Prometheus (Post-release)

What do you get from writing down Prometheus? Did you actually read the interview at all before giving your comment?

Yep. Sounds like he was more interested in talking about viral marketing than material that was actually in the movie. I mean, what are you expecting to get out of a writer who deliberately doesn't write coherent stories?

Lindelof: "I am driven and captivated and interested in these open-ended stories that have a high level of interpretation to them."

So was I to an extent Damon. But you took my favorite, open-ended element from the original movies and told us they're nothing more than Handsome Squidwards in suits. What you leave us with is just a bunch of stupid idiots wandering around in an alien environment who take their protective helmets off because they think they're an "inconvenience".

I don't think you're taking into consideration how difficult it is for writers to work with Ridley Scott. He can be an unrelenting *******. When, as a writer working with him, you are a secondary contributor and any idea he takes to is given precedent ... you'd get kinda frustrated, despite the "honor" of working with him.

So was I to an extent Damon. But you took my favorite, open-ended element from the original movies and told us they're nothing more than Handsome Squidwards in suits. What you leave us with is just a bunch of stupid idiots wandering around in an alien environment who take their protective helmets off because they think they're an "inconvenience".
You're making the incredible (and baseless) assumption that those things you mention are Lindelhof's ideas. I'm pretty sure they're actually Ridley Scott's. In fact, I'd be very surprised to find anything in the script that wasn't originally Scott's idea.

You people are assuming that Ridley Scott is too stupid to read, and will simply shoot whatever he's given without consideration or a second thought. So you point your finger at the guy that, in all reality, Ridley just looked at and said "Here, write this down..."

I don't think you're taking into consideration how difficult it is for writers to work with Ridley Scott. He can be an unrelenting *******. When, as a writer working with him, you are a secondary contributor and any idea he takes to is given precedent ... you'd get kinda frustrated, despite the "honor" of working with him.

Well, one can always say it was a bad writer assigned to an unrelenting ********. At least if there was a good writer, we would have seen evidence of a good story in Prometheus.

When folks finally get to read Jon Spaiht's original draft, they'll finally get to see how much of a straight up Alien prequel this was originally supposed to be - and how much of that DNA made it into Lindelof's rewrite.

Well, one can always say it was a bad writer assigned to an unrelenting ********. At least if there was a good writer, we would have seen evidence of a good story in Prometheus.

I think it tells a tremendous story.
Sorry it doesn't work for you. :)

While I don't agree with this, some of you may want to give it a read:

Why ‘Prometheus’ gets it all wrong, and why it matters

At the end of the day, Prometheus would have been much better off by not being about our beginnings. They should have looked at the cave drawings, saw that the cluster of stars did indeed have a planet that looked habitable, and go from there. No "it's what I choose to believe" lines, no tired old "They'll make me immortal!" subplot, and no random gratuitous zombies.

I'm sure that many think Shaw is a strong character by choosing to stick with her beliefs, but all I see is a writer attempting to make a character look strong with no real justification or even purpose. It's like someone who thinks that having guns is wrong, but later uses guns to kill dozens of people. At the end of the movie, our hero proclaims that guns are still wrong like he never wavered from that belief. That's not a character strength, that's a cheat. You can't just throw stuff that conflicts with what our protagonist believes in, and not have it go anywhere. In fact, this character is so poorly written, the conflict was there from the beginning and it wasn't even treated as a conflict!

Shaw's Beliefs:
- Is so religious that she wears a cross.
- Believes beyond a doubt that we were created by Engineers from space.

And yet I still get replies like this.

I think it tells a tremendous story.
Sorry it doesn't work for you. :)

I don't believe in pain- OW!!!! That hurt! Geez. Anyways, I don't believe in pain. Look! I'm hungry. Listen! It's cold. I have a map, but I don't use it even when I'm lost. Dead harmless creatures scare me, but hissing snake like creatures with teeth are just adorable.

Last edited:
While I don't agree with this, some of you may want to give it a read:

Why ‘Prometheus’ gets it all wrong, and why it matters

I quit reading after paragraph 3. He gets his first "wrong" premise wrong himself by ignoring what is right there on screen in the first few minutes of the film. Another example of someone who did not like the film trying to invent reasons why it is wrong, to convince others not to like it.

The Engineers were not shown "dropped their DNA in the oceans of earth long ago and so created humans". The single Engineer drank the black crap, which ripped his DNA apart into its component pieces, building a new DNA strand. The pieces of the DNA strand are actually shown being covered and mutated by the black stuff, for those who were looking closely, just before montaging into the first cells dividing. The film makers are implying the black goo is the tool used to create the building blocks of life, using the material from existing life. Since that is an overriding theme about the black goo, right to the end of the film, one would have to intentionally ignore it to fit his premise.

“Exact match” meaning the engineers use DNA as their genetic material, as we, and all life on Earth, do.

The first question any biologist would ask when finding life on another world would be, do they have DNA?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back