Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Post-release)

Just got back from watching it.

Excellent movie through & through :thumbsup

Vivek said it all .....

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a powerful and worthy sequel.

One of the biggest strengths of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is its invoking sense of realism which results in an immersive experience.

The visuals effects by Weta Digital in the movie are so great and seamless that one would forget they are CGI apes and early on it pretty much gets taken for granted that they are inhabiting the world.

Leading the charge is Andy Serkis as Caesar. He has many moments of verbal dialogue and sign language (shown with subtitles), but even during scenes where he doesn't even speak a word he is able to display such range of emotions, it's a fine example of his staggering performance. His collaboration with the visual effects team along with the rest of the performance capture team is leaps ahead of the first film.

Michael Giacchino has given the movie an audacious musical score and I look foward to listening to the whole score when it gets released.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a much darker film than Rise of the Planet of the Apes. And it doesn't really have any lighthearted moments. The movie demands your attention and it's gripping till the end as the events unfold.

........ and that final zoom on the eyes is brilliant !

Turning out to be a fantastic set of prequel movies :cool

Last edited:
Apes riding horses, Optimus Prime riding dinosaurs... What is this world coming too?
better yet, I want a picture of Ceaser riding Optimus Prime!!! :p

Just watched the blu-ray of this and I thought it was excellent. The cgi is amazing, some of the best I have ever seen. It is one thing to do goblins and such as no one knows what a real goblin looks like so you have nothing to really associate it with, but those apes--wow, some of those looked 100% real.

I was really pleased that it wasn't just 'all humans are bad except for one' and 'all the apes are really the good guys' as I was expecting. There are both good and bad on both sides, really well written and executed movie. Can't wait for more of these.

I have a question about motion capture these days. I remember back when the prequels came along and even LOTR stuff, watching the behind the scenes. I remember they would show the actor rehearsing the scene with the actors to give the actors a feeling of how to react. Then they would shoot the scene with just the actors, adding the CG character later.

Now I am watching the behind the scenes stuff of this movie and am seeing Andy Serkis and all the guys in their motion capture suits riding horses and actually acting with the other actors. Nowadays, do they still actually do the real shoot without the motion capture guys, or do they actually appear in the shot and are digitally removed?

Only if it's the real 80's Prime and not the Bayformer.

How about Caesar flying Leader-1... Gobots need their due respect!! (ok... I couldn't write that with a straight face... especially since I watched a couple episodes of that show and my kids told me it was stupid and nothing like Transformers).

Santa brought me this film as I missed it in theaters. Absolutely stunning. Fantastic story and characters. Never thought I could care so much for something that's not real. Can't wait for the next one.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back