
20120613_120643.jpg

Back to the gold-chrome paint idea methinks.............

Masked up and ready for the red:

20120619_123121.jpg

I realise that the colour in pics tends to look different in real life (especially when the pic is taken in direct sunlight!), but I'm not 100% convinced by my choice of red:

20120619_123520.jpg

I'll give it another coat later and re-assess

Looking great mate. Dont worry to much if the colour is slightly lighter, if you plan on getting it lacquered it tends to darken the colours a little. If you do decide you want to change the red for a darker one, BMW Zinnobar red from halfords is a great colour for Dredd.

Cant wait to see it with the tape off!!!

Ok, I've removed the tape!!!!

And...........................................

It actually looks better with all the paint showing together :)
There are a couple of very minor areas where the paint has bled slightly, but I'm going to leave it now for a good few days and then wet sand/tidy up before lacquering

20120619_142815.jpg

In the meantime, I've got the visor to finish............................. :)

Just finished the visor:

20120621_124122.jpg

This came pre-cut and shaped from Pannaus.
I masked off the lower edge then sprayed on loads of layers of automotive tinting spray.
I had originally intended to use frosting spray on the lower edge, but because the tiniting bled through the tape I had to use sandpaper to remove the excess. Having done this, I continued with the sandpaper to complete the 'frosted' effect.

Last edited:
So, I've just got to finish painting the badge, wet sand the helmet before applying lacquer then assemble it all................. :)

i have to say, gold spray paint actually works fine for getting a golden look. if you check my power ranger build,i used the cheapest golden paint, and (to my surprise) it worked really well.

here's the badge:

20120621_154432.jpg

The colour looks a little flat in the pic, but it's much shinier in the flesh (and the badge has got a bit of fluff on it, which I missed when I took the pic!)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back