SS TIE Fighter: Buildup of Nice-N Models Hero Kit

imaginager

Sr Member
Now For Sale here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=70614

Well, I've posted a few pics of the build in a couple of other threads - but figured that the time has come to start a new thread, as I'm making real progress, now.

This is an SS TIE Hero kit by Nice-N' Models. I decided to go with the ESB look for the build, to be a little different. It still needs to be shot with dull coat, but I'm waiting to complete the wings so I can do that step all at once.

Initially, I was simply going to build this static w/o electronics of any kind. But, Radio Shack got the better of me and I decided to add 4 LEDs; 2 for the tail and 2 to illuminate the pilot. I should also mention that REL pointed me to these panavise mounts. Very schnazzy, thanks REL! :)

aft.jpg

aftlit.jpg

aftlit1.jpg

Real Airfix Harrier pilot. EDIT: Steve the Swede - I replaced that Falcon engine thruster!

cpit.jpg

pilot.jpg

nose.jpg

For now, the LEDs are powered by a battery, with a small on/off switch located inside the cockpit ball. When complete I'll replace the battery power source with a voltage adapter so I can plug it into a wall outlet. The aft engine port or hatch cover (some say it's a window, others that it's the engine...I think the LEDs are supposed to be the engines) attaches to the cockpit ball with 2 small magnets:

aftopen.jpg

There are still a couple of parts to be added around the cockpit frame. Otherwise, all that's left to do are the wings. Since ESB wings are slightly larger, I needed to create custom templates for each section of Koolshade. Here they are laid out and being cut and the finished stack of 12 sections. It took about 2 hours to make the templates and cut the material. At $125 per yard, cutting these was a little nerve-racking. I was able to photograph the TIE on display at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry last Friday. My pics reveal that the light reflects a certain way, based on the angle of the louvers. If you're wondering why I laid my templates out the way I did, it's so that the finished wings will reflect light consistent to the filming models.

kshade.jpg

kshade1.jpg

sections.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully, I'll have more progress to post on the wings next week.

Allan

Last edited:
As Borat says... wa wa wee wah.

Cool pics Allan. You nailed the color of the ESB TIE. And boy, do I remember how nerve wracking it was to cut my Koolshade, as well as determine the correct direction of the louvres to match the studio models (luckily I saw some hi-res pics of the TIE from MOM that had great closeups of the wings to see the angles.)

Now if I could only get the TIE pilot I ordered a month and a half ago to seal up the cockpit of the second SS TIE I am building up (I cored the hull myself) I might consider doing the ESB color.

Did it drive you a little nuts fitting all the electonics in there? lol. I think I was insane to do the studio set configuration with the lightsheets, since you can barely see inside anyway but what's done is done.

Keep up the great work.

Jerry

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Squirrel: Panavise has their own website:

http://www.panavise.com/f/cctv/cctv_dualopt_tele.html

...and I ordered the one pictured here:

http://www.cctvonlinestore.com/product_inf...ts_id=453054416

Jerry, PM me your mailing addy and I'll send you some goodies... :D The electrics for the LEDs weren't too bad to fit. Of course, I didn't have to construct an inner cockpit ball like you did. Mine's sloppy as the filming models with wires plainly visible. I'll fix that later. :angel

Ryan is responsible for pointing me to the fantastic color. Thanks. It looks lighter in the daylight. In dim light it looks almost dark grey. It's got some interesting tones and really seems to add scale to the ship.

And now, back to my wings.
Allan

Love the build, great work. As for the mounts, i think ive found my solution as of now, but what sort of weight are they good for (panavise) Im thinking of one for a cooper RBR, and my SS MR Y wing.
They just look very prop like mounts, quite effective indeed.
lee

The panavise sites I'm aware of don't have any specs on weight limits. The one I ordered seems like it could easily handle about 15 lbs.

I imagine you will encounter some balance issues when mounting an RBR. I'm not sure how much that kit weighs, or how long it is, but if the weight isn't evenly distributed you would probably stress the resin which may lead to failure.

REL is using this same mount for his Enterprise E; a FG ship of some size. You could PM him for weight limits, or he might chime in...

<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Oct 27 2006, 08:22 PM) [snapback]1346096[/snapback]</div>
The panavise sites I'm aware of don't have any specs on weight limits. The one I ordered seems like it could easily handle about 15 lbs.

I imagine you will encounter some balance issues when mounting an RBR. I'm not sure how much that kit weighs, or how long it is, but if the weight isn't evenly distributed you would probably stress the resin which may lead to failure.

REL is using this same mount for his Enterprise E; a FG ship of some size. You could PM him for weight limits, or he might chime in...
[/b]
Thanks Imaginager, i think the mounts in this case would be tricky, the runner kit is way back heavy due to the engine cluster, so a good steel rod will have to suffice. REL's kit looks way more balanced IMO. The rest of my builds to come should benefit from a panavise as there not as tricky to mount. My CC kit should look cool on one of these :p
The color is superb on your TIE, really looking forward to the progress.

lee

Lee, I got a second one for my Salzo X, too. I'd like to hear what REL used, but I bought a coupler, threaded rod, a large washer and a steel sleave to make it all work. REL's looked like he swapped out the existing mount for a larger size...

