Star Trek Voyager - Holo Emitter

Snow Builder

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thought it'd be fun to do a quick and dirty project. I saw a couple of great emitter threads and thought I'd "borrow" from the best...

Quick pencil sketch
13726-quick-pencil-sketch-ultimately-cut-out-used.jpg

Outlined on styrene with initial cuts on the "vents".
13728-outlined-styrene-initial-cuts-vents.jpg

I got caught up in the build and forgot to take more pics. Basically cut a piece of scrap composite board to the shape of the styrene then glued them together. Then it was a lot of sanding, priming and painting.

The finished prototype:
13727-finished-prototype-easier-see-scale-when-its.jpg

I wanted to make multiple copies. Prepping for molding:
13722-prepping-molding.jpg

Mold box
13723-mold-box-done-ready-go.jpg

Completed mold
13724-molds-came-out-nice-clean.jpg

I think a couple of bristles from the brush (when I was applying the mold release) adhered to the buck (grrrr). Otherwise, not too bad...
13725-two-castings-black-resin.jpg

Next is cleanup and paint...

Alan-

I was thinking I'd go the printed circuitry route, but I'm open to suggestions. What are your thoughts?

I got a little painting done last night. I laid down an initial coat of silver then, once dry, hit with a flat gray.
13734-first-coat-paint-silver-then-flat-gray.jpg

13735-img-1368.jpg

Oh no, don't ask me ! I'd just pick the lazy way & go for printed :lol !

But rest assured that if you want to go the 'genuine' route, someone on the board knows exactly which obsolete calculator or something the original circuit board came / was copied from :lol

Seriously though, if I were you, I'd go the printed way. Simple is best IMO :):thumbsup

Thanks for the compliments and feedback.

Cmdr.Kerner shared a graphic in one of the emitter threads that is a perfect fit for my prop.

Both of my emitters are now painted and clear-coated. I tried a slightly different paint job for each of the two. I've got my favorite but I'm curious as to which one you all like more.

Also, I haven't painted the "vents" in the top of the emitter. Some of the reference photos I've seen show the interiors of the vents as black; other show them as the same gray as the body. Again, I welcome your thoughts.

13749-img-6770.jpg

13748-img-6769.jpg

13747-img-6768.jpg

13746-img-6767.jpg

Those look slick.

I made one from several pieces of plastic but mine is larger. I think the file I used was incorrect or I scaled it wrong. Which happens more than I would like!! :lol

Looks very good though. Something to be proud of!!

Kenny

. Basically cut a piece of scrap composite board to the shape of the styrene then glued them together. Then it was a lot of sanding, priming and painting.
Hi,
Sorry to bother you, love the final look of your Holo Emitter! i'm trying to make the same thing but this is my first project and I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing lol.

With that warning, I have what is quite possibly going to be the dumbest question you've ever been asked...what is "scrap composite board" I googled it and got nowhere...where do I buy something like that?

I don't need to make multiples of the holo emitter, I just need one, so what I gather from your post is I can make one out of a combo of the composite board and the styrene? Will it be very heavy?

Again, sorry to bother you, any help you could provide would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
H

Composite board is basically sawdust and glue, pressed into a board. MDF board or masonite are two examples. Scrap composite board is extra pieces left over from previous projects.

Composite board is basically sawdust and glue, pressed into a board. MDF board or masonite are two examples. Scrap composite board is extra pieces left over from previous projects.

Thanks so much for your answer! :) Really appreciate it!

HJK -sorry I missed your post. Thanks everyone for stepping in and helping -and also thanks for the kind words.

The piece is very light, not more than a couple of ounces.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back