Our "Magnum P.I." ring...

lharles

Sr Member
Started this one with 'Magic Sculpt' originally. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out like I wanted as the detail on the Cross of Lorraine was either too brittle or distorted to look right.

SO, I decided to give 3D printing a shot for the first time, (Shapeways).

I wound up making a model in SketchUp & breaking it down into several pieces.

Even having done this, I'm reasonably sure I'll have a lot of finish work once I get the bits n' pieces.

I screen-grabbed the auto-generated pics of the pieces & am adding em' to this post.

On the off chance someone wants the .skp/.stl files to modify em' or their own use, I'll be glad to share - once I've verified the size/details of the stuff comin' in the mail. :)

Anyway, pic below...

Wearing mine as I post.

Those rings were all over the place.

Remember the Cross on the Pilot two-parter Yikes!! :lol

I couldn't find an affordable option. :(

...so, I decided to make my own.

I had only watched the show in fits & starts over the years. Actually worked my way through all the eps in order on Netflix over the last few months, (there are A-Team & Knight Rider crossover eps ONLY on disc...but I saw the rest...).

Envious you already have a ring... :)

[...I made Jim Rockford's cookie jar a while back but didn't post about it here... maybe I should... ]

Wearing mine as I post.

Those rings were all over the place.

Remember the Cross on the Pilot two-parter Yikes!! :lol

This is how far I got on the 'Magic Sculpt' version...

Might still make some use of it, but I purposefully left the top very rough & now I wish I hadn't. The RING part, (the hoop that goes around the finger), turned out GREAT, (not that you can see that very well in the picture). So - if I were just making a simple ring - that would be wonderful...

:)

Well, I've gone through two sets of prototypes now. I've got the third comin' in a couple weeks, if there aren't any problems with the models.

The first set had the ring size right but the shape/size of the cross/cross surround was off. Started from scratch & - although I like the way the newer one turned out - the scale on the second set of prototypes were way off. :)

I'll probably clean em' up, get em' painted & clear coated, just to see how they'll turn out. May put em' in my trade thread eventually too. {shrug}

Anyway, here are some pics of the current prototypes...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:)

Finally made some additional progress on this, (many, many missteps along the way to the current prototype). New prototype 3d print due to arrive today...

Pic o' the 3d model, (color added), for reference. :)

magringNEW.jpg

A couple collage pics of the 3d print I received today, (had to enhance the brightness a bit in the first one, on the ring/insert).

I think I like it as it is, for the most part, (obviously its final version won't be in black plastic), but I'm not entirely sure about the size of rim around the cross area. It might need to be a slight bit wider.

Thoughts? :)
-

. . . . . . magringFB2.jpg . . . . . . magringFB3.jpg . . . . . .

Started this one . . .
On the off chance someone wants the .skp/.stl files to modify em' or their own use, I'll be glad to share - once I've verified the size/details of the stuff comin' in the mail. :)

Anyway, pic below...

Fantastic project and the progression looks like it turned out very nicely!
Over the last couple years it seems that these rings have become more available and more affordable. (I even saw one under $20)
Regardless of buying one cheap enough, I'd like to try 3D printing one. Are you still willing to share the STL?

Fantastic project and the progression looks like it turned out very nicely!
Over the last couple years it seems that these rings have become more available and more affordable. (I even saw one under $20)
Regardless of buying one cheap enough, I'd like to try 3D printing one. Are you still willing to share the STL?

Sure. :) STL for personal use, attached, (in zip).

Attachments

• magring-lidRPF-2013.zip
    256.2 KB · Views: 228
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back