Star Trek question - why did Troi not have a SF uniform?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was watching TNG tonight and started wondering why Counselor Troi had a different outfit and not a Starfleet uniform. Doctor Crusher had a Starfleet medical uniform, so I'm guessing counselors would probably be under medical as well. Was it all a T&A factor or some other explanation?

In all fairness, she did eventually get a full starfleet commission to Commander and began wearing one.

I always loved this one though:

images

In all fairness, she did eventually get a full starfleet commission to Commander and began wearing one.

Mmm-hey. Technically she began wearing the regular uniform when ordered to by Captain Jellico while Picard was busy sneaking around the Cardassians. She obtained her rank of "Commander" mid-way through the next season.

But, yeah, the original answer still stands - cleavage.

Just to edit my response - I hate when they do this. Troi, Seven, T'Pol... they should have all been in a uniform. Personally, I never thought Seven was 'all that' (visually) until they put her in a Science uniform. *Drooool*

I'm just glad that all the DS9 women are wearing the uniform. ;)

They should've learned when they introduced Ensign Ro that females can look hot in the TNG uniform. Plus she was still a badass. I think I read somewhere that those uniforms had some kind of built in bras or something and that really enhanced their clevage, too.

i might have liked DS9 better had kira put her hair down and not been in uniform. i remember being astounded to discover that the actress was quite attractive.

Kira always had short hair, except, I think, in the alternate universe. She looked best that way anyway. On that note: I wish Kirk wasn't the only male to really take his shirt off! I always thought Klingons should fight bare-chested!

The cynical reason may have been T&A, but also remember there's a difference between a Doctor and a Counsellor. Doctors have to keep a professional distance but Troi was dealing with peoples' emotional problems, so a less formal outfit may have helped to put her patients at ease.

The cynical reason may have been T&A, but also remember there's a difference between a Doctor and a Counsellor. Doctors have to keep a professional distance but Troi was dealing with peoples' emotional problems, so a less formal outfit may have helped to put her patients at ease.

Even though I totally agree, I still think it sounds like a "Gene Justification" just to get Troi into something more...visually interesting.

But I also agree that all of the women in question looked better in the standard uniform once we finally saw them in one.

Mmm-hey. Technically she began wearing the regular uniform when ordered to by Captain Jellico while Picard was busy sneaking around the Cardassians.

To be fair, she was wearing a standard uniform skant (the very same one the men wore... but that's another topic :sick :lol) in "Encounter at Farpoint."

I'd agree with the "out of uniform puts patients more at ease" answer. Since Starfleet isn't the military and entire families were aboard the Enterprise, I would say that there is a lot of leeway given to dress codes.

From a story telling standpoint, Jellico was the one who seemed out of place when he started running the Enterprise like a military vessel and ordered Troi to wear her uniform.

Kevin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first time we actually saw her in the 'standard' uniform (not as the intergalactic cheerleader) was in Future Imperfect?? No??

...But I also agree that all of the women in question looked better in the standard uniform once we finally saw them in one.

True, that. Troi, Seven and T'Pol all looked just fine in standard uniforms!:)

Actually, this got me to thinking that I wouldn't have minded Scotty wearing one of those Mr. Kyle "work coat" outfits once in a while. It'd have given him a "working guy" futuristic-mechanic look.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back