MattCorneIM's Finished Foam Iron Man Suit! {Page 3} WOO!

MattCorneIM

Hey Guys,

I am 15, and I'm posting because I would like some help with my iron man mark VI suit.
A bit of history - anger issues etc. and origami calms me down - got bored of making cranes and boxes, so I downloaded Stealth's foam templates, and used them to make a suit (left side) out of paper:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Then, having made this, bought all necessary equipment, and built a stand out of plumbing that is roughly my body size:

Started on the forearm:

Then I moved onto the helmet:

Me wearing it: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

So this is my progress: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

(sorry about putting links and not images - I'm new to therpf)

So that's where Im at guys, I would really appreciate feedback and advice, and I will update as I go along!

Cheers Guys!

Last edited:
Re: 15 Year Old Attempts Iron Man VI Suit

I almost lost patience while spending an hour building that :

... so a half Iron Man in paper is fostering my respect.

Be patient when gluing foam, and result will look much more sweet. You where 50% done, is the main idea to build a left-papered right-foamed suit ?:)

Looks like you are off to a great start! Keep it up and keep on posting your progress.

Just take your time with this buddy, I'm learning so much right now building my suite (war machine )

Biggest thing ..Keep your glue to small 'blobs' and try not to get ANY on the outer shell of the armour!

Good luck!

Looking good! Keep it up - and just push through any places where you get frustrated! If you have any specific questions or issues, feel free to reach out to any of us (PM or thread).

:):thumbsup

Just keep going no matter what! I quit my first attempt at a build and regret it! I wish I would have went with it since Avengers came out :) it would have been nice to have something on display.

For posting pictures:
1. Copy what they call "direct link".
2. Write the post using "advanced" and click on the little picture icon and then paste you direct link into the pop up.

Also, do not quit. Even if you do not like your results. Consider it a learning experience.

Sent from my Apple Newton

Hi guys

Today I realised i could make the helmet out of four pieces only, rather than about 12.

So that's what i did :)

By drawing the templates together on the foam, I cut out the chin as one piece, the faceplate as two, and the top of the head in one:

The chin piece:

The faceplate:

And the finished product:

Although the glue is a bit iffy in some places, I think its better than the first effort, by far.

Just for Comparison:

Less glue around the newer one, and a bit more accurate:

Shows how much less gluing was involved with fewer pieces...

More rounded head on the newer one:

Thats it for now, tomorrow - the bicep or the chest... which do you guys think would be best to do?

Just keep going no matter what! I quit my first attempt at a build and regret it!.

I agree 100% No matter frustrated you might get (if at all) just stand back, take a few deep breaths and realize that EVERY professional had to start somewhere...

Everything looks great so far! You're a heck of a lot braver than I am.

I will say one of the things I've loved about the Iron Man costume is that its very modular.

I ran into a lot of the same issues you have, and with each piece the next one came out better. Luckily you can make an entire suit, and as you keep getting better replace pieces with new ones.

I'm practically on my second suit at this point as I have so far replaced:
Head
Back
Upper arms
Thighs
Ab Plate

And I'm already planning on redoing the lower legs as well.

So my tip, if your kinda unhappy with something, leave it be, start work on the next piece and by the time your done with it, you'll realize what you need to change on the old one. Plus you keep making progress as you plow through.

I almost lost patience while spending an hour building that :

... so a half Iron Man in paper is fostering my respect.

Be patient when gluing foam, and result will look much more sweet. You where 50% done, is the main idea to build a left-papered right-foamed suit ?:)

A Half-paper, half-foam suit? that would be interesting :lol
I made it in paper as a kind of preparation for the foam - for a laugh i might put them together :lol

I will say one of the things I've loved about the Iron Man costume is that its very modular.

I ran into a lot of the same issues you have, and with each piece the next one came out better. Luckily you can make an entire suit, and as you keep getting better replace pieces with new ones.

I'm practically on my second suit at this point as I have so far replaced:
Head
Back
Upper arms
Thighs
Ab Plate

And I'm already planning on redoing the lower legs as well.

So my tip, if your kinda unhappy with something, leave it be, start work on the next piece and by the time your done with it, you'll realize what you need to change on the old one. Plus you keep making progress as you plow through.

I agree 100% No matter frustrated you might get (if at all) just stand back, take a few deep breaths and realize that EVERY professional had to start somewhere...

Everything looks great so far! You're a heck of a lot braver than I am.

Cheers guys, I really appreciate it :)

I just made my first piece. Did a forearm. It looks... well... like I'll have to do it again later to be honest, but man have I learned a lot already. I know I can improve from here.

Keep going dude. You've already shown improvement as you learn the tricks on the Helmet.

Hey guys, worked on the chest today, I think its looks pretty good, but there are some bit i'd like a bit cleaned up, maybe when I have made a bit more of the suit...
20120602130555.jpg

Only one pic for now, but I will be working on the abs later if I have time (party later woop woop)

Cheers guys, and good luck MasterRoshi :)

Hey guys

Today I did the abs, which I am pretty pleased with. It's a bit tight, but thats good - encouraging me to lose weight :)

So I did my thing of making it into as few pieces as possible, and this was most notable on the front:

abplate.jpg

I drew the templates together on the foam, and then cut them out as one. The lines you see are where i will put in slight ridges to distinguish the pieces...

To allow me to take off and put on the abs, I attached velcro to one side, and glued the other side shut:

absf.jpg

On the right, you can see where the velcro is, and where I've glued it.
Here is the finished product:

20120603173043.jpg

So that's todays work :) Let me know what you guys think, and any suggestions/criticisms/questions will be gratefully received :)

--Matt

Re: Mark VI Suit By 15 Year-Old - Abs Done!

You're off to a good start Matt! Aren't you having difficulties with the thickness of the foam you're using? I'd love to help in anyway I can! Keep on checking on my thread. I'd probably go back in time and post some pics of how I got to where I'am right now.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back