Anyway, I finished the Koolshade portion of the TIE build today. Some have asked about how the Hero wings are assembled and JV has posted some excellent reference pics. Here's what I came up with.

I sized, cut and masked the sheet styrene that will give each wing it's shape. 1mm sheet was recommended, but I used .08 sheet (about 2mm). I tried the 1mm, but felt that it wasn't rigid enough. The masked areas will provide a clean surface to bond the Koolshade. Here's a sheet that's been prepped for painting:
mask.jpg

And, painted:

paint.jpg

I keyed each side of each wing for its particular section of Koolshade:

key.jpg

Next, comes the epoxy. I use Loctite 2-part 5 minute epoxy. It stinks but is simple to use, with a 1:1 mix ratio.

epoxy.jpg

epoxy2.jpg

Here's a shot of a wing's edge so you can see how it's all sandwiched together:

swich.jpg

Lastly, here's how it will look with a wingstar attached; this one is just resting loose on top. I'll use 6 ratcheting clamps to secure each wingstar while the epoxy cures. Koolshade really makes this model, there's just no way to achieve this with a cast piece or alternate material. Seeing these wings take shape has been very rewarding, considering the initial hit to the ol' pocketbook.

next.jpg

Last edited:
Small update. This is the correct part for the cannon shroud. I did not get these from Steve, and Steve did not provide me a source. He gave me a nudge and I started searching. I substituted Raboesch white styrene tube (product of the Netherlands) for the brass tube ILM reportedly used. These assemblies are raw and still need to be painted and finished.

Please don't ask me for details, as this replica is, essentially, "Steve's" show. He did the initial research and I respect that it's his call.

I will say, though, that it's a lot of fun finding a needle in a haystack. I bought all of the remaining stock from the source I found (they had fewer in stock than their minimum order quantity, so I had no choice). Then, UPS lost my order. Eventually, I was able to get it. But, the whole time I wasn't certain this was the correct part until I opened the box and compared them against the cast pieces and photos I've taken.

cannon.jpg

Last edited:
Killin it sir, a truly beautiful TIE build right there, those wings look magnificent, too bad my "pocketbook" wont allow me the pleasure at the minute :lol

lee

This is looking good. I can't wait to build Kurt's up, this looks like an awesome kit.

I did exactly the same thing with my mount, I used a coupler with a threaded extension covered by a steel sleeve. My ship only weighs 4lbs fully built up so it's not that heavy, plus as was mentioned the mounting point is pretty much over the center of gravity so that's an advantage. For something back heavy like the BR you would have to turn the socket so the ball mount is against the sides of the socket so it couldn't move, then I would use a 1/4" to 1/2" adapter (the mount has a 1/4" thread) so it could be mounted to a 1/2" pipe on the inside for strength.

Thanks guys! :D REL, are you doing the Koolshade version for Kurt? I'll be interested to see your progress, either way!

Finished the cannons earlier this evening. Here are some new pics. The hull is just about done...I'll be starting on the wing frames tomorrow.

cannon_fin.jpg

compare.jpg

hull.jpg

close.jpg

Last edited:
<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Nov 5 2006, 04:01 AM) [snapback]1350980[/snapback]</div>
Thanks guys. :D REL, are you doing the Koolshade version for Kurt? I'll be interested to see your progress, either way.

Finished the cannons earlier this evening. Here are some new pics. The hull is just about done...I'll be starting on the wing frames tomorrow.

[image]http://www.imaginager.com/tie/cannon_fin.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.imaginager.com/tie/compare.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.imaginager.com/tie/hull.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.imaginager.com/tie/close.jpg[/image]
[/b]

I hate to break it to you, but the LED's should be ORANGE.

Otherwise, looking very good.

Ryan

What LEDs?? :p

Ryan, you caught me out. :$

I couldn't find any orange LEDs that I could actually verify are orange when unlit. However, I did find a clear orange wash (Tamiya) that I'll apply when everything else is done. Or, maybe not. Honestly, the orange doesn't do much for me. And, in this pic of a real model, it's a red-orange-dusty...to my eye, anyway. :D

EDIT: Oh, and check out how they filed down the cockpit insert, presumably to fit a mount through the window... I'm not going to go that way...artistically speaking.

real.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
I recently purchased on of Steves Ties
The cannons were one of the areas i wanted to improve as i want to light them
Could someone guide me as to where i might find the correct cannon shrouds?
Alternatively does anyone want to part with a pair?
I dont want to disclose where others have purchased, i would just like a pair to improve my own tie.
Many Thanks

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back