Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell

DMC 12

Long story short, I had an old model of voyager given to my by my uncle, and Since I've got another boxed revell voyager to build, I thought I'd transform this into the year of hell edition :D

This is my first time scratching any interiors or anything, so I'm not sure how it'll all turn out. I've still got to thin out the edges of the plastic breaches with a dremel, and remove some of the blobbier areas (I used a soldering iron for the holes) I plan to light it using the flickering candle effect LEDS to simulate burning fires in certain areas.
Hopefully it'll turn out as well as my Bird of Prey model did :D

All work inspected by Number One of course ;)

rUNO0.jpg

iGSOz.jpg

2tFWF.jpg

Any tips for detailing the interior parts would be helpful!

I'd send that kit back, it looks damaged.

Seriously it's a ballsy move getting into it with the soldering iron like that. Look forward to your progress!

Small update:

Found some decking I started a while ago, It's nothing compared to what some people can do on here, but I have my excuse :D It's a battle damaged ship, so I don't expect things to be nice and level ;)

I cut up an old set of earphones for my deflector innards, I doubt it's accurate. but It'll do.

Dy3LU.jpg

Wow. I gotta say, that's pretty darn kewl, dude! :) Don't ever really see these builds around much, so good for you.

If I had one of these just lying around doing nothing, I'd probably do the same thing. Always thought the "Year of Hell" representation of the ship looked really neat.

It's been a while since I've watched those VOY episodes, so I didn't remember there being that large a hull breach in the forward part of the saucer. Yowzers :confused

Btw, I like your approach of using a soldering iron to achieve that look. Really sells it, imho. It's coming along well so far. Keep it up.

That bigger part was pretty late in the episode, when a ship came across the bow of voyager.

btw, I got your message, tried to reply but I have no idea if it's gone through or not.
(I've been bumped back down to a new member as I made most of my posts on the other site after this one was hijacked)

Oh yeah, that's right. Raked right across the front of the bow. Forgot about that part :rolleyes lol

And yeah, got your reply. Sent one back to you ;)

Definitely ballsy but cool at the same time I'm looking forward to this build. I remember this bit of voyager I loved the fact for once the had the battle damage staying along with her. Kind of got sick of watching that ship get into one fight after the other and always coming up clean and pretty despite no starbase in sight. Oh have you seen Steve Neill's model of this ship it looks sharp. Anyhow good luck and post up many pics.

A small update, I'm not sure whether or not to just coat all the interior bits flat black, then accent with greys, or to leave it as an uneaven wash like this, I personally think this looks a little more like fire damage, but then who knows. It still needs more debris and the deflector sorting out

GC5H3.jpg

Btw, does anyone know how I can drill out these windows properly? Their squareness is making it somewhat difficult

Personally, I think what you've done there is good. I'd agree that the uneven wash gives it an appropriate fire damaged appearance.

Definitely add in some debris in the exposed sections. See if you can find some tiny railroad figures in the correct scale to throw in there, too. Not too many though, just a few.

Although not necessarily accurate, as any bodies stuck in those sections would've been sucked out when the hull breached, I think they'd add something to the overall look.

As for how to drill out the windows, I'd suggest using a Dremel tool with a small drill bit.

Drill out enough of the material without going outside the window frame, then use an X-acto knife to clear out the rest, and follow up with a small file of some sort to make sure the windows are square.

That's how I'd do it, anyway.

From what I remember about that episode I'd say you have the look down pretty well. The candle flicker leds are a great idea

g1lhA.jpg

A little update, looking too smooth so I'll roughen up the edges. But I'm not sure what debris to put into the larger areas.

...I'm not sure what debris to put into the larger areas.

Hmm...*scratches head*...I'm just thinking that if I were building this model (which is really looking cool, by the way!), I'd search for damaged building pictures. Which I did try, and found some very insprational photos ('inspirational' doesn't seem like the right word, considering the tragic circumstances which befall people). Nevertheless, it'll give you some good ideas as to what kinds of things remain of a room after an unexpected impact.
I tried fire damaged, too, but I was surprised how little use this reference was. I'm sure just a simple starting point or two will give you plenty to work with, though. So far you're doing great!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back