1950's "Greaser" Batman, leather work help.

Idle Time

A lot of you have probably seen the 1950's greaser/rockabilly reimagination of batman by Denis Medri. (see attached if not) And I would love to give this a try for a convention next month. The problem is that I would love to do the mask and belt from leather and I've never worked with it.

• I know it can be wet and stretched (though I don't know if warm water or if I need to boil it), but would it be better if I had a form to pull it over, kind of like vacuforming?
  • How would I pattern out the mask, taking into account that stretch? I was thinking down the center and attach the ears, but the less peices the better, right? I wouldn't be able to pull and stretch the whole thing out of one peice would I?
  • I have some sheets of craft foam, would that work to help pattern it?
  • Any tips on sewing, dyeing and treating it that I might not find out about in online tutorials?
  • Would I need new leather or if I could find an old leather jacket or leather couch, could I use that, or do I need "fresh" leather?
  • Any recomendations on what leather to use, how much I'd need and where I'd be able to buy it for a good price? The only place I know of is Tandy Leather online.
I kind of need a crash course in leather crafts. I'm looking up things on my own but I would really appreciate any help anyone can give a newbie. :) Thanks a lot for the help, I know I have a lot of questions.

(if you like that batman you can see the Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl and villans at the link here: Poodle Skirts!: Batman Characters Reimagined In 1950's | Geekologie )

I saw that picture on a blog and thought it was awesome. it will make one heck of a costume! Good luck!

Now this is something completely different!

Cool, man! I can just hear the ol' Rock 'n' Roll music now.

Just sculpt it.
What do you mean sculpt it? You mean a form to pull the leather over? I was working on that, it seems the best way. I was hoping to do it from a single piece and looked up the Daredevil movie mask to see how they did it.. then realized they had seams all over the back. I'm guessing i'll have to try that.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

AAUGH! You're going to beat me to it! I'm planning on doing this same Batman with my wife as Catwoman. I have to wait until next year after she works off the baby weight (due late november)

catwoman_rockabilly_by_denism79-d4ytob5.jpg

AAUGH! You're going to beat me to it! I'm planning on doing this same Batman with my wife as Catwoman. I have to wait until next year after she works off the baby weight (due late november)]

lol yeah us too, the same month. She wants to do Catwoman but our little girl in her isn't letting her

I had not seen any of these drawings before and coming from a person who is not into 50's style rockabillies or psychobillies.... I think this is pretty freaking cool!

Oh wow, congratulations to the both of you! I wish I had someone to join me.
Hopefully I can beat you two to it. I'm on a buget and a hurry.
sadly I can't do batexans method. not enough l materials to mold and cast it.
The way I'm working it out in my head is that I'll take a cast of my head and build up the ears and detail to a hard form that I can pull leather over. it'll have one or two seams on the back but I'm fine with that. It'll end up similar to the movie version of the daredevil mask.

right now I bought some sheet metal to start on the goggles. The only one I found similar to the ref photo were aviation ones that I would need to take apart completely jus to use the metal frame and glass. So I'm trying to make my own for much cheaper. I really hope I can do this right. I've read up on how to do these things but I've never actually done them. I'm still very noobish.

Since you can't do BatTexan's method. I'd suggest taking some muslin, draping it over your head and draw up a pattern, then once you've completed the pattern, use some dark vinyl from your local Jo-Ann's or what-have-you. Then sew it together. It's not the BEST quality, but it'll get the desired effect both on a budget and deadline.

Since you can't do BatTexan's method. I'd suggest taking some muslin, draping it over your head and draw up a pattern, then once you've completed the pattern, use some dark vinyl from your local Jo-Ann's or what-have-you. Then sew it together. It's not the BEST quality, but it'll get the desired effect both on a budget and deadline.

Yeah ditto for a time crunch this is the best option to follow, seeing as the design is based off a scull cap/aviator cap hiding the stitches inst necessary I think seeing bold stitches might lend to the design more.

I've seen people wrap their head with duct tape, with something underneath obviously. Then you can draw lines and cut out the pieces.

If you are looking to stretch the leather over a form (like molding it to a shape), you will need vegetable tanned leather. Any kind of garment leather, or recycled leather cut from an old coat, will not hold a new shape.

If you are looking to stretch the leather over a form (like molding it to a shape), you will need vegetable tanned leather. Any kind of garment leather, or recycled leather cut from an old coat, will not hold a new shape.
Some upholstery leathers are veg-tanned. To know for sure, look for a lighter shade on the inside when cut. If it is uniform all the way through, it is most likely veg-tanned. Either way, start with new leather. It has more stretch and will be more durable. You will need 1-2oz. thick vegetable tanned leather. Cowhide, goat, doesn't matter. Make a lifecast of your head. It will need to be hard to be able to wet form the leather. You can start with an aviator leather helmet pattern (Don't trim it, you will be removing excess later), stitch it up and soak it in warm water until there are no more bubbles (the bubbles are from air trapped in the voids of the leather, it may take some kneading to get them all out). Stretch the leather over the form and secure it in place. Let the leather dry completely. (If you remove the leather from the form while it is still wet, it will try to return to it's original shape [not flat, but cow/pig/goat shaped]) Trim off the excess, and make your lining from cloth, sheepskin (hair-on), etc. Cut a 1" strip of the veg-tan leather to bind the edge for a finished look and stitch it on.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a pm.

wow lot's of good tips. I'll definitely be using them. Make out the pattern on to leather (the one thing I want to splurge on) and use vinyl for all those pouches.

Dung0beetle had similar advice but wouldn't stitching it together then stretching it over the form stretch the holes made by sewing too? or no? and would I alter the pattern to give it ear points or can those just be stretched into it?

I'll be starting what I can and try to update the thread with more than just questions :) thanks again everyone

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back