Loki's scepter: templates and build

zlindee

I couldn't find this anywhere so I spent the night drawing up this template from two screen caps as well as some help from SITHcamaro's build (which has been posted somewhere on here). It's 36 inches from tip to tip, which seemed right based on the aforementioned reference images and also me holding a 3' piece of pvc pipe and pretending to shoot at Nick Fury's helicopter.

Loki Spear Template.png by zlindee, on Flickr

Each color was created as an individual layer in photoshop so I can turn each layer on and off. I wish I could upload the .psd because it infinitely increases the file's usability in my opinion.

I plan on starting this build sometime this weekend, if I do, I suppose I'll use this thread to post updates.

Last edited:
Re: Loki's scepter templates

Don't know if this deserves the bump, but I've begun work on the scepter and I figured I'd upload some pics.

The first step was to scribe in the little designs on each side sooooo....
I printed the template once normally and once mirrored, then tacked them down with some temporary adhesive.

IMG_0332.JPG by zlindee, on Flickr

I wanted to sort of etch the design in, so I pulled out what I think is called a multi purpose bit for my dremel (a dremel routing bit should work fine as well) and made two passes, one at 1/8" and one at 1/4".

Here's the bit for reference:

IMG_0333.JPG by zlindee, on Flickr

And here's the MDF after the passes.

IMG_0334.JPG by zlindee, on Flickr

Tomorrow I'll cut out the main body. On second thought perhaps not tomorrow, I'm gonna be casting a proton pack shell, so I may not have time. But I'll update when I get the chance.

Heya-

I was a Ravenclaw Invoker at Harry Potter's finale last year and have some of the necessary stuff to make a great Loki city suave costume (not the Asengard armor one, which would be cool too). Looked around and came to the same conclusion as yourself that there really isn't a prop made at this time. I'm really hoping your construction turns out excellent so I can follow in your footsteps!

Thanks much and will watch your progress!

-Kist

@Kistilan
Glad someone's following. Was afraid this thread would end up buried in the depths of the forum netherworld forevermore.

Did some more work on it today after fixing my jigsaw. Cut out each of the pieces, and then realized my mistake. Looking back at the pics of my templates on the MDF I can see that one is smaller than the other. When I mirrored the first and reprinted it for the second side, I selected scale to fit rather than print at 100%. As such, the second is about two inches shorter than the first. :facepalm Looks like I'm gonna have to re-engrave and re-cut the second. I'm not too upset though, cause I would like to clean up some of the engraving anyway.

BUT, I did get the first side cut out and I think the length will be perfect. Here's a pic of the piece. Hasn't been cleaned up yet - gonna wait until I have the second piece to match it to.

IMG_0353.JPG by zlindee, on Flickr

And one of the engraving.

IMG_0352.JPG by zlindee, on Flickr

Next step (after re-cutting the second layer) is to glue them together and round the edges, as well as some clean ups.

@Kistilan
Glad someone's following. Was afraid this thread would end up buried in the depths of the forum netherworld forevermore.

Don't worry, I think you've got a lot of people (myself included) silently watching from the sidelines. This is definitely going to be one of the props that everyone is going to have a go at in due time, so people are probably just watching and learning.

And you can count on me to be watching this thread. You've got a great start, I really can't wait to see even more progress.

-Nick

Sorta sad update:
My idiot brothers broke the piece. Looks like I've got to re-cut both layers of the body now...

totally going to be following your progress on this!!! Shame about your brother breaking the first ones though :p

Alrighty, now that I've had a chance to get back to work, here's an update on the progress.

I've got the new pieces cut, then glued together. After that I went to work with a box plane and my orbital sander. You can see the results below.

IMG_0492.JPG by zlindee, on Flickr

IMG_0493.JPG by zlindee, on Flickr

I had a piece knocked off by the sanding process, but a little glue and a clamp and it was good as new.

IMG_0495 by zlindee, on Flickr

IMG_0496 by zlindee, on Flickr

Finally, if anyone's interested in the original psd file of the template, check out this thread here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/template-roundup-150548/

I couldn't find this anywhere so I spent the night drawing up this template from two screen caps as well as some help from SITHcamaro's build (which has been posted somewhere on here). It's 36 inches from tip to tip, which seemed right based on the aforementioned reference images and also me holding a 3' piece of pvc pipe and pretending to shoot at Nick Fury's helicopter.

That's weird. Based on my measurements, the short sceptre is more like 42.5" than 36". I know that's not much difference, but hey. Here's my reasoning...

Based on this pic, I used his hand as a size reference.
loki-kneel.jpg

Not having an actual length for the prop, I was concerned mainly with getting the scale of the prop in the correct proportion to my friend's costume.
I printed the portion of the pic that had the sceptre and his hand, then measured both. On my print, the sceptre was 8.5" from tip to tip, and the height of his hand was approx. 3/4" (.75"). I then measured my friend's hand (and my hand) in the same pose. My friend's hand was 3.5" and mine was 4". I decided to split the difference, and came up with 3.75".

So, 8.5/.7=11.33333*3.75=42.49

If I just used my friend's hand measurement of 3.5" I'd get a sceptre length of approx 40". If I used my hand measurement of 4", I'd get a sceptre length of 45.33".

I guess we just have to hope that at some point someone can get an actual sceptre length, or at the very least get Tom Hiddleston measure his fist for an approx measurement. Who knows... stranger things have happened, although I can't remember ever typing a stranger sentence.

Perhaps you are right. I was afraid of going too long, and I'm happy with the size I've got now. I just double checked using Hiddleston's shin for reference, and coming up with a slightly higher than 2:1 ratio if staff to shin. My shin is approx 17-1/2" long and I'm 6'. Hiddleston (after a quick search on google) seems to be 6'2", so a little more than 35" seemed appropriate, and what the heck, 3' is a nice round number (sort of).

That said, you should definitely go with your gut. Like I said, I held a three foot piece of pvc and swung it around for a while and decided I like the feel of that length. But that length might not work for everyone, especially those considerably taller or shorter than Hiddleston's 6'2".

Also, I'm really hoping to get back to this project soon. Your guys' support has been great thus far and I almost feel like I'm abandoning you, so as soon as I can I'll get some more work done and some more pictures posted.

Thanks

Thanks for posting the templates, zlindee!

In re length of scepter: I always size my props relative to my own height (I'm 5'4", so that's usually downsizing), so I think a little variation in measurement is to be expected. The important thing is that it looks appropriate next to the person who will be holding/carrying it.

The template looks great, Is there any chance you can send the psd document you talked about? I'm starting work on a scepter and would really appreciate it!

Just saw your other thread about the drop box. PMing you. Thanks.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing this when its finished.

As for the length.... I could swear that Scepter changed length to whatever the hell length Loki wanted it to be at any given time.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back