SS TIE Fighter: Buildup of Nice-N Models Hero Kit

Absolutely stunning work Allan. I'm very impressd with this piece and the stand really adds to the studio feel of it. It looks like it could be used for filming at any moment.

You know, there are always going to be some criticisms and critiques towards any model kit, whether it is a garage kit or officially licensed. No matter how meticulous the research and production values there is always going to be something that is just slightly off from the actual filming model and it's always noticed. That's just the way it is for anything that people are passionate about. This kit looks amazing though and the work done to it is really awe-inspiring.

I would love to get my hands on a kit like this. Forget Master Replicas; building your own is the way to go. It's so much more rewarding when people ask where you got it and you can tell them you built it. Something like this would be an awsome centerpiece in one's collection.

Enough of my gushing - thanks for sharing your work.

Thanks for the comments. I agree, wholeheartedly, about building it yourself. I know that not everyone can, or has the desire. But, on the flipside, I do think a lot of people sell themselves short when it comes to assessing their capabilities.

In this case, though, swpropmaker really has done the difficult and technical model building. As someone once told me, we wouldn't have 2 sticks to rub together without him. I know I've told people privately, can't recall if I posted it above. If I did, it's worth repeating...

The only way to get closer than swpropmaker's kit to creating the look of the TIE filming miniature is to steal one from the LF archives or spend the YEARS researching and mastering your own. There is nothing else available to collectors or modelers that can approach his kit.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Allan

I got some good light today (12/2) and took some pics of the final version...

tiefinal.jpg

wings.jpg

wingstarfinal.jpg

tiefinal3.jpg

tiefinal2.jpg

tiefinal4.jpg

tiefinal5.jpg

Last edited:
Can't say it often enough . It looks fantastic . I hope mine is coming out that great (im in the middle of the build up).

Philip

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imaginager @ Dec 3 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]1370632[/snapback]</div>
Hey Spiker - post some progress pics.. Your X is awesome.

I'll be looking forward to your ESB buildup, Mike. ;)
[/b]

Thanks, it will be after i finish the 1/2 scale Galactica. My ANH has been done for a while, it's the one that will be in 5-25-77, if the movie ever gets released. Both of my kits have the Koolshade cast into the wings (non-hero), but i found a cool way to simulate the look of the "shimmer". Still nothing beats the Koolshade.
mike

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockhopper @ Dec 3 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]1370759[/snapback]</div>
Hi Mike
How did you simulate the coolshade shimmer?
Many Thanks
[/b]

...it's real Koolshade <shhhhh> :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockhopper @ Dec 3 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]1370759[/snapback]</div>
Hi Mike
Many Thanks
[/b]

I painted the Solar panels semi flat black Krylon, masked them off, painted the rest of the TIE, once that was done i used a high quality brush and hand applied some Future floor polish to the Koolsade very lightly (almost drybrushing) across the raised ridges of the koolshade. You need to play with it a bit to get the right technique, but if you mess up you can use some windex to wipe off the future, if you do it right you should get a neat effect.

I did not mask off the stars when i did it, but i have a pretty steady hand..
mike

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mslz22 @ Dec 4 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]1371095[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockhopper @ Dec 3 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]1370759[/snapback]
Hi Mike
Many Thanks
[/b]

I painted the Solar panels semi flat black Krylon, masked them off, painted the rest of the TIE, once that was done i used a high quality brush and hand applied some Future floor polish to the Koolsade very lightly (almost drybrushing) across the raised ridges of the koolshade. You need to play with it a bit to get the right technique, but if you mess up you can use some windex to wipe off the future, if you do it right you should get a neat effect.

I did not mask off the stars when i did it, but i have a pretty steady hand..
mike
[/b][/quote]

Thanks Mike, i'll give it a try when painting time comes.

Alan- that Tie is a real beauty :thumbsup
I would really love to have some pictures of the Tie up on studioscalemodeler.com if you dont' mind can you submit some to me? if you want please go to the site and email them to me :) I don't want to post pictures without your authorization.

Sorry, I didn't notice your comment sooner. I'll get to your site and fire off some pics at the end of the week.

Thanks for the kind words.

Allan

Thanks, Richard! But, wait 'til they get a load of yours!

Most people didn't know this, but this buildup was the first "model" I'd built since I was a teen. And I was 39 years old in 2006... :eek

Just goes to show, anyone can build studio scale! :lol

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back