WW2 Captain America Project

Army Scout

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
He all,
This is my first dive into a superhero costume.
And what better SupÂ’s to work on then Captain America...

I have decided to tackle this version. I am a WW2 buff, and I think this just looks outstanding.
capleather1uj.jpg

I have talked it over with a friend of mine and I think we have a good idea on how to complete this version.

1st is the pants and jacket material. We are thinking of a polished denim or leather. IÂ’m thinking of the comfort level. Leather gets hot :)

The mask area..
head.jpg

Gonna use a vac formed mask. Hopefully a off the shelf item. Add it to a hard skull cap so we can attach the wings. Cover everything in denim or leather.

The shouldersÂ…
shoulder.jpg

We will vac form these use modified Stormtrooper shoulder bells.

EpilatesÂ….
eps.jpg

Probably foam attached via Velcro.

ChestÂ…
chest.jpg

Were looking at this like a set of armor. So it will be made of leather that will attach to the shirt with buttons.

BeltÂ…
belt.jpg

Trying to use real WW2 items for the accessories, so going to use a M1 Garand ammo belt. Going to toss it in some brown dye to darken it up. And change the belt buckle.
71262_G_001.jpg

Thigh pouches
legdrop.jpg

These will be made using 1911 ammo pouches and M1 Carbine ammo pouches (15 and 30 rounderÂ’s) Attached using a custom harness.
DSC00096.jpg

1911 ammo pouch

30rdmagpouch.jpg

M1 Carbine 30 rounder ammo pouch

71262_G.jpg

M1 Carbine 15 round ammo pouch

Gloves and arm armorÂ….
arms.jpg

IÂ’m looking at red padded motocross gloves for the base. The armor will be made using modified Stormtrooper armor parts. IÂ’ll be crafting some stuff using foam to get the look right.

Boots..
20068profile.jpg

These will probably be WW2 type combat boots with an armor spat like the arms. Lots of buckles. IÂ’ll have to create these cause there are no images.

Sheild...
There are a lot of options for a sheild. So not to worried about that item.

I hope to have everything ready by Comic Con 2006. (8 months).

Wadda ya think???

Chris

Picture040.jpg

Picture041.jpg

heres mine, looks like an interesting variation of the costume, is this from a new comic i havnt seen or your own design?

I was looking at another forum and found the image. It just looks so damn good :)

I'll post pic's as we go...

Chris

I look forward to seeing this costume. I've always thought that was the coolest Cap version. Have you thought about using fatigue-weight cotton for the garment fabric?

Originally posted by Darth Mule@Oct 26 2005, 07:54 PM
I look forward to seeing this costume. I've always thought that was the coolest Cap version.  Have you thought about using fatigue-weight cotton for the garment fabric?
[snapback]1104634[/snapback]​

I'm gonna try and stay in the era. Use material that were available back in 1944. But that may change :) I like the new lightweight material.

Now on the leather, im thinking that the red may be hard to do. So I was thinking of getting brown leather boots and gloves and dying red. It would give it a brownish red look. Then paint the armor parts red.

The hard part is going to be color matching all the various parts.

Chris

Gonna be an awesome project. I'm thinking tho', that the facemask/skullcap is all leather. AT least in the pic I think it is. The skullcap almost looks like a leather flight 'helmet' of old...

my opinion on the mask,
leather, with a hardshell front "face" section, just a thought because of the rivets or whatever they are on the mask,

Originally posted by Army Scout+Oct 26 2005, 11:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Army Scout @ Oct 26 2005, 11:42 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Mule
@Oct 26 2005, 07:54 PM
I look forward to seeing this costume. I've always thought that was the coolest Cap version.  Have you thought about using fatigue-weight cotton for the garment fabric?

I'm gonna try and stay in the era. Use material that were available back in 1944. But that may change :) I like the new lightweight material.

Now on the leather, im thinking that the red may be hard to do. So I was thinking of getting brown leather boots and gloves and dying red. It would give it a brownish red look. Then paint the armor parts red.

Chris
[snapback]1104658[/snapback]​
[/b]
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Wouldn't wool be the proper choice for military clothing for WWII era?

Originally posted by Darth Mule+Oct 27 2005, 04:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Mule @ Oct 27 2005, 04:29 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Army Scout@Oct 26 2005, 11:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Mule
@Oct 26 2005, 07:54 PM

Chris
[snapback]1104658[/snapback]​
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Wouldn't wool be the proper choice for military clothing for WWII era?
[snapback]1105189[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yup, Gonna look into that too :)

Chris

Originally posted by mez7@Oct 27 2005, 01:24 AM
Picture040.jpg

Picture041.jpg

heres mine, looks like an interesting variation of the costume, is this from a new comic i havnt seen or your own design?
[snapback]1104556[/snapback]​

Man, I oh so want a shield... but that facotry x one blows.

Originally posted by Jet Beetle@Oct 30 2005, 04:28 AM
[
Man, I oh so want a shield... but that facotry x one blows.
[snapback]1106309[/snapback]​

mines not factoryX, made it myself from scratch, fiberglass, and its bigger than the factoryX one, still needs to be finished up though, clean up the paint a bit and clearcoat it,

Hi. I've got a Factory X one and I don't think it blows. I think it looks awesome. Problem is you've got to be reeeeeeeally careful with it.

For a completely impervious shield, it scratches easily.

-- Tim

Originally posted by TReinman@Oct 31 2005, 09:06 PM
Hi.  I've got a Factory X one and I don't think it blows.  I think it looks awesome.  Problem is you've got to be reeeeeeeally careful with it.

For a completely impervious shield, it scratches easily.

-- Tim
[snapback]1107118[/snapback]​

Same here even though I don't have a basis for comparison.

Chris,

Being a WWII buff, I hope you'll be correcting the Captain's Bars on the epulets. 2 bars not 3, but that's the only thing amiss on the sketch.

Originally posted by BatDemon@Nov 14 2005, 01:59 PM
Chris,

Being a WWII buff, I hope you'll be correcting the Captain's Bars on the epulets. 2 bars not 3, but that's the only thing amiss on the sketch.
[snapback]1116338[/snapback]​

But are those rank????

Chris

Originally posted by Army Scout+Nov 14 2005, 06:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Army Scout @ Nov 14 2005, 06:41 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-BatDemon
@Nov 14 2005, 01:59 PM
Chris,

[snapback]1116338[/snapback]​

But are those rank????

Chris
[snapback]1116383[/snapback]​
[/b]

I would think it raises too many questions regardless, would ditch the top most one (closest to the neck) as they are not epaulets either, but I don't know the historical lineage of the graphic.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